Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat color for navy blazer

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I wear my Navy jackets with tan/khaki, light gray, charcoal gray or black slacks depending on the situation. Navy/khaki is more casual - navy/black is rather dressy and the grays are in between. Brown shoes are casual, black not so much. Tan or brown hat is casual, black or dark gray hat more towards dressy and lighter grays in between. Light blue shirt is casual, white shirt more dressy.

But I always choose a tie that tells people I don't like wearing ties. Gotta throw some color in somewhere!

Tone

A-List Customer
Mav said:
Apologies if this has been addressed- I've done some searching and haven't found a thread.

Looking for a fedora (haven't decided make/ model yet) that would look decent with a navy blazer and khakis, which is pretty much my spring/ summer work uniform.
The khakis are what throw this off- a light grey would look great with the blazer, but it doesn't seem like it would quite work with the khaki. I've tried my siverbelly CD, but even that doesn't quite cut it.
Recommendations?

Tie? No tie? Type of shoes? Environment?
It seems like a very casual uniform. Is that combination something you are required to wear for work; or is it something you have chosen to try out for the summer while working?
What are the circumstances, conditions, and surroundings of the work? Country Club? Field Work? Ball games? Golf course? Would you be wanting to lean toward a formal impression or summer casual (though wearing a navy blazer while being casual in the summer with khaki pants)?

The type of hat you choose to complete this might rely somewhat on the aspects listed above.

Mav

A-List Customer
Tone said:
Tie? No tie? Type of shoes? Environment?
It seems like a very casual uniform. Is that combination something you are required to wear for work; or is it something you have chosen to try out for the summer while working?

Sales rep in a comm'l industry- been wearing it for about 25 years for Spring/ Summer wear. It used to be the standard; these days, it's actually overdressed, but I refuse to go the Dockers and company logoed polo shirt route. Brown wingtips or penny loafers.
And always a tie. Unless it hits about 90. I love wearing the damned things, for some reason.
Just the basic middle- aged preppy look.
My problem, I think, is that I'm fairly new to regular hat- wearing. Gray with a gray suit is a no- brainer, as are earthtones with my Fall/ Winter tweed and cords. The navy and khaki thing, which is a look I like, and is incredibley easy for travel, just wasn't naturally lending itself to a hat color for me.

But....good lord, folks. Clearly, I should have asked you all initially instead of sweating over it. Incredible input. My thanks. Except now I'm thinking I might want to go with a light gray and a tan/ brown- ish.

Tone

A-List Customer
Mav said:
My thanks. Except now I'm thinking I might want to go with a light gray and a tan/ brown- ish.

Yep. With that gray/tan/brown combo the world is pretty much your oyster in terms of hat colors that'd work. It also broadens the range of hat styles that might be worn with it.

About the ties: I'm the same way. Given the option to wear a tie or not, I choose "wear the tie", also.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
BanjoMerlin said:
I cannot find this "hard and fast" rule of style anywhere. There are strong opinions both ways - from "never do it" to "a classic look always appropriate". So who is it that has established this "hard and fast" rule?

If one cannot wear black with navy what color shoes would a man wear with a navy suit in a business environment?

BTW, I didn't suggest a black hat because I don't consider a black hat to be a substitute for a Panama. Black hats are much to hot to wear in the summer sun.

"They" have established the hard and fast rule of not wearing black with navy. You know, "them." What that means is the general style consensus among those with taste is that black does not coordinate well with navy.

Men's fashion columnist Lois Fenton has asserted this rule in her weekly newpaper articles, though I would not go so far as declaring her THE authority on all things relating to masculine style. Having been widely acknowledged as best-dressed in prep school, college/grad school, and throughout my professional career, I might even be considered one of "them."

Actually, shoe color would not fit into this rule. Black shoes with a navy suit are acceptable, though cordovan/oxblood or certain browns such as cognac are preferable in any environment, including business.

I could not agree with you more that black hats are too uncomfortably hot for most people in summer.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
AlterEgo said:
"They" have established the hard and fast rule of not wearing black with navy. You know, "them." What that means is the general style consensus among those with taste is that black does not coordinate well with navy.

Men's fashion columnist Lois Fenton has asserted this rule in her weekly newpaper articles, though I would not go so far as declaring her THE authority on all things relating to masculine style. Having been widely acknowledged as best-dressed in prep school, college/grad school, and throughout my professional career, I might even be considered one of "them."

Actually, shoe color would not fit into this rule. Black shoes with a navy suit are acceptable, though cordovan/oxblood or certain browns such as cognac are preferable in any environment, including business.

I could not agree with you more that black hats are too uncomfortably hot for most people in summer.

With all due respect, if you think that brown shoes are more appropriate than black with a navy suit, particularly on formal occasions, you are not one of "them." Congratulations.

To answer the original question, in warm weather with a navy blazer I suggest a light colored straw hat, if you like with the sort of pinched front one associates with the fedora, or a pork pie shape. The current straw Open Road is not a bad hat. To my mind any sort of felt hat would be likely be both too hot, too formal, and too out of place.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Richard, Richard, Richard,

With each post you are revealing ever more of your style ignorance.

I did not say any color of brown shoe would coordinate well with a navy suit; rather, I said "certain browns such as cognac are preferable."

Further, please learn here and now that the only acceptable attire for formal occasions is a tuxedo, with black patent leather shoes being the only appropriate footwear option. Any sort of suit, blue or otherwise, is entirely out of bounds for formal occasions

FYI, one notch down to semi-formal wear would be a black--not blue--suit, paired with black, smooth leather shoes--not wingtips or any type with such decoration.

You say, "To my mind any sort of felt hat would be likely be both too hot, too formal, and too out of place." Any sort of felt hat too formal?! Not only is it perfectly stlyish to wear such a hat with what Mav wears, but also with jeans, walking shorts, and much other far more casual attire. Are you aware that Aussie sheep ranchers, Western cattlemen, and hikers the world over regularly wear fur felt hats? I suppose you think they are dressed too formal, too

Finally, Mav has already stated he's seeking help in selecting a felt hat to go with his navy blazer and khakis, not a straw, so one wonders why you make that suggestion. Based on your sartorial nescience, I don't think he or anyone here will have interest in your advice, anyway.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BanjoMerlin said:
I wear my Navy jackets with tan/khaki, light gray, charcoal gray or black slacks depending on the situation. Navy/khaki is more casual - navy/black is rather dressy and the grays are in between. Brown shoes are casual, black not so much. Tan or brown hat is casual, black or dark gray hat more towards dressy and lighter grays in between. Light blue shirt is casual, white shirt more dressy.

But I always choose a tie that tells people I don't like wearing ties. Gotta throw some color in somewhere!
Yes, blue blazers are the "old reliable" for all kinds of hat colors. I like gray with it and the dark browns I have; have no light browns yet; but a camel color Borsalino Alessandria doesn't go well with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart