Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat contentment. A temporary state of mind?

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I have had this strange feeling. I am content with my current collection of hats.

My collection consists of:
2 Akubra Fed IV Deluxe (Heritage Fawn & Moonstone)
1 Akubra 'RM'
3 Akubra Campdraft (Moonstone, BGG, Silverbelly)
1 Akubra Stylemaster (Regency Fawn)
2 Akubra Banjo Paterson (one with a thin crown ribbon, one as a 'beater')
1 Stetson Open Road (Fawn)
1 Stetson Stratoliner (Walnut)
1 Esther Weiss custom (Hellgrau)
2 Gannon custom (Whisky, Granite)

The Silverybelly Campdraft doesn't get much head time so I am thinking about selling it. I also have a Stratoliner in Cordova (dark brown) that I think is too dark for me.

But I no longer have the urge to find another hat to buy. I'm just enjoying wearing what I've got.

I wonder if I have entered the next phase of my interest in hats or if this contentment thing is just a phase I am going through which will soon be overtaken by a desire to add to my collection again...?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Pretty happy with what I got but will always keep an eye out for a super good deal on something new...
That being said, much less frequently then in the past I will sometimes get the urge for one or two new and different hats that arent in my small collection. I've found a much calmer balance now in my desire to acquire new hats.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I'm content with the few hats I have but that is my philosophy in life for everything. That said, there are a few hats I'd like to get my paws on with the hope of never finding them, as it's the search that keeps me tingling, not the possession since I know in advance that they won't live up to my expectations & soon after getting them I'll lose interest. :rolleyes:
As for you Andrew, I fear you are simply in the eye of the cyclone & everything is calm but soon you'll spot a new hat that you must have to make your collection complete & the tempest will blow again...:D

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My hats are not a collection, is it hat heresy to admit that? They are an extension of what I wear. My hats, like my shoes are accessories that complete 'the look.' Same as my sports blazers/suits/trousers et al. In my collection of blazers there's one that is cream with brown stripes, it needs a pair of chocolate trousers to set it off, Tina is making them. I already have a pair of brown and cream spectator brogue shoes, and similar coloured Fair Isle socks. Soon Esther will get an order for a cream hat with a chocolate headband, I shall complete the look with a cream coloured spearpoint shirt and a chocolate brown tie with some sort of motif on it. So another hat, but it's not a new hat per se, it's part of an outfit, if that makes sense.

I had better mention my fine collection of Aloha shirts that also get matched to hats & shoes etcetera.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
been a collector my entire life

started with matchbox cars and graduated to things like 1970s KISS toys ... rare Nike SB sneakers ...limited edition New Era hats ... all the way to vintage Gretsch drums and vintage fedoras

so yeah ... I guess contentment is not in my chemical make up

they come and go ... the thrill of the chase

I love the collection I have accumulated ... it is wonderful

but like Vics sig says ... still reaching for that brass ring

been a collector my entire life

started with matchbox cars and graduated to things like 1970s KISS toys ... rare Nike SB sneakers ...limited edition New Era hats ... all the way to vintage Gretsch drums and vintage fedoras

so yeah ... I guess contentment is not in my chemical make up

they come and go ... the thrill of the chase

I love the collection I have accumulated ... it is wonderful

but like Vics sig says ... still reaching for that brass ring

Like you, I've been collecting various things throughout my life, with the motto: "Keep it, it may be worth something someday!" My collections of music, sports memorabilia, etc. have waxed and waned over the years. Most have been "functional." I listened to the LPs and CDs I collected, displayed and enjoyed the memorabilia, gee-gaws, knick-knacks and tchotchkes that I have accumulated. Hats are a fairly recent addition and, though I've bought and sold some, most I keep because I like and wear them. I too am currently searching for the brass ring, and coming across a gem gives me a thrill, as does wearing it after I've found it.

I've recently taken to unloading some of my earlier accumulated stuff. It appears to be that "someday" I always referred to for some stuff has arrived. Having not had a working turntable in many years, I finally decided to start selling off LPs collected in the 70s and 80s on eBay. Also some other things - I just yesterday sold the Lionel train set I've had since the mid-60s.

I don't think the hats are going anywhere soon, however. They are functional and I love wearing them and getting new ones. I'll probably always be on the hunt for something.

Like you, I've been collecting various things throughout my life, with the motto: "Keep it, it may be worth something someday!" My collections of music, sports memorabilia, etc. have waxed and waned over the years. Most have been "functional." I listened to the LPs and CDs I collected, displayed and enjoyed the memorabilia, gee-gaws, knick-knacks and tchotchkes that I have accumulated. Hats are a fairly recent addition and, though I've bought and sold some, most I keep because I like and wear them. I too am currently searching for the brass ring, and coming across a gem gives me a thrill, as does wearing it after I've found it.

I've recently taken to unloading some of my earlier accumulated stuff. It appears to be that "someday" I always referred to for some stuff has arrived. Having not had a working turntable in many years, I finally decided to start selling off LPs collected in the 70s and 80s on eBay. Also some other things - I just yesterday sold the Lionel train set I've had since the mid-60s.

I don't think the hats are going anywhere soon, however. They are functional and I love wearing them and getting new ones. I'll probably always be on the hunt for something.
I too have started selling off my collections. Mostly to fund my new hat addiction. I have a number of things listed on Ebay right now. Have to let some go to make room for more.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

we have a lot in common Jim

I have a habit of keeping everything I collect in impeccable condition

I had a stack of comic books that I collected all through the 1980s ... kept them all in plastic sleeves with cardboard backing ... I sold most of it about 10 years ago and payed for some schooling and some debt

I had a ton of Giants memorabilia spanning from the 1950s to present day ... I sold it all to a mom and pop sports store in town and bought a 1966 Gretsch Round Badge kit in Champagne Sparkle

I had a collection of Nike SB sneakers and sold the whole lot to a guy in California for $5000 and funded an entire tour for my band at the time

I sold a collection of limited edition New Era hats a couple years ago for $2500 and helped clear one of my wifes credit cards

I sold my entire KISS collection for $9000 when my daughter was born ... for obvious reasons

I recently sold a stack of old jazz LPs I had been collecting .. some really great stuff ... lots of original presses ... sold the lot for $500 ... probably took a loss ... but we needed a little quick cash ... I miss them

I don't see the fedoras going anywhere soon ... I enjoy them too much ... but I do break off a few now and then

sometimes I substitute the word collecting with the word investing ... for reasons mentioned above

compulsion is not such a bad thing sometimes :)

we have a lot in common Jim

I have a habit of keeping everything I collect in impeccable condition

I had a stack of comic books that I collected all through the 1980s ... kept them all in plastic sleeves with cardboard backing ... I sold most of it about 10 years ago and payed for some schooling and some debt

I had a ton of Giants memorabilia spanning from the 1950s to present day ... I sold it all to a mom and pop sports store in town and bought a 1966 Gretsch Round Badge kit in Champagne Sparkle

I had a collection of Nike SB sneakers and sold the whole lot to a guy in California for $5000 and funded an entire tour for my band at the time

I sold a collection of limited edition New Era hats a couple years ago for $2500 and helped clear one of my wifes credit cards

I sold my entire KISS collection for $9000 when my daughter was born ... for obvious reasons

I recently sold a stack of old jazz LPs I had been collecting .. some really great stuff ... lots of original presses ... sold the lot for $500 ... probably took a loss ... but we needed a little quick cash ... I miss them

I don't see the fedoras going anywhere soon ... I enjoy them too much ... but I do break off a few now and then

sometimes I substitute the word collecting with the word investing ... for reasons mentioned above

compulsion is not such a bad thing sometimes :)

Brother from another mother. [emoji4]

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

I had a stack of comic books that I collected all through the 1980s ...
Mine are Hot Rod Magazines & Car Craft Magazines going back to the 1950's - 1960's. Car Craft Magazine used to be the size of a Readers Digest.

I had a ton of Giants memorabilia spanning from the 1950s to present day ...
I have all kinds of ephemeral on famous pool & billiard tournaments going back into the 1940's; programs, posters, write-ups, etc not to include my pool cue collection from famous cuemakers & players.

sometimes I substitute the word collecting with the word investing ...
Ditto. The above is just a small sampling of my addiction that parallels some of what you mentioned.

I'm still a newbie when it comes to hats so I have no desire to stop.

I have tons 'o crap from the various hobbies over the years. I tell my wife these things are an investment, but I rarely get around to selling anything. She is just as bad -- who really needs 3,000 cookbooks? (Her obsession pushed out some of mine as she took over all the shelf space in the house for the books -- I ended up selling 95% of my VW toy collection as having them in storage was just not that enjoyable).

My hats are not a collection, is it hat heresy to admit that? They are an extension of what I wear. My hats, like my shoes are accessories that complete 'the look.' Same as my sports blazers/suits/trousers et al. In my collection of blazers there's one that is cream with brown stripes, it needs a pair of chocolate trousers to set it off, Tina is making them. I already have a pair of brown and cream spectator brogue shoes, and similar coloured Fair Isle socks. Soon Esther will get an order for a cream hat with a chocolate headband, I shall complete the look with a cream coloured spearpoint shirt and a chocolate brown tie with some sort of motif on it. So another hat, but it's not a new hat per se, it's part of an outfit, if that makes sense.

I had better mention my fine collection of Aloha shirts that also get matched to hats & shoes etcetera.
Yes, I consider my stable of hats part of the wardrobe. BUT, I now have the "problem" of deciding which to wear. I get dressed, check the weather, then find myself standing in the doorway of the closet attempting to choose which hat to wear. I have days where the decision approaches paralysis.....in those moments I begin to wonder about having toooo many choices. Have I just managed to complicate my life when my desire is to make it more simple???

I'm still a newbie when it comes to hats so I have no desire to stop.

I have tons 'o crap from the various hobbies over the years. I tell my wife these things are an investment, but I rarely get around to selling anything. She is just as bad -- who really needs 3,000 cookbooks? (Her obsession pushed out some of mine as she took over all the shelf space in the house for the books -- I ended up selling 95% of my VW toy collection as having them in storage was just not that enjoyable).
My wife and I have reached détente.......I am no longer allowed to encroach on her shelf space......she is setting firmer boundaries! It would appear that I have reached the point of..."new hat in, one hat out."

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab

"Tan shoes with pink shoelaces,
"A polka-dot vest and man, oh, man,
"He wanted
"Tan shoes with pink shoelaces
"And a pink Panama with a purple hat band!"

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'm fairly content, but I still want more hats... gotta get one from Bob at BSHW @navarre , and another from... you see how that goes.

I accumulate rather than collect. Sold several firearms to fund my wife 's immigration papers, so she 's a citizen now. I wish I'd never sold my 60s Selmer Mark VI. I've never seen another like it, or played any alto sax that played more true and in tune from top to bottom of the scale, and including harmonics....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner