Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat color for navy blazer

Mav

A-List Customer
Apologies if this has been addressed- I've done some searching and haven't found a thread.

Looking for a fedora (haven't decided make/ model yet) that would look decent with a navy blazer and khakis, which is pretty much my spring/ summer work uniform.
The khakis are what throw this off- a light grey would look great with the blazer, but it doesn't seem like it would quite work with the khaki. I've tried my siverbelly CD, but even that doesn't quite cut it.
Recommendations?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Hello there, i was a bit nervous about posting a comment on this subject because i'm a new gal and mens clothing is not something i claim to know much about, but i felt compelled to do so, as in dear old blighty it is traditional for men to wear a panama or similar in the summer with for example a lightweight linen suit or the blazer/khaki combo you mentioned. A classic summer staple in my opinion.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Miss sofia said:
Hello there, i was a bit nervous about posting a comment on this subject because i'm a new gal and mens clothing is not something i claim to know much about, but i felt compelled to do so, as in dear old blighty it is traditional for men to wear a panama or similar in the summer with for example a lightweight linen suit or the blazer/khaki combo you mentioned. A classic summer staple in my opinion.

I for one very much appreciate your input. I wish we had more women sharing their honest opinions on various aspects of men's clothing and accessories! I think that would be very interesting.

Welcome to the Lounge! and please keep it up! ;)

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
A hat in the color range of Khaki would work well. Taupe would probably work well too. Stetson had a color in the early 1950s called "Estes Tan" that works with almost everything. That's what I usually wear with the Navy/Khaki combination if I'm not doing straw.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Estes Tan...

1951ORAd.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
For the khakis and navy blazer combo, I always wear a brown or tan felt. Silverbelly is, in my opinion, too light. But darker Naturals and darker tans (nothing too gold, like Camel, or greenish, like pecan) should work. And good old fashioned brown. It works great with navy blue. In fact, I prefer a brown felt fedora when wearing navy.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Light to dark gray would suffice. White Panama for high heat. Khaki (sand) or lighter brown couldn't hurt. If it's temperature you're worried about, you might avoid blacks and blues.

Remember, it's not the color, it's how you wear it. ;)

DougC

Practically Family
I like to wear my Open Road in silver belly with blue and gray suits...but, this is the great State of Texas!

Oh yeah, light gray would be nice too.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Mav,

A "fashionista" (I actually loathe that term, but it's currently "in"), I have lots of clothes, shoes, hats and other accessories, but like you, I often find myself wearing my good old navy blazer and a pair of cotton khakis, so here's what I have to suggest.

First of all, the color "khaki" can mean anything from beige to tan to light brown to medium green, but the good news is that the exact trouser color really does not matter when coordinating with a dark blue blazer and hat.

Aside from wild shades, the only hat color to definitely avoid is black, as black never goes with navy--one of the few hard and fast rules of style. A navy hat would work, but it would have to be a perfect tone, as one navy item with another often ends up making one appear purplish or just somehow off, so I'd steer away from a navy hat, too.

Any shade of brown or fawn pairs nicely with navy, as do most grays. Greens can be tricky, but the right shade with your skin tone can be really appealing with navy. I know you said you did not care for your silverbelly Campdraft, but consider sand, which is very light but still in the earth-tone range, like khaki. The lighter the color of the hat, the more comfortable it'll be in warm, weather, too.

In that regard, the weight of the hat should be a top consideration, so select one that's not too heavy. Hats with ventilation grommets help a lot, but, of course, such holes necessarily "casualize" them. If you wear a neck tie with the navy blazer and khakis, a ventilated hat would be somewhat marginal, but without it, you're unquestionably in the clear. Removing the lining is always a sure-fire way to cool a hat down, but, personally, I cannot bring myself to deface a brand new chapeau.

Style is highly subjective, but I've become acquainted with you through your posts here and know you look good in a rather tall, untapered crown fedora having a wider brim--the aforementioned Akubra Campdraft being a perfect example.

OK, so I've given enough general advice, so here's the hat I recommend:

The Akubra Bushman in Nullarbor Tan. That color is simply wonderful, and the catalogue and online photos do not capture its true complexity--I've never seen anything else this color. With a 5 1/2-inch straight-sided crown and 3 1/4-inch brim, the hat itself coordinates with your head shape well. The relatively casual, narrow 1/2-inch hatband balances against the dressier touch of the bound brim, in keeping with the attitude of your navy blazer and khakis.

Coupled with its intermediate color, the mid-weight Imperial Quality felt should make the Bushman tolerable in warmer weather, as well as very versatile in terms of seasons and other clothing. Disregard that this is an Australian "stockman's hat;" it is basically an early 19th century European snap-brim style fedora, only with a wider brim, that has been around for over a hundred years and has withstood the test of time.

Perhaps best of all, it's open crown, so you can bash it as you please to make it your own. The Bushman will be stiff at first, but with wearing and intentional "wanking," the felt softens up to a classic feel.

So, there you have it, Mav, the Akubra Bushman in Nullarbor Tan.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Actually I think medium gray works with khaki pants. My every day felt I wear when I'm not wearing my panama is a medium gray charcoal and I think it goes well with khaki.

I would also think a light brown or khaki colored felt as long as it was different enough to set off the pants.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
AlterEgo said:
black never goes with navy--one of the few hard and fast rules of style.

I cannot find this "hard and fast" rule of style anywhere. There are strong opinions both ways - from "never do it" to "a classic look always appropriate". So who is it that has established this "hard and fast" rule?

If one cannot wear black with navy what color shoes would a man wear with a navy suit in a business environment?

BTW, I didn't suggest a black hat because I don't consider a black hat to be a substitute for a Panama. Black hats are much to hot to wear in the summer sun.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated. Feel like a bit of a twit now, was obviously not paying attention and just saw the 'navy blazer bit' and my instant response was a Panama!! But i think the rest of the guys gave you excellent advice in my humble opinion. I find the gentlemans threads equally as interesting. You guys are also a bit of a sartorial oasis for me at the moment because on the whole i have to contend with hordes of male holidaymakers parading past my shop all day in 3/4 length trousers and football shirts (shudder).

Aerol

A-List Customer
Optimo made a lightweight felt in a light blue-gray (they called it Titanium) that goes well with a blue blazer and khaki pants. I don't know if they still have the color in stock.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I honestly think that any grey hat going from light grey all the way to a very dark grey would work just fine. If you look at the vintage hat advertisements from Stetson, Dobbs, etc you will always see men wearing grey with khaki colors. You could also go with a light tan or Khaki colored hat. That would probably match the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80