Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Brushes & Traditional Leather Hat Boxes

Topper

Vendor
Anyone know a good supplier (preferably manufacturer) of
1)Curved Hat Brushes

2)Leather Hat boxes

Cheers
Doug

Magus

Practically Family
Topper said:
Anyone know a good supplier (preferably manufacturer) of
1)Curved Hat Brushes

2)Leather Hat boxes

Cheers
Doug

Greetings Doug,

You can find vintage hat boxes at auction sites, though most of them are for top hats. You can also find a few on the web in the for storage from $75 -$500 range. Travel boxes tend to be harder to find. Each companies' box would be slightly different of course, but the ones I have held were basically wood boxes covered in very thin leather that is slightly heavier than garment thickness and glued down to the underlying wood. You will mostly find oval or round boxes as sewing corners is not an easy thing to do.

I have seen Top hat models for travel priced at around $2500(US). The one made for the Stetson 100 is good and sturdy...though...to me...aesthetically it looks like an older leather Samsonite overnight suitcase. (Just my opinion though...as I am sure its a fine box that would serve the owner well.)

The reason I am current on all this is that I am making custom leather hat boxes. In my search for equipment to assist in the process I have found that the parts necessary to sew corners are not even being made anymore. So...I am still doing it all by hand. If you wish more information feel free to contact me here.

Good luck in your search.
M

Topper

Vendor
Thanks Aaron for the US site - very helpful. The UK one i had seen already and had tried links form it to no avail.

Have a number form eBAy already, but looking for new ones.

Magnus - email me as I think i have a contact who may have the corner tool + hand and automated machines you are looking for.

Also in possibly Buying if will fit Toppers.

As to leather hat boxes - only seen 2 so far in UK one is for £100 and imported from asia, and not the best, the other is £1000 ! traditional but expensive but very nice.

Cheers
Doug

Magus

Practically Family
Topper said:
Thanks Aaron for the US site - very helpful. The UK one i had seen already and had tried links form it to no avail.

Have a number form eBAy already, but looking for new ones.

Magnus - email me as I think i have a contact who may have the corner tool + hand and automated machines you are looking for.

Also in possibly Buying if will fit Toppers.

As to leather hat boxes - only seen 2 so far in UK one is for £100 and imported from asia, and not the best, the other is £1000 ! traditional but expensive but very nice.

Cheers
Doug

Hi there Topper,

The corner adapters are specific to the machine. But I am happy to find new resources so I look forward to speaking with you. I can not PM you as you do not have that information open to the rest of us. Let me know what you are thinking as I believe that I might be able to meet your expectations in regards to a hatbox for a fedora. If you are looking for one to hold top hats...I have not gone into that area ....yet...And I do see them regularly on eBay.

My Best,
Magus

Topper

Vendor
Hi Magnus

ditto on the PM, could not contact you either :-( email me on

doug@ascot-tophats.co.uk

My new company is just opening up &

www.ascot-tophats.co.uk website will be updated soon :)

Magus said:
Hi there Topper,

The corner adapters are specific to the machine. But I am happy to find new resources so I look forward to speaking with you. I can not PM you as you do not have that information open to the rest of us. Let me know what you are thinking as I believe that I might be able to meet your expectations in regards to a hatbox for a fedora. If you are looking for one to hold top hats...I have not gone into that area ....yet...And I do see them regularly on eBay.

My Best,
Magus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner