Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat and Glove Era Advise & Etiquette

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I've amassed a small collection of assorted gloves over the years (once at the antique market, a vendor was closing shop and selling every pair for $1!). The trouble is, most events I'd be tempted to wear them to tend to be art receptions, that usually involve finger food. I can't imagine snacking on cheese, chips, dips, brownies, etc. while wearing gloves. Because of this, I resort to arm warmers and fingerless gloves.

Foofoogal

Banned
I just feel better with them on though. Maybe mental comfort.
I am now concerned about going to the gym and touching stuff.
The difference is it has affected me personally and someone died.
I have a ton of gorgeous vintage gloves but cannot bring myself to sell any unless they are too small or more plain.
As for as food. that was why fancy toothpicks were invented and used in vintage times and fancy tongs.
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Perhaps I should find my own fancy miniature tongs and such to bring along. ;) Often a serving utensil is provided to move to food onto one's own dish, but the chore of then getting it unmessily to the mouth remains.

Idledame

Practically Family
I think this will answer many of the questions.
From Miss Abigail's glove etiquette

http://www.missabigail.com/advice/q103.html

20th Century Glove Etiquette
Source: Gloves: Fashion and Etiquette
~ pp. 20-21 ~

Definite Don'ts
Don't ever appear in public without gloves.
Don't eat, drink, or smoke with gloves on.
Don't play cards with gloves on.
Don't apply makeup with gloves on.
Don't wear jewelry over gloves, with the exception of bracelets.
Don't make a habit of carrying your gloves ~ they should be considered an integral part of your costume.
Don't wear short gloves to a very gala ball, court presentation or 'White Tie' affair at the White House or in honor of a celebrity.

Definite Do's

Do wear gloves when you go shopping, visiting, driving; and for outdoor festivities such as garden parties, receptions.
Do wear gloves as a mark of respect in a place of worship.
Do wear gloves for formal indoor occasions: receptions, balls, and on arrival at a luncheon or dinner party.
Do keep gloves on in a receiving line.
Do keep gloves on while dancing at a formal party.
Do keep gloves on at a cocktail party until the drinks and hors d'oeuvres are passed. Then turn gloves back at the wrist or remove one glove.
Do remove gloves entirely at the dining table.
Do remove gloves after your arrival at an informal party or luncheon, leaving them with your coat.

Dutchess

Familiar Face
Thank you for that information! I usually do not wear gloves, but I want to start wearing them this autumn. Now I don't feel insecure about when what and where :)

Foofoogal

Banned
Is there a vintage hat resource that I do not know about. I am so tired of finding great vintage hats and no info anywhere on them.

Miss Alexis Exclusive is my newest research. Fur hat.
Adele Clair hats and designer is still my mission in life to find something about and how I originally found the FL a long time ago.
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Glove/hat ettiquette

Hi all~Since I have vertually NO ONE to reffer my questions to,SO...... I watch OLD vintage movies! "All about Eve";"Somelike it hot":"Gentlemen Preffer Blondes";"White Christmas";all of them!They are great period correct reffrence material!Also,there is a website www.fashion-era.com check those places out!also,in the pattern companies, they are now re-producing vintage patterns which also show the proper hats & glove lengths.just FYI!

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
1 more thing~

watch the old interviews of Bette Davis, it shows her removing the glove off the hand she's going to use to smoke with and clinching it into her other hand!also there is a glove clip availible so that you can clip the gloves together.Also, I rember my mother placing her gloves together and looping them through her thin belt on her right side!
Also they are now making purse hangers for the edge of the table to hook your pocketbook onto!

miss_elise

Practically Family
sterring this thread back a little towards hats...

what kind of hat do you wear to the office?
I presume you remove your gloves at work, and one would also presume your hat, so then what kind of hat do you wear between office and home as some can be a little tricky to attach and organise your hair around...

any ideas and/or pictures?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I often fedora. I just throw my hair up under it and then re-comb when I get there. I've not yet worn gloves, and this isn't honestly a lady's hat. (Well, it's hopefully a lady's hat as it is MY hat, but it's a fairly masculine fedora)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
miss_elise said:
sterring this thread back a little towards hats...

what kind of hat do you wear to the office?
I presume you remove your gloves at work, and one would also presume your hat, so then what kind of hat do you wear between office and home as some can be a little tricky to attach and organise your hair around...

any ideas and/or pictures?

I'm partial to the small hats that sit on the back of my head, such as this one:

hat4.jpg

It stays on with a couple of bobby pins at the sides, and sits behind my front roll. Comes on and off easily.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Just now, watching "Clash by Night", Barbara Stanwyck's character is sitting in a cafe, holding her cigarette in a gloved hand, drinking coffee with a bare hand. I wonder if she's lost the one glove, because she walks through the town carrying her suitcase, still one glove on, one glove nowhere in sight.

palespider

One of the Regulars
gloves

Iv become obsessed with gloves lately, but i have no idea what size i am. I am surprised to find alot of vintage gloves for sale but wanted to know if sizing for gloves has changed at all over the years like clothing? I know fabric will depend on give of a glove. [huh]

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I was under the impression that ladies didn't usually remove their hats? Especially if it's a smaller one and is supposed to fit with your hairstyle.
Forgive my ignorance though, I'm very new to the whole hat thing. :)

Lady Cecilia

New in Town
A question about hat etiquette: I know ladies do not remove their hats when entering a church (and for several other occasions), but what if the lady is wearing a man's hat like a fedora? Does the same rule count or should she remove her hat like men do?

Quick side note about gloves too... I was talking to my grandmother recently - she's got endless knowledge of 40s/50s fashion having been a dressmaker and milliner - and she mentioned how in the 40s during WWII it was fashionable for young women to wear only one glove and carry the other one in the gloved hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ