Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hasidic Jewish hats

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey! I have 2% Jewish DNA in my ancestry! Got my DNA results back from natgeo, Helix 2.0.
Screenshot-20191219-152606.png
Can't wait to see your first Stagecoach to Hoiche conversion! :)

It's not a Stagecoach but it is a Borsalino that was originally made for the Hasidic Jewish community that I refurbed and sized up year before last...

Borsa-Hat-5-A.jpg

Time to ratchet things up a notch, Terry.
Could you do an add-on with a nice sable wrap for a shtrleimel conversion?!
01777CA1-6777-4610-ACEB-373293BEE8D4.jpeg DC1008F0-EE46-4DE3-A5FF-281F1E4AA848.jpeg 95C42F50-5021-46B4-805F-EFF904B3ADCD.jpeg (Although conversions are generally discouraged)

These are serious works of craftsmanship.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up

Norman Zelnick

New in Town
Interesting read as I just had an "are you Jewish" encounter recently coming out of a grocery store. I was wearing a Scala crushable water repellant black fedora. Featuring only a 2 3/8 brim and crown about 4 inches high. I was unaware that this (?) resembles a Jewish style fedora? In my opinion this is kind of a stretch as far as looking like a Jewish Mans Fedora or am I off base?

Interesting read as I just had an "are you Jewish" encounter recently coming out of a grocery store. I was wearing a Scala crushable water repellant black fedora. Featuring only a 2 3/8 brim and crown about 4 inches high. I was unaware that this (?) resembles a Jewish style fedora? In my opinion this is kind of a stretch as far as looking like a Jewish Mans Fedora or am I off base?
I stopped in to say hello to the priest who was delivering the homily at my brother-in-law’s funeral... an old family friend. He looks up at me as I was wearing my short brimmed black GA Dunn Fedora.... smiles broadly and loudly says.. “My Jewish Rabbi friend!”

Was on my way to “How do folks react to your hat” thread when I saw your comment :)

Norman Zelnick

New in Town
I stopped in to say hello to the priest who was delivering the homily at my brother-in-law’s funeral... an old family friend. He looks up at me as I was wearing my short brimmed black GA Dunn Fedora.... smiles broadly and loudly says.. “My Jewish Rabbi friend!”

Was on my way to “How do folks react to your hat” thread when I saw your comment :)
That is a nice encounter compared to the one I had. The gentleman (that's a stretch) was rude and asked the question in a hostile manner. He then added some other negative comments after I informed him I was not Jewish but enjoy a more stylish hat than just a baseball hat and, not everyone who wears a black hat of similar fedora family of hats happens to be Jewish. That is the first time I was asked that question and I wondered if the Scala Fedora "Classico" style is indicative of or looking more like one of the Jewish style fedora hats men of that culture happen to wear to anyone's knowledge?

Anytime I wear a leather jacket and any style of fedora I get the Indiana Jones comments so would not put too much weight on a bystander's opinion. Not many hat wearers out there.......not many knowledgeable folks on the sidelines either.

glider

A-List Customer
It would seem to me that a stranger asking if I was Jewish, or Catholic for that matter, would be very rude. I would probably reply with, are you an idiot with the hope that they would be offended.

It wasn't the hat, it was the case of gefilte fish you were carrying out to the car. :p

It would seem to me that a stranger asking if I was Jewish, or Catholic for that matter, would be very rude. I would probably reply with, are you an idiot with the hope that they would be offended.

Yeah, but they tend to regret it when you insist on showing them you're circumsized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider