Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hasidic Jewish hats

abe ny

Familiar Face
I need help with this type of hat can anybody help me?

Attachments

• IMG_3749.JPG
    IMG_3749.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,580
I need a brim press to get the brim flat and straight and want the hair more black
I made a brim press out of 3/4" plywood. Just cut a hole in the plywood to match the outer dimension of the block. You will need one for each size block you are using. Then place the hat on a sheet of plywood, place the cutout sheet over the crown of the hat sandwiching the brim between the two sheets of wood. Then clamp the wood together. I use 4 clamps one for each quadrant. If you steam/press the brim flat and place it between the wood while still ward and damp you should get a perfectly flat brim. I use this method for even wide brimmed western hats and they turn out flat. Let it sit overnight, iron again in the morning with a good heavy steam iron and you should get the effect you desire.
Cannot help you with getting the felt blacker......just buy blacker felt to start with. If you are not happy with your supplier then find another one.

Edward

Bartender
I've come back to this (excellent) thread with a question. Recently, I spotted this hat on eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

I very much like this with the wide brim-binding. It is being sold as a 'Hasidic Jewish Hat'. Which gave me pause. As an outsider to that community, and a gentile who wears a black fedora as a fashion choice, is there anything specifically Jewish about this style of black fedora of which I should be aware? To be clear, my concern here is that I would hate to upset anyone by wearing something that has in and of itself a very specific religious meaning (as distinct from being simply a popular form of head covering, the religious aspect being that the head is covered rather than the manner of the cover itself). I do sometimes cross paths with people from the Hasidic community in our local supermarket, but I'm hesitant to ask any of them about their clothing; my understanding is that there's an element of religious modesty in the way these gentlemen dress, and I'd hate to insult them by treating what to them is observant, religious dress as a fashion item. (Although not Catholic, as a practising Christian I've had reservations myself about the crucifix being adopted as a fashion item at times over the years, so I would consider it important to be sensitive to other faith paths that way too.)

Edward

Bartender
Oh I think you're fine. I'm Jewish, grew up secular, became hasidic for a short while (Chabad sect), and now live in Israel. The hats reflect aristocratic polish dress from the 1600s, when there was a major massacre against Jews in 1648. Also the community was badly demoralized by a false Messiah, shabbatai Ben tzvi. Also at that time the Jews of Lithuania were affluent and educated, and looked down on the Jewish country folk in Poland and Ukraine. As a result Baal Shem Tov founded the Hasidic movement as kind of spiritual revival for the simple country folks, a badly demoralized people. And like people who have endured major crises, they became conservative to the point of being stuck in their ways. Think of native Americans who dress like cowboys. It's not religious per say, although there is a religious convention to keep the head covered to show humility before Gd. It could be any kind of head covering. But just wearing a hasidic style hat you should be fine. In fact you could probably go to hasidic hat dealer and just explain the situation, and he'll professionally block it in the store for you

Thank-you for this reply, it's very helpful. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk