Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat for a Cleric in a Plain Black Suit?

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I have this one for rent. :)

4328378122_912874c810_b.jpg

4327644323_47c1d92678_b.jpg

4327644415_63186f2207_b.jpg

4327643883_c3ac2e88db_b.jpg

Quite beautiful...

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Once again in my estimation, if this event is anything more solemn or liturgical than a parish bingo game :D -- it would absolutely NOT be the place for a priest with some (assumed) visibility, seemingly unfamiliar to hat wearing yet concerned about what might properly work to avoid feeling self-conscious or appearing pretentious, to try and wear a less than (very) modest lid!

...And although cucullus non facit monachum, AFAIC wearing a black suit over a black shirt with a Roman collar leaves ONLY a conservative-brim BLACK FEDORA to consider for headwear! Period. Not charcoal, not navy, not midnight blue!
emogrinnojq6.gif
BLACK.

Oh, and:
* Is hat price affordability important? (Some clergy get by only with stipends, etc.)
* How much time will he have to procure a lid? Enough time to fish in the 'Bay for vintage? Any local hat shops for try-ons?
* Will there be enough time to sort of "practice" wearing a hat so that he'll get used to one and achieve some idea of how to deal with it, hold it, tip it back, reseat it, wipe the sweatband, etc?
* Is it going to be tough finding this BLACK FEDORA :D in his hat size? Does he know his hat size yet?
* If he's never going to wear (or infrequently wear) the lid again after the event, would a less expensive BLACK :D wool FEDORA make more sense than fur felt?

Anyway, good luck and high regards!

P.S.: If your friend is the only padre attending this event, and if the day is cloudy and overcast with no precipitation in the forecast -- tell him to ditch the lid, go hatless, and wear a cassock! (The old people will reminisce and think he's awesome!) [angel]

I really have no idea about the accepted colors. A black fedora on many priests would look affected to say the very least. A cassock is not proper for an event that takes place off Church grounds.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Wearing a cassock out and about would lack taste unless the priest was a prelate and was dressed in choir for a specific event.

In any event, this thread has been very informative. You people really know your hats.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I think the color black is fine. It's not pretentious but some styles are -- like the homburg which also happens to have a negative godfather/gangsta connotation these days. Similarly a bowler would look cartoonish. From a functional standpoint, anything with a stingy brim would offer less sun protection. I think your idea of an black indiana jones-looking hat has great merit because as you say "...maybe not quite so formal..."
If your friend decides to go black on black, the Akubra Stylemaster in my avatar is not a bad choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot