Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat color for navy blazer

Mav

A-List Customer
Well, I think I'm going to go with an Akubra Stylemaster in insert- your- own- descriptive- for- a- nebulous- shade- of- brown- here. Flouncy Tan? Dusty Dirt? Barbequed Fawn?
Somewhat narrower than the CD brim, but that 2 1/2 or so thing seems to be good for work.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mav said:
Well, I think I'm going to go with an Akubra Stylemaster in insert- your- own- descriptive- for- a- nebulous- shade- of- brown- here. Flouncy Tan? Dusty Dirt? Barbequed Fawn?
Somewhat narrower than the CD brim, but that 2 1/2 or so thing seems to be good for work.
Probably right. I'm more of a wide-brim fan, but one of my hats is 2 1/2 b rim, and normally a little narrow for me. But narrower brims might be better for work, and urban settings. My 2 1/2 brim seems better suited for going-about-town on weekdays. The wider brims are better on weekend or evening entertainment, when I'm just being "me."

Neophyte

I'll be living on campus in a couple of weeks, and I have no worries about wide brims. I did cut the brim on my Squatter, though, but only because the crown on that hat was short-ish (?) and made the brim look way out of proportion. This is mostly because I lack deftness at shaping hats. Whatever the case, the results were excellent.

As long as you like the shape, I think the Stylemaster (name says it all) will be a fine hat.

Undertow

Doctor Strange said:
I did an Advanced Search against just the Hats directory for "stylemaster"

It's not rocket science!

Or as the ever-classy David Lee Roth would have said, "It's not, uh, you know, rocket surgery..."

carldelo

One Too Many
Mav said:

That's an excellent choice. I had a Stylemaster in Acorn Fawn - that color will look good with navy. The brim width should be fine, as the hat has nice proportions overall. I was going to suggest the current Stetson color Tawny, as found on the Chatham or new Whippet, but they're almost twice the price. The brims on these are slightly smaller at 2-3/8 also. The new Whippet in tawny is a nice looking lid, and the color should go with a lot of different clothing:
http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=442&subcname=Stetson

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Mav said:

Superb selection, Mav. If you are willing to wait, there are a wide array of colors to choose from. Also, be aware that the Stylemaster has moderate crown taper.

Though I usually wear my moonstone Fed IV Deluxe with navy blazer and desert sand khakis, I just tried them on with my acorn fawn Stylemaster, and the combo looks great. Being that the heat index is 110 right now, I promptly hung those clothes back up and got into shorts, polo shirt, sandals, and a featherweight Panama!

Frankly, short of formal wear, just about anything looks terrific with a Stylemaster stuck on one's head. In the not quite two years I've had it, I have received more compliments on that hat--many from complete strangers--than all other hats combined. over a lifetime of wearing them.

In fact, if I could have only one hat (the mere thought is painful), it would be that acorn fawn Stylemaster, as it's so versatile, and the name says it all.

I bought mine from Sam Menche at Everything Australian for the unbelievably low price of $54.90 + $11.30 S & H in November 2008--when the Aussie dollar exchange rate was extremely favorable to the U.S. dollar. Only took about 10 days to arrive, too.

FYI, here are the actual dimensions, as measured on my size 57 (7 1/8):
Brim - 2 5/8 in. all around.
Pre-creased Crown Height - 4 3/8 in. at front peak, 3 3/4 in. at the rear.

Please post some photos when yours arrives, paired with blue blazer and khakis, of course.

Mav

A-List Customer
Just ordered an Acorn Fawn Stylemaster from EA. I'm not sure which is the longest 10 days- the waiting period for an Akubra or for a new firearm. Like both, I think I'm at a quantity level where if I get home before my wife on the day it arrives and sneak it in the house, I can use the "This one? I've had it for months" line.
I'll post pics once it's in.
AlterEgo: your suggestion of the Bushman in Nullabor Tan did not go unnoticed. It's a great looking hat, and it's now on my list. Probably as more of an "outdoor" hat, due to brim width. I camp a lot, so one will probably become part of the inventory shortly.
Miss Sofia: I also appreciate your input, and would hope the other ladies here will weigh in on men's fashion more. While we do dress for ourselves, we also dress for y'all.

Mav

A-List Customer
danofarlington said:
Yeah, why don't we hear from more women about men's hats?
You fool! You've opened the door for me to opine, using my usual half- grasped philosophical and sociological expertise.

Women don't need or want our opinions, generally. You'll note that we are discouraged from entering into discussion on the Powder Room or the Beauty boards. Why? They simply don't need our opinions.

We're different, and viva la difference. Or however you spell them fancy French words. I don't know a single manjack of us who doesn't ask the opinion of a trusted female- type on how we look. Let's face it- left to our own devices, no matter how fashionable you might be, we'd be running around in buckskin leggings and loincloths. If that.

Q: What is the difference between a man and a savings bond?
A: Savings bonds mature.

Not a joke; reality.

danofarlington

Mav said:
You fool! You've opened the door for me to opine, using my usual half- grasped philosophical and sociological expertise.

Women don't need or want our opinions, generally. You'll note that we are discouraged from entering into discussion on the Powder Room or the Beauty boards. Why? They simply don't need our opinions.

We're different, and viva la difference. Or however you spell them fancy French words. I don't know a single manjack who doesn't ask the opinion of a trusted female- type on how we look. Let's face it- left to our own devices, no matter how fashionable you might be, we'd be running around in buckskin leggings and loincloths. If that.

Q: What is the difference between a man and a savings bond?
A: Savings bonds mature.

Not a joke; reality.
Right again.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I personally like the look of navy shirts with a mid or dark brown hat. That being said, I also think that navy blazers look their classiest <i>without</i> hats. *jumps under the table* There's just something classy about a navy blazer paired with well groomed or even conservatively messy hair, a light blue or white oxford shirt, and khakis.

Randy

danofarlington

theinterchange said:
I personally like the look of navy shirts with a mid or dark brown hat. That being said, I also think that navy blazers look their classiest <i>without</i> hats. *jumps under the table* There's just something classy about a navy blazer paired with well groomed or even conservatively messy hair, a light blue or white oxford shirt, and khakis.

Randy
This prescription presumes there is hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart