Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat care tools??

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
That's a good idea, but all it takes is a couple of contrasting fibers on a hat after brushing and I wonder why I bothered in the first place. Two brushes were well worth the investment for me.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Consumer said:
Is there a difference between horsehair and nylon?

Horse hair is natural and gentler while being able to pick up and remove dust without damaging the hat. Nylon is man made and its consistency is completely up to the manufacturer. I'd go with horse hair and forget nylon. In fact, I don't know that I've ever heard of a nylon hat brush.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
I've had great luck using a very clean, 1 1/2 inch wide paint brush. It's stiff without being scratchy, at 1 1/2" wide, I can get everywhere I need to get. After doing one hat, I swipe the brush numerous times with my hand to eliminate all dust, dirt or debris and go to the next hat. Never had a problem, works just fine.

Cliff

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've had great luck using a very clean, 1 1/2 inch wide paint brush. It's stiff without being scratchy, at 1 1/2" wide, I can get everywhere I need to get. After doing one hat, I swipe the brush numerous times with my hand to eliminate all dust, dirt or debris and go to the next hat. Never had a problem, works just fine.

Cliff

I would recommend natural hair bristles and avoid nylon or any other synthetic.

T Rick

Practically Family
Don't forget which direction to brush (in case you're unaware). Counterclockwise on the top of the brim and the crown and sides, clockwise under the brim.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
The Wiser Hatter,
Paul's Hat Works has some great stuff! They are also very knowledgable. Couldn't resist so bought a nice panama from them.
I bought 2 of there Pauls brushes they were not cheep but there special fuller horse long hair round brushes.Real nice ladies there too!!
IM near all kinds of cowboy shops in Antioch $6 to 8 bucks horse hair dark or light better to have 2 or 3 brushes around
Get horse hair like the guys here are saying. i did use a horse hair shoe brush but my kid used it on his shoes & i well messed up a hat so be careful who touches your brushes,,,,,

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Actually horsehair or even camel hair brushes will help "pull" dirt and things from the nap of the felt better than any nylon or similar brush, however, brushing a hat helps the felt a great deal as you are cleaning it and removing particles that can actually hurt the hat felt if left there. I do have two regular hat brushes, but have also used the el-cheapo house painting brushes, they work o.k. and for as many hats as I own, I am very pleased with the performance of the house painting brushes, as I do not use one light hat brush on all the hats that are not black or dark brown, and a lighter hat brush for all my lighter colored hats. I have examined the brush bristles of the hat brushes and you can see a transfer of some color from hats to those bristles, and given that observation, I elected to make sure I never brush a light tan hat and then a light grey one with the same hat brush. So I have a brush for tan, brush for dark browns, brush for black, brush for grey, and a brush for green. For straw hats, I have a feather duster that is statically charged and it really does a great job for getting any dust or none wet dirt off the straws!

EggHead

Practically Family
I have a wild boar hair brush. Works for me. I think it would work for wool coats too.

I don't have a problem of loose "hairs" getting stuck in it.

hat brushes( Cleaning)

Hi Folks

Any recomendation for what type of brush to use for cleaning my hats?
Any special name brand brush etc? My collection of hats as now expanded to (4) two Cavs and two stetsons. However they are all different in color. Is a seperate brush needed for each color hat?
I want to keep my hats looking great.
Any opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
TIA
Best regards
CCjoe

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know about a specific brand, but you'll want something with a relatively stiff bristle. There are also orange sponges out there that work amazingly. I picked up my sponges from the St. Joseph, MO Stetson factory some years back and they're still working fine.

Regarding different brushes for different hats, yes. You will have a bit of dirt and colored felt that works into the brush and you probably don't want that rubbing off on another hat. It's certainly not necessary, but if you have the option, you probably want to have one brush for light hats, and one for darks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner