Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat and Glove Era Advise & Etiquette

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
epr25 Wow, you look like a million bucks, girlfriend!

WHY were you worried my dear? This is a terrific outfit head to toe! All you need to finish it off is a cute little 40s purse- If you haven't got one already you might you might try looking on evilBay under vintage accessories. Type in: 40s purse, or check out this type of vintage purse, its become my favorite- and up untill I discovered vintage clothing I hated carrying a purse!
Type in: corde' purse
BTW, I looove your avatar pic!!

epr25 said:
Well I wantghtred to thank all of you for you suggestions. I have included a photo of what I fianlly landed on wearing for this bridal show. (I look weird in the photo because it was super windy and I was just hoping to get the phot shot before my hat blew away) Which by the way was really cool. There were a large amoutn of the dresses that arrived with the brides. There was a lady that was married in 41 that was going to give me her dress because her daughter didn't want it. Can you imagine. Anyway she wound up donating it to the museum. But it was great to hear all the stories. I would recomend goigng to something like this if you ever see it in you area.

mesmall.jpg
[/IMG]

Foofoogal

Banned
Gloves and Swine Flu?

With the current situation I was wondering if any of you ladies would be wearing gloves more. I would think a perfect time to bring gloves back in full force. Makes practical sense to me.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
At this point...wearing gloves or a mask for that matter....is really not needed.

I cannot see wearing my good vintage gloves as a germ barrier to do practical things.....waste of good fabrics.

If it ever came to wearing gloves and masks daily...I would wear actual -germ barrier ones-, a layer of vintage cotton is not going to prevent one from getting the flu...of any sort...porcine or avian...or even that pesky old human flu.

Foofoogal

Banned
not sure what you mean by that. I don't want it is why I am asking.
Fort Worth Texas has shut down their whole school district. 144 schools.
Does anyone know the history of when or why women started wearing gloves in the first place. Hygiene must of played a big role as well as fashion.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
surely they would. at least help.

washing your hands helps...for the length of time it takes one to sing the Alphabet song.

So either you are taking -off- your gloves to do things like pee....and then washing hands.....and then putting the gloves down where...on a counter with germs? or holding them? at which point you are -touching- the outside of the gloves...where the germs are......

Or not taking them off and not washing your hands -often enough-

Pretty much voids the barrier that a cotton glove would be.

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/travel/
--------------------------------
No matter what, don't touch what you don't have to.

For example, people who visit the lavatory touch the handles on the bathroom doors, toilets, sinks and towel dispensers. So even though you may eradicate any nasty microbes on your hands with a vigorous wash, if you touch the tap, towel dispenser or door handle afterwards you may be layering the germs on again.

In the old days, ladies wore cotton gloves when going out in public. That might be a fashion due for a comeback. An alternative could be using a handkerchief or tissue when opening doors.

And keep a clean handkerchief or tissue handy to dab your eyes, which easily get watery on cold, windy days or during a teary airport farewell. Using a hankie that you've just blown your nose in can end up transferring germs or creating an eye infection.

The author is a Toronto-based travel writer and a frequent, but not paranoid, flier.
-------------------
seems I am not the only one thinking this.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
No matter what, don't touch what you don't have to.

For example, people who visit the lavatory touch the handles on the bathroom doors, toilets, sinks and towel dispensers. So even though you may eradicate any nasty microbes on your hands with a vigorous wash, if you touch the tap, towel dispenser or door handle afterwards you may be layering the germs on again.

In the old days, ladies wore cotton gloves when going out in public. That might be a fashion due for a comeback. An alternative could be using a handkerchief or tissue when opening doors.

And keep a clean handkerchief or tissue handy to dab your eyes, which easily get watery on cold, windy days or during a teary airport farewell. Using a hankie that you've just blown your nose in can end up transferring germs or creating an eye infection.

The author is a Toronto-based travel writer and a frequent, but not paranoid, flier.
-------------------
seems I am not the only one thinking this.

I still don't get how using a -paper- towel to open the door and touch surfaces wont work..

Where are you going to put the gloves when you take them off to pee?

on the counter? germs there....

I am -quite- sure the ladies of old did not pee with their gloves on...

The moment you start removing and then re-donning the gloves....germs from the outside....say from where you hold them in your hands....are then -on your hands-....

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:

This is why many people will use a paper towel to turn off the tap in public restrooms.

from http://www.operagloves.com/history.html

"The wearing of gloves by women had been popular since the time of Catherine de Medici, but the Empress Josephine, by her fancy for long gloves, started a nationwide craze, which rapidly spread throughout all Europe and America, during the Napoleonic period. (She actually wore gloves for somewhat prosaic reasons, since she was very dissatisfied with her hands, thinking them ugly; this is the same motivation that drove another famous beauty, Vivien Leigh, to wear gloves as frequently as she could.)"

So it seems like the wearing of gloves may be been akin to a Hollywood fashion craze.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
This is why many people will use a paper towel to turn off the tap in public restrooms.

from http://www.operagloves.com/history.html

"The wearing of gloves by women had been popular since the time of Catherine de Medici, but the Empress Josephine, by her fancy for long gloves, started a nationwide craze, which rapidly spread throughout all Europe and America, during the Napoleonic period. (She actually wore gloves for somewhat prosaic reasons, since she was very dissatisfied with her hands, thinking them ugly; this is the same motivation that drove another famous beauty, Vivien Leigh, to wear gloves as frequently as she could.)"

So it seems like the wearing of gloves may be been akin to a Hollywood fashion craze.

Yep....and I am pretty sure that in the Swine flu epidemic of 1918.....it wasn't only the glove-less that died....

Washing ones hands is the best path to avoidance.

Foofoogal

Banned
Where are you going to put the gloves when you take them off to pee?

why take them off at all? Unless you are a sloppy pee er. lol

I am an avid hand washer. I guess this topic is not serious if you are not near a border state. I have family that live in texas so am more concerned but not paranoid about this.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:

I am an avid hand washer. I guess this topic is not serious if you are not near a border state. I have family that live in texas so am more concerned but not paranoid about this.

ok....so let me get this right.

You are suggesting we do not remove our gloves to pee...and thus also do not wash our hands afterward...?

:rolleyes:

yea...welcome to California dear....its not like i am in the great frozen north....but I will just continue to -wash my hands- more often.

Foofoogal

Banned
well, you can do whatever you want to do. Pee with or without your gloves on. When I enter public bathrooms I barely touch anything and yes I do use paper towels after scrubbing my hands to open the door.
My point is vintage cotton gloves would work against germs and they are also more practical and green or good for the environment than loads of disposable gloves.
Wear a pair every day and bleach them. Simple.
Vintage white cotton gloves are very reasonably priced.
Seems like a reasonable ? to ask on a vintage board where many ladies already wear gloves for other reasons.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:

I live in Maryland, where we have 6 confirmed cases. I also have a good friend, who is an infectious disease doctor and head of intern education at John's Hopkins University Hospital and is the go-to doc for the local news programs when scares come up. His advice is to wash hands, cover your mouth when you cough and stay home when you are sick. This flu is no more dangerous than any other flu. On last night's news, I heard that Mexico had down-graded it's "epidemic" to 6 confirmed deaths and a total of 24 confirmed cases. The reason why people in Mexico are dying from it is because their health care system is in horrible shape. People is developed nations don't die of the flu unless they are elderly and in bad shape or have otherwise compromised immune systems. Yes, if you are or work with AIDS or cancer patients, take extreme measures, but the rest of us don't need to worry. As for the 6 confirmed cases here, they all caught it from a family member who had traveled to Mexico.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Great advice kamikat. I worked at an airport during the SARS scare and I believe the same as you. In addition to washing your hands, try not to touch your face. That is how the virus mainly enters your body. People will touch a contaminated surface, then rub or touch their face without knowing it.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
My point is vintage cotton gloves would work against germs and they are also more practical and green or good for the environment than loads of disposable gloves.

I'm not sure cotton gloves are enough of a germ-barrier. I have never seen a doctor/dentist/technician/anyone in the health field use cotton gloves - only latex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points