Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat care tools??

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haven't tried it myself but maybe one of those carbon fiber brushes used to clean vinyl would work. They dig into the grooves but are soft enough not to do damage. Check it out here.

wenestvedt

New in Town
Success with a cheap shaving brush

I just tried using my two shaving brushes, and while the soft badger brush didn't do nything, the stiffer boar brush whisked off little "pills" of old lint. Those eventually came off, though I had to pop out the bash in the top and rub it across my jeans to get the last few dust rhinos to let go. (Reminds me of rubbing a pencil eraser on electronics to clean the contact points.)

I had been leery of popping out the hat's shape until I did some reading here: either you lot are hard on hats or felt hats are a lot stronger than I thought!

I also just realized that my old fedora is to small for my great, 'uge 'ead: it sits comfortably off my forehead, or it binds when it's down by my eyebrows. *shrug* This doesn't really trouble me, as I am reminded of old photos wherein a lot of the guys have their hats tipped back, either for comfort or because they also hadn't bought the right size. :7)

Thanks again, all: a very instructive thread for me.

- Will

Feraud

Bartender
cooncatbob said:
I'd sure hate to get shoe polish on any of my hats, also a good hat brush has a narrow curved head good for brushing out the inside of crease.
Bob.
I do not recommend using a used shoe polish brush. The brush heads are small enough to do creases.

Jay

Practically Family
wenestvedt said:
Genius! As son as it's dry from this morning, I will give it a try. (Or I could use that stiffer boar brush from Target if my patience doesn't last._

- Will
No problem! Glad to help out.

Off Topic: After a staggering 520 posts, Jay finally give decent advice!

Davidson

One of the Regulars
House broom followed by Hoover vac. Or if really dirty, just run it through the wash cycle in the clothes washer. Wear it when showering. No, just kidding.

I find that having a dark horsehair brim brush and a light one work very well for me. I don't use the other, softer "crown" brushes. I would not use my paint brushes, nor my hair brushes, nor my dog brushes (no one has suggested yet, better check it out), nor my shaving brush (if I owned one). I like using tools for which they were designed. They often work well that way.

Come on, a hat brush is what, 10-12 USD? Break into the change jar.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
wenestvedt said:
What can I use for a hat brush besides, you know, a hat brush?

Like Alton Brown, I hate the idea of a tool with only one use.

I love the Alton Brown reference... Great Cook great show... This was a great question.

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
Hat brush question

Probably a silly newbie question but I'll ask anyway.

Regarding hat brushes...not to be cheap, but I have a Kent clothing brush. Stiff bristles on one side and softer bristles on the second side for more delicate clothing material. Would one side of this brush work effectively for a hat?

K

kpreed

Should work if not too stiff, I would think, I use a camel hair paint brush (clean) on my fedora to clean and dust it and I have had no problems for 25+ years. As long as it cleans and no felt comes off the hat when you brush, you should be fine.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Yep. Use the soft side. I started out with a clean, spft paint brush. Sometimes, it's still the best way to go. No reason you can't use what you've got.

fuyuko

New in Town
Hat Brush?

As you may know, I'm still new to the fedora scene, and I haven't yet bought a hat brush. I've been to several sites, and they seem to go for around 10 dollars or so. I was wondering if there are any vendors that you guys particularly suggest for buying a hat brush. Also, are there any small ones out there? I've seen some 5 inchers, but I'm more into small things.

Thanks all.

RBH

Bartender
That price sounds about right to me. All I could say is if you can find one close to you that would be great, its always nice to support vendors close to home when you can.
BUT one suggestion is to get two brush's, one for dark hats and one for light ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo