Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat-astrophe

JCBurns

Familiar Face
pics as requested

GoneSolo here is the button. This was the best I could get..sorry.

P1010292.jpg

And for those interested here is the liner.

P1010300.jpg

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
JCBurns said:
I have decided to add a couple of shots of the T&J and the carnage.
\
P1010282.jpg

P1010283.jpg

IndyCop, It was not a custom, simply a very nice Knox that I was lucky enough to find in a local antique store...for $38!!! Waaaaaaaa

Oh and Carter, I'm a 7 3/8. LOL

JCBurns

What a horrible loss. That lid is wonderful. If it were me I would be tempted to have one of the hatters make a clone of that hat and put the surviving ribbon and wind trolley on it. Atleast it will live on in a certain respect.

JCBurns

Familiar Face
You know, the thing that really kills me is this is absolutely the finest, softest felt I have come across in my small collection of hats. I just don't know if I will ever be able to replicate it or find something as nice. Of all the damn hats to do this to! Argh!!!!

JCBurns

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am very sorry to see this. Not to in any way make light of
your horrible turn of events, but honestly I think it's still wearable.
I think the hole could be in a worse place aesthetically (such as
the crown) and adds a bit of mystery to the hat. A bit like a bullet
hole in a crown- a story to tell... or not to tell.

But yeah, it's no longer the pretty original it once was. I've never
put my mitts on a Tom and Jerry.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
My sympathies for your loss.

I am amazed that you were able to procure that hat here for so little. You have often beat me to deals here (in some case by mere minutes) but if I remember correctly your collection is quite impressive. I agree with others here-DON'T TRASH IT!

You could make a stingy brim out of it though I think it would be really stingy. You could also wear it as is but just not for the same occasions. Whatever you do don't get rid of it but if you cannot bear to look at it anymore I am sure that there are plenty of folks here who would give the hat a good home (including me!) without gutting it. You know, it kind of reminds me of a tan Dobbs I have. Oh, the color is different and mine doesn't have a wind string but they look to be about the same proportions. Come to think of it, it is a 7 3/8 too, say are you interested?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Have you measured to see how much brim you would have if you stingied it? If you bound the brim also would that help to make it look a little bigger than it would actually be?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't "stingy" it - just leave it as is. You'll have a great story to relate...or you can let it be a mystery.

"Wow - look at that hole in your hat..."
"Yeah...you should see the other guy!"

Or something like someone was wearing it in New Jersey on Halloween in 1938 when the aliens landed and took a hit from above, and you're the latest protector if this historic artifact.

A bullet just missed you.

"Then there was that time a little meteorite just missed me - see!"

MattJH

One Too Many
I would absolutely wear it just as is. There's nothing wrong with it. Just some wear and tear from use. It happens. It doesn't mean that the hat is ruined, just not in the pristine shape you've been keeping it in.

JCBurns

Familiar Face
BK, your pictured doesn't seem to have come through and I'd love to see what could be worse. LOL And yes, I'm afraid it was indeed a 7 3/8. So sorry! Believe me I VERY sorry this happened!

JCBurns

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
For a hat as rare as this one, it seems that there was variation among the models. The poster appears to show a bound edge, yours has a few rows of stitching, and BKs is just covered with them.
TomNJerry2.jpg

I guess Dinerman has/had one that was completely different, but I can't find any working photo links for it.

Then, you've got jamespowers variation on the ribbon (and brim width, and maybe crown height) .
Picture034.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
JCBurns said:
I have decided to add a couple of shots of the T&J and the carnage.

IndyCop, It was not a custom, simply a very nice Knox that I was lucky enough to find in a local antique store...for $38!!! Waaaaaaaa

Oh and Carter, I'm a 7 3/8. LOL

JCBurns

That would make a very stingy brim. Very tragic accident:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk