Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat care tools??

GregNYC

One Too Many
Yes, as I understood it, it was because of the stuff they spray the hats with. Sometimes the brushes get a bit of color on them and if you use a dark brush on a light hat, a darker shading can be transferred to the hat. If you do dark brushes only on dark hats and light brushes on light hats you would avoid any shading transfer. At least, that is how I understood it.

Over the long run, I probably would agree even though I haven't yet run into it. Better safe than sorry. (I'm still a beginner.)

tommyK

One Too Many
I still fondly recollect gaining colored fingers from handling a green Stetson Monza which I purchased new a couple years back. It's a nice hat but I wouldn't want to use the same brush on a light hat, esp. on my winter white Biltmore "Capone".

This why I don't buy new hats anymore. Never had any color or much in the way of fibers come off old hats unless I'm using sandpaper on them

tommyK

One Too Many
I'm a 7 1/2, we don't fair much better but they are out there. Besides, it's better on the wallet if they don't come too often!

fedoracentric

Banned
Yeah size sure does matter. Not long ago I bought a Stetson for $80 Buy-It-Now that the seller mislabeled on size. It was sold as a small to medium hat but ended up as a 7-3/8. I threw it back on ebay correctly labeled and got $200 for it! Sheese.

skydog757

A-List Customer
7 3/8 does seem to be one of the most common, therefore popular, sizes. If an ad doesn't state 7 /38, 59 or 23" I move on. I've both stretched and shrank hats that were just a bit off either way with decent results, but I try to avoid working with full size differences.

I wonder if I can get a license plate with "7 3/8" on it? "59" would be a bit too obscure.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Hat Brush ?

just picked up a few vintage felts
they are a little dusty and can use some love

I have a nice steamer and am looking for a good brush

throw out some suggestions for what to get and where to get it

thanks gents

tommyK

One Too Many
Should have bought one when you were at Bencraft. While you're at it you might as well get one of these too;
2014-04-02174531_zpsdd361378.jpg
When I travel I try to take just one hat but sometimes we travel for holidays and I need options

tommyK

One Too Many
I stumbled on it when I was there a while ago. Some young Jewish men were preparing for a trip to Israel and it was on the counter. I think they gave me a good deal on one as I bought a hat that day as well.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Should have bought one when you were at Bencraft. While you're at it you might as well get one of these too;

When I travel I try to take just one hat but sometimes we travel for holidays and I need options

I picked one up on eBay a while back for a steal. I use it all of the time.

viclip

Practically Family
just picked up a few vintage felts
they are a little dusty and can use some love

I have a nice steamer and am looking for a good brush

throw out some suggestions for what to get and where to get it

thanks gents

Pretty well all of the big name on-line hatters carry brushes, under "Accessories" or similar heading.

Note that you should acquire 2 brushes, one light & one dark, for use on light- & dark-colored hats respectively. This helps guard against spreading dyed felt dust amongst them e.g. navy coloured dust wouldn't be noticed on a black hat, whereas it would be on a light tan or silverbelly.

Hawgputter

New in Town
I'm looking for a new hat brush for my hats.
My current hat brush belonged to my great grandfather and sad to say its about shot and needs replaced.
I have looked at the two Borsalino brushes on line $15 and $50 but hard to tell the difference if any online.
What do you guy use and recommend, I've got a couple of rather high end hats that I don't want to damage.
Thanks Guys

I'm looking for a new hat brush for my hats.
My current hat brush belonged to my great grandfather and sad to say its about shot and needs replaced.
I have looked at the two Borsalino brushes on line $15 and $50 but hard to tell the difference if any online.
What do you guy use and recommend, I've got a couple of rather high end hats that I don't want to damage.
Thanks Guys
I buy mine off Ebay from Deezsales...$8 each. They are good brushes....soft so they don't abrade the felt and they remove the dust/lint. All my hats are either vintage or high end customs....OK I do have a few modern Stetsons of medium quality

No fancy logos, just a good brush for a great price. I also use a bigger crown brush from Resistol bought on Ebay for $23.

Hawgputter

New in Town
I buy mine off Ebay from Deezsales...$8 each. They are good brushes....soft so they don't abrade the felt and they remove the dust/lint. All my hats are either vintage or high end customs....OK I do have a few modern Stetsons of medium quality

No fancy logos, just a good brush for a great price. I also use a bigger crown brush from Resistol bought on Ebay for $23.
Thanks so much I just ordered a couple of them.
Such a deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner