Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat and Glove Era Advise & Etiquette

Viola

Call Me a Cab
The width is fine but I always have at least an extra joint of length in the fingers and then it looks less than lovely. :rage:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As far as rings go, if you're wearing one with a protruding stone, you might turn the stone inward so it doesn't create wear on the top of the glove, especially if it's a favorite pair. I once had a ring wear right thru one of my favorites, and have been very careful about it ever since.

Sizewise, look for nylon gloves -- they're stretchable and forgiving when it comes to fit. Mesh gloves are another option for summer.

Fingerless gloves are appropriate when you're sitting on a high stool in a cold countinghouse, clerking for the firm of Scrooge and Marley.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Fingerless gloves are appropriate when you're sitting on a high stool in a cold countinghouse, clerking for the firm of Scrooge and Marley.

aka Neecerie's cubicle at Superglobalhypermega Corp. where they don't heat it in winter...or cool it in summer.

I own fuzzy gloves with mitten covers that button over the bare fingers for that...*

* I remove them -at- my desk before going to visit the loo

Viola

Call Me a Cab
God bless us, everyone!

Especially you, Lizzie, for making me giggle through tea.

But I meant the lacy kind of fingerless ones various Western-wear websites tell me are historic but may actually not be at all. They have them with girls with parasols or "fallen dove" wear and I was wondering when/if these were ever worn before the '80s.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I'm glad someone started this thread because I was wondering about the gloves and I've lost my old hatiquette links but they were mainly in Victorian context anyway.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I wear vintage gloves now with all my vintage...

I've got five pairs currently that go with most everything. Plus two other later vintage pairs that I bought years ago. I think they really help finish a vintage outfit.

With having a lot of modern evening gowns worn mostly to ballroom and other dance events I've had various long and short modern gloves for many years. All of the above vintage and modern are not winter season gloves, but dressy gloves.

For cold weather, I've currently got a pair of light pink smooth leather and a pair of red suede that I keep in the car to wear when driving.

I'm pretty tough on my hands, so I'm always wearing gloves to protect as much as I can, and I always keep hand lotion in the car and in the house.

I encourage you to check out my vintage/art deco clothing Picture Trail album, as you can see there I love gloves!
www.picturetrail.com/careyteaparty
Here's a pic of the vintage pair I wore with my outfit today:
363276939.jpg

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Does anyone know anything regarding wearing gloves whilst playing sports?
I'm thinking sports like shuttlecocks, croquet, etc. I wore a pair of white gloves during our apartment's Kentucky Derby shuttlecock game and was roasting alive, it was so hot. Maybe cotton crochet gloves would have been better?

Rachael

A-List Customer
Viola said:
I have no luck finding ladies' gloves that fit, as I have ridiculously small hands and short fingers. In winter gloves I wear Youth-sized stretchy gloves.

I have been looking for a size chart that helps for gloves; my hands are slender by modern standards but many vintage gloves are snug. The real problem I have is finger length; most gloves I try are much too short in the fingers. Is there a size chart that measures both width of palm and length of fingers?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Clearly we need to swap out parts of our hands! I have square palms and short fingers. It's all for science! lol

Dr. Moreau's Glove Shoppe.

Etiquette-wise, is there a rule on what the gloves match, in terms of colour? Or as long as they compliment SOMETHING in terms of outfit, or shoes, or hat, you're in like Flynn?

Lillemor

One Too Many
My hands are small, wide and I have short fingers. Anything but dainty.:(

Same with my feet (substitute toes for fingers thoughlol ).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor has my hands!

My feet are wide with short toes, but I don't think my feet can qualify for "small" though. Women's 8W is pretty stolid. For shoes that aren't cut wide I end up going sizes up, too. :(

klind65

One of the Regulars
Vintage glove etiquette

Does anyone know the correct vintage glove etiquette?
During the Golden Era, was it proper to remove one's gloves when dining? Having a highball ....or..? Was it mandatory to keep them on at all times when outdoors? What were the rules and the reasoning behind them?

Inky

One Too Many
klind65 said:
Does anyone know the correct vintage glove etiquette?
During the Golden Era, was it proper to remove one's gloves when dining? Having a highball ....or..? Was it mandatory to keep them on at all times when outdoors? What were the rules and the reasoning behind them?

Coutureallure just did a series of posts in July on vintage etiquette and one was gloves and handbags - perhaps this will help with some of your questions until someone more well-versed in glove wearing can post:

http://coutureallure.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-carry-purse-and-wear-gloves-like.html

and some 1961 tips:

http://www.missabigail.com/advice/q103.html

and even more glove info:

http://gaspargloves.com/glove_etquette.html

Foofoogal

Banned
In response to the news lately I will suggest once again that gloves make a huge comeback. To me it cannot hurt to help ward off the Swine flu H1N1 virus.
This has touched very close to home and anything that may help should be considered.
Stopping all contact sports is also a start.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
A little glove talk...
4005173942_fc146e1d7a.jpg

I've had these for years, thought they were mid 60s until I found an ad for them in a 1952 fashion magazine!

4005173804_e2dc453f01.jpg

Here's the label:

4005173968_a9b24abf22_o.jpg

Also, this month's Threads magazine has an article and pattern on making gloves. Looks like fun!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
In response to the news lately I will suggest once again that gloves make a huge comeback. To me it cannot hurt to help ward off the Swine flu H1N1 virus.

:eek:fftopic: Last month, I contracted H1N1 (confirmed via blood test.) You are right, anything that can help should be considered, but the virus is airborne. If you are sharing air with someone who has it, nothing short of a HAZMAT will save you.

Gloves in general absorb bacteria, and since we come into contact with it any time we aren't in quarantine (as I was), they will likely help to spread the disease. Hands are easier to clean than gloves are, and you would be needing to clean your gloves more often than hands.

Back on topic!

zombi

A-List Customer
fuzzylizzie said:
A little glove talk...
4005173942_fc146e1d7a.jpg

I've had these for years, thought they were mid 60s until I found an ad for them in a 1952 fashion magazine!

4005173804_e2dc453f01.jpg

Here's the label:

4005173968_a9b24abf22_o.jpg

Also, this month's Threads magazine has an article and pattern on making gloves. Looks like fun!
that is so cool!!

I am going to have to check out the magazine. I love gloves, but I don't really know how/when/what kind to wear. They sort of mystify me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points