Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Ads

Apparel Arts Volume 1.3, Summer 1932

here are the hat ads from the above mentioned issue of Apparel Arts.

Dobbs

Summer1932HatAd1.jpg

Stetson, Another one for Brad (text below)

Summer1932HatAd2.jpg

The Stetson Re-enforced Edge

Patent 1848832, granted by the United States Patent Office to the John B. Stetson Company, confirms what every hatter has known for a year: the Stetson Re-enforced Edge is a revolutionary improvement in hat making. It gives to fine hats distinctive, lasting brim lines never known before. And it gives to dealers a definite sales advantage - something to talk about - something every customer can see and understand. Invented and perfected at the Stetson factory, the Re-enforced Edge commanded wide attention at its introduction and has been increasingly successful ever since. It is exclusive with Stetson. And it is the only brim edge in use today that is protected by United States patent!

The New Stetsons

Stetson representatives are now on the road with the finest line it has ever been our privilege to offer. new styles, new colors, new dies, new beauty of trim and finish. And another new feature - the Stetson Kettle Edge - of which, more later. So Stetson goes right on making better hats for men t wear - which means better hats for merchants to sell. John B. Stetson Co., Philadelphia, New York, London, Paris.

Mallory

Summer1932HatAd3.jpg

Colby

Summer1932HatAd4.jpg

Portis

Summer1932HatAd5.jpg

bk

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
bk, those ads are wonderful! Thanks for posting them, and especially for the text on the Stetson. It's funny they tried to rub it in to Cavanagh that their edge was the only one currently protected by patent, except that Cavanagh had been granted his second one the year before. What a puzzler.lol

I got a kick out of the Dobbs colors - Zinc, (I can't quite make out the second one, looks like Mantic?), Pigeon Gray, Pecan and Myrtle. I'll take one of each!

Brad

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I agree- these Indy brims don't feel right when I'm wearing a tailored suit with natural shoulders. I tend to grab the 2 1/4" brim more than the 2 1/2"- 2 3/4" these days. Just keep the crown tall with very little taper and I'd be very satisfied.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How great looking is this hat
hatad001.jpg

What I would do for five or six of these...

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
and these...
Stetson9231933LD.jpg

This is a terrific thread.
Along with Marc's great window display photos this thread should also be a sticky. This is great reference material.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Here's a neat ad from 1906:

CKDerby1906.jpg

To put the ad into context:

This same year, sales of Derbies had fallen dramatically, which perhaps explains the ad copy along the top - sort of saying, "Hey, if you're going to buy a Derby, buy an authentic one!"

Sales were so slow that John Cavanagh, superintendent of C & K, suggested introducing a line of soft felt hats to try and turn things around. Those sales were so good that soft felt hats became the dominant product, and helped Cavanagh to become general manager and vice-president in 1907.

Brad

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
This is easily my favorite thread! Inspires me to find some old Australian Akubra adds!... and buy more hats... actually I don't think I needed the help!?!

Thanks for this - great stuff!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here are a decent number of hat ads that I've downloaded from the Lounge, ebay, and various other sites. Most of them probably started out as James Powers posts, as he seems to be the greatest resource of hat advertising that we've got.

Lefty said:
Here are a decent number of hat ads that I've downloaded from the Lounge, ebay, and various other sites. Most of them probably started out as James Powers posts, as he seems to be the greatest resource of hat advertising that we've got.

You have quite a collection there. Some look familiar but some are entirely new to me. I'll have to keep that link so that I can steal a few for myself. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou