Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harley Davidson's "American Bombshell"

Edward

Bartender
Tomasso said:
The SI cover, historically, creates and validates supermodel status. Like no other cover. Cheryl, Christie, Heidi, Elle, etc.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Illustrated_Swimsuit_Issue

Aha, thanks for the link. Seems it's something of an institution. Interesting to read about the controversies too, as well as the magazine's approach to facilitating those who prefer to skip it. Side stepping the moral arguments, it does seem a strange disconnect from the regular sporting theme to me, but it obviously sells well.

C

csmiller

From HD pin up girls to SI Super models ....

Edward said:
Aha, thanks for the link. Seems it's something of an institution. Interesting to read about the controversies too, as well as the magazine's approach to facilitating those who prefer to skip it. Side stepping the moral arguments, it does seem a strange disconnect from the regular sporting theme to me, but it obviously sells well.

Well, to many men "girl watching" IS A SPORT ... lol I believe that is the "connection" between sports and swimsuits modeled by females. At least that is what I believe they use as the reason. I'm sure that the fact that it is their best seller has no bearing on it at all ...... :rolleyes:

Craig

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
Solid Citizen said:
Navy1.jpg

Work with a guy in his early 30's looking to buy his 1st bike & its going to be a Harley! He's just the age based customer Harley needs MORE of, as they have struggled with an aging customer base.

I totally agree. I bought my first Harley in my 20s, but the average age keeps going up and up (I think in the past 5 years it has gone up 7 years for the owners. :eek: ). Killing Buell, although it might have made short term sense, will really hurt in the future.

Edward

Bartender
A lot of folks over here view Harleys as a mid-life-crisis thing.... To my mind, where they went wrong has been in selling them as a lifestyle brand instead of concentrating on producing great bikes.... You can't beat the Japense for small, efficient engines that outperform big and lumpy every time. Still, while Harley do well selling a lifestyle brand, they'll have no incentive to do otherwise.

I beg to differ. Harley Davidson do produce great motorcycles. In fact with a ride very unique only to HD. I've owned several..and for years now they have been extremely bulletproof and very reliable. So much so that it's the only type MC that I care to own(and I've owned many Brit and Jap bikes). My wife and I have logged many miles without the slightest malfunction of any kind. Perhaps a mid-life crisis..or second childhood...call it what you will...but whatever..it certainly is great fun...and many do agree..that's what it's all about.
HD

Edward

Bartender
HoosierDaddy said:
I beg to differ. Harley Davidson do produce great motorcycles. In fact with a ride very unique only to HD. I've owned several..and for years now they have been extremely bulletproof and very reliable. So much so that it's the only type MC that I care to own(and I've owned many Brit and Jap bikes). My wife and I have logged many miles without the slightest malfunction of any kind. Perhaps a mid-life crisis..or second childhood...call it what you will...but whatever..it certainly is great fun...and many do agree..that's what it's all about.
HD

I should clarify.... when I say "here", I mean geographically - the UK - not the FL. HD itself really concentratres on the 'lifestyle brand' approach to marketing over here, which I think is the root cause of much of those perceptions. Nothing wrong with the bikes themselves, but the focus is all on selling to the wannabes moreso than the quality of the bikes themselves (which is certainly there). These days, you do still see old school biker types with Harleys, though you're as likely here in London (moreso in some parts) to see some city-boy type commuting to the office on one, which is part of the perception.

Harleys are certainly nice bikes in and of themselves, but they are expensive to buy and run in the UK, as compared to smaller-engined bikes from elsewhere that offer similar levels of performance... size of engine being an issue for insurance in the UK, it makes a difference. Things are always different in the US, though.... not least with your much cheaper fuel bills.... last time I looked at these things, a car doing 10mpg cost the same to run in the US as one getting on for 35mpg over here! :eek: I'd love to run a bike if my situation made it practical, but road conditions here in London are less than ideal (the main reason I don't cycle round this city), and it's just another expense I don't need.... I'll just stick to owning the jackets without the bikes (maybe that's my own midlife crisis??? lol ).

My Dad went back to bikes after a break of 40 odd years - he had one at 16, then it was all cars from 17. Passed a lot of nice things through.... threatens to pick up a Harley every so often, if he can find the right one at the right price - whatever perceptions abound, they do hold their value well on the used market. I'm still hoping he'll pick up something genuinely vintage, like a 50s Triumph, BSA or whatever.... or even a modern Royal Enfield. :)

Harleys now are better than ever. We have a 71 FLH Which is a shovelhead from the AMF years, they are nice bikes, but problematic. Knuckleheads and Panheads are even worse. The Evolution (Block Head) is a great, and efficient motor. My dad had a 99 a year ago, and it was a very reliable and good-running cycle.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As a practical matter, the only motorcycles I see guys my size riding are Harleys. I don't think the other manufacturers really believe that guys like me are out there.

And no disrespect to the model in those pictures, but I think Harley would have done better to hire our own Lolita Haze. :)

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Lenore said:

Maybe it's just me but it looks like they photoshopped out her ribcage in this one (her waist is the same width as her ribcage?). That would be taking "minimizing lumps and bumps" to an extreme!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot