Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat care tools??

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
The idea is simply that you don't use the same brush for dark colored hats as you use for light colored hats. ;)

RBH

Bartender
zetwal said:
The idea is simply that you don't use the same brush for dark colored hats as you use for light colored hats. ;)
True.
If a color would tranfer from say a brown hat to a silverbelly then you would be able to see it on the silverbelly.
Its best to use a light for light and dark for dark.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think the color transfer is the main issue, as RBH says. Also, if bristled fall off on a similar colored hat, they will be less noticeable. That was the one thing I noticed back when I was improvising with a clean paintbrush. The dark bristles were very easy to see on my tan hats when they shed. [huh]

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have two hat brushes, stiff and soft. I use both on all of my hats.
I have never noticed color transfer either way.

I suspect this is not an issue if you don't have powdered hats.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
The main reason to buy both a dark- and light-colored hat brush is because you have a deep conviction that the vendor from which you purchase them should make twice as much profit off you as buying only one.

If you have a hat that is transfering color to the brush, promptly discard the hat because it is not worth keeping.

If you have a hat brush that is leaving bristles on a hat, promptly discard the brush, because it is either defective or worn out.

Shop around for the hat brush. Every modern-day one I've ever seen was just like all the others--only the name on the back is different--but prices are all over the place.

Not that any hat brush is particularly expensive, but it's the principle of the the thing. Like buying one more brush than is necessary.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Hat care - sponges & brushes

Do I need a brush and sponge dedicated to each color of hat, or can I use one set of brush & sponge for the light colored hats, and another set for the dark colored hats?

I have on order:

Beaver Brand Banker Gray (light gray)
Beaver Brand Fawn
Beaver Brand Coffee (dark brown)
Akubra Campdraft Silver Belly
& I'm searching for an Akubra Campdraft Bluegrass Green

I'm new to hats, obviously. I'm concerned that the fibers from one hat will get deposited on another hat - especially the lighter colored hats. :confused:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Any curved horsehair hat brush would be the best choice. Dark bristles for dark hats, light bristles for light hats. You don't want to spread dark schmutz to light hats and vice versa.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Maybe I wasn't clear. It's not the actual color of the bristle that can be the problem. If you have light and dark hats, you don't want to transfer felt lint from one to the other. An easy way to remember which brush is for which hat is to use a light brush on light hats and a dark brush on dark hats. Brown or black felt lint is invisible on each other, but brown or black felt lint on a beige or silver belly colored hat will make it look dirty, and vice versa.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Ahhh.

Yeah, all my hats are dark (brown, grey, black, etc). So no issues there. The one really light hat I have is my straw boater, and I don't use my brush on that.

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Thank you for clearing that up for me, too. I always make sure to try to get all the lint and dust off my brush with a few swipes of my hand. To the brush, if that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy