Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat for a Cleric in a Plain Black Suit?

Abraham

One of the Regulars
What would be an appropriate hat for a Catholic priest in a plain black suit with a black shirt and a Roman collar? This would be without an overcoat here in California in a multi-hour outdoor event in mild/cool (for CA) weather.

A black bowler or homburg would look silly and/or pretentious. I think a black fedora might also look the same Perhaps not? An all-black paperboy or possibly ivy cap might be nice, albeit a bit casual for a suit? Perhaps a black open road/gambler style hat here in CA?

Something non pretentious would be best. Thanks.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
...define non pretentious as it relates hats. I wear a Homburg with jeans and a (faux) leather jacket.

I don't think you'd want black on black on black however.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A simple cuenca panama would be modest while fitting well with a suit. For some reason this seems like a fitting hat for a priest in California to me. If it will be too cold for a panama I think a grey fedora would be appropriate without looking as "costume" as a black hat would. To my eye a smaller brimmed, low crowned black hat could also fit well without looking so formal.

Monte

A-List Customer
I think a brown Stetson fedora with the brim left in the upright position with some dressier sun glasses to match.

casechopper

The thin ribbon and large brim would seem a bit odd to me with a priests dress. I've seen priests (at least on tv) wearing panamas before so I guess I associate that as being more acceptable. I think an OR style could draw quite a bit of attention which might not be what a priest would want. I'm going on the premise that a priest would be looking for something pretty low key which might not be correct...

I don't think so. Silverbelly isn't that far away on the color spectrum from a Panama anyways. The OR is definitely a dress hat.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The thin ribbon and large brim would seem a bit odd to me with a priests dress. I've seen priests (at least on tv) wearing panamas before so I guess I associate that as being more acceptable. I think an OR style could draw quite a bit of attention which might not be what a priest would want. I'm going on the premise that a priest would be looking for something pretty low key which might not be correct...

Well, the OP mentioned both a (black) open road and a gambler style, so I assumed that brim width was not necessarily the issue with what might come off as "pretentious," which is what the OP is trying to avoid.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
A panama cuenca with the typical black ribbon would look great & perfect for your climate
as well as the furfelt as Case stated.
I have seen Father's in Panama's & they look great
especially if the Crown has the 40's look....
I have also seen Fathers in Vintage StingyBrim Felt hats Mostly Senior Priests that have been around a while Looks Smart & Sensabile...

Say a Vintage Stetson Playboy with the 1'' ribbon is perfect.....
Pardon me but im not trying to use the Playboy as .........
i mean its a Particular Vintage model & it's quite Modest & smart styled

Last edited:

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
I've got to agree with RBH. I'm not a Catholic Priest but I am a Baptist Preacher, and my Silverbelly Heritage Camp Draft has worked well for me in lots of occasions. But then I like tall crowns and wide brims! Take care, wish you the best in your search. There is a lot of good people here in the Lounge who will help you out.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Actually, I think a Homburg would be the way to go for the situation you describe. Something about a bowler or a fedora (not to mention baseball caps) just seems off for the clothing you describe. At least to my eye. -M

J.B.

Practically Family
IMO the quintessential unpretentious fedora for a priest would be a 2" brim Stetson Saxon in black. Or, as mentioned -- a natural or white Panama with a black ribbon.

...If you go with a baseball cap -or- a fedora color other than black -- you may have to answer to a (very) higher Authority!? :D

carldelo

One Too Many
For California, I think straw is the way to go - that way the hat would be wearable year-round. A nice Panama or Milan straw with black ribbon would be great, e.g. David Morgan sells a nice one (among many others, of course).

If a darker color is wanted, I'd suggest the Akubra Capricorn in gray. This polystraw hat breathes well and is virtually impervious to rain, sweat, dirt, etc. Here's mine, it's on the right:

Comparison001.jpg

The Rink is an identical polystraw, but comes in white with a black ribbon, which would go well with the clothes:

Rink014.jpg

Last edited:

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Thank you very much for all the great inputs -- I will pass them along. I especially like the narrow headband look. My friend the priest asked for input because has keratosis pilaris and needs protection from the sun. He very much considers the clerical "blacks" to be a uniform of sorts and he wants to be very careful about his choice in a hat.

Now the final question. Which color(s) go with a black suit and shirt? Black and silverbelly? Thanks again.

danofarlington

You know what I would consider? A dove gray hat with a brim of 2 1/2 or 2 5/8. Crown 5 inches or so, not more than 5 1/2 (which would be a high-crown hat). You'd have to go custom for that, but you could email the custom hatmakers and ask them for a rock bottom custom price for a rabbit fur (as opposed to the more expensive beaver) hat. You might make a deal for $250 or less. Somebody might do it. I like a dove gray men's dress hat more than a silverbelly hat, because it'll be dressier without being pretentious. An Open Road or a Campdraft is a country hat, which is fine, but it's one kind of style. Another style is a regular dress hat of the kind I'm talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner