Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harry Truman Stetson 7x Clear Beaver

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Just sold for $22,500

3322550_1.jpg

3322550_5.jpg

3322550_3.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
I hope they got the right provenance for that. Hat makers made hats for Reagan, LBJ, and other presidents to sell in their Prez libraries that have imprints just like the "especially made for" stamp. The stamp doesn't have to mean it actually belonged to or was worn by the person whose name is stamped inside.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
The provenance for such hats almost always comes from a White House employee who claims they were given the hat as a gift, by the President. These Stetsons were always sought-after gifts, which the Presidents all knew, so they probably always had a bunch lying around to give out if asked. Still, I questioned this one because it was a typical high-end Stetson - expensive but not rare - that could have the history described by the previous poster.

The question becomes whether or not you trust the letter from the former employee. An FDR Stetson from the mid-'30s was auctioned last year, with a similar letter from an employee, but it was an incredibly rare hat, very high-end, in mint condition and had all the right stamps. There was no doubt in my mind that it was the real deal, as it was a Stetson that was only around for a very short period in the mid-30's (unfortunately I do not have pics or remember the fedora model - not a western). Needless to say, I wanted that one badly, but it went for the typical astronomical price.

The other thing I always do is try to photo-match the hat with the celebrity wearing a similar style. This one was simple, of course, but the black Homburg being auctioned as FDR-worn, cannot be matched with a similar style. I wouldn't touch it.

It's really amazing how many supposedly celebrity-worn fedoras aren't even a style that the person has ever been photographed wearing. If you were going to keep hats to give away, they would be your style.

Last edited:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Here is my favorite photo of Truman wearing a Stetson. Unfortunately I can no longer find it on the internet:

Hat-Truman.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Wow!! That's a high price for a hat that he may or may not have actually worn. I always wonder about these type of hats as well. Truman could have told an aid to buy some to give away as gifts. Technically they could say it belonged to Truman since he paid for it, but was it a hat he actually wore and was in his personal wardrobe? Or does that even matter?

fedoralover

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
The auction houses promote this stuff any way they can to maximize consignor dollars. The title for this one is "Harry S. Truman’s Stetson Hat", as if he only had one. The description begins with: "President Harry S. Truman’s personally-owned and -worn" - there is no way they could know if he ever wore it.

On the other hand, there is a huge market for anything Presidential - even if it was a gift they gave away and never personally touched. And since we love fedoras, this is still a great item.

fedoracentric

Banned
Looking at this new PBS miniseries of the Roosevelts, I would not say FDR never wore a Homburg. There are plenty of photos of him wearing all sorts of different hats from youth the the White House including a few soft felt hommies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav