Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat for a Cleric in a Plain Black Suit?

RBH

Bartender
The Cardinals hat is a Borsalino.
It looks like one of several styles they have, such as this one.
The Italiano.
IT181BorsalinoItalianoFedora.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Begging your' pardon, but if there is ONE guy who should NEVER feel pretentious in a black hat, it is a Priest.

That said- the 1 1/2" black ribbon on grey would look great, as would the classic panama w/ a black ribbon.
Still & all, if I were a priest I tend to think I'd feel right at home in a black hat. [huh]
BlIJ.jpg

For that matter the black on black Indiana Jones would look great too & yet maybe not quite so formal.
...my .o2

Last edited:

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I think the color black is fine. It's not pretentious but some styles are -- like the homburg which also happens to have a negative godfather/gangsta connotation these days. Similarly a bowler would look cartoonish. From a functional standpoint, anything with a stingy brim would offer less sun protection. I think your idea of an black indiana jones-looking hat has great merit because as you say "...maybe not quite so formal..."

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Someone already mentioned the Stetson Saxon in black. I'd go for the gray version of the Saxon, or the similar model from Dobbs, the Dayton. Just yesterday I was looking at them in Meyer the Hatter's window; nice crisp conservative hats. It's true they are stingy brims, and if sun protection is his priority, he wouldn't get much from them. Perhaps the gray or black Stetson Temple? They have wider brims, 2 5/8 ".

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I think a hat has to have some kind of function today or it (and its wearer) is looked upon with a bit of suspicion. Cardinal Dolan's "sells itself" as a hat that appears to provide good sun protection (he is red haired/fair skinned) and a bit of warmth (he is also folically challenged.) I think he he wore a hat simply for style/panache, it would be looked upon as a negative.

I have wondered about a hat that goes with a suit now that I too have a "natural tonsure." I have been to a couple of funerals this year with gravesite services that lasted about 90 minutes. Each time I wore a suit and plenty of serious sunscreen. I still got a burn. What I refuse to do is the suit with a ball cap or bucket hat that looked more at home at the beach and not a funeral.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A black hat would probably be the most appropriate for a funeral. I wasn't considering a funeral when recommending a panama. A black Campdraft or Fed IV could work well and are easy to order. If your head size is smaller you could probably find a vintage hat relatively easily on ebay and save some money.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I think a hat has to have some kind of function today or it (and its wearer) is looked upon with a bit of suspicion. Cardinal Dolan's "sells itself" as a hat that appears to provide good sun protection (he is red haired/fair skinned) and a bit of warmth (he is also folically challenged.) I think he he wore a hat simply for style/panache, it would be looked upon as a negative.

I simply can't wrap my head around this statement. Any one who wears a hat for anything other than sun protection is suspicious? Hats for style are looked at negatively? I don't get that at all..

fashion frank

One Too Many
Right on the money

IMO the quintessential unpretentious fedora for a priest would be a 2" brim Stetson Saxon in black. Or, as mentioned -- a natural or white Panama with a black ribbon.

...If you go with a baseball cap -or- a fedora color other than black -- you may have to answer to a (very) higher Authority!? :D

I must agree with this poster .
A black fedora with a not so wide brim would be right on the money I.M.H.O., plus it would be helpfull to know the shape and size of the head.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I don't know if you're a priest or not, but a Saturno is traditional (I believe they're properly referred to as Capello(i) Romano(i)). If you're not a priest, this would look really silly.

JamesRamsey-cappellohat.jpg

This guy's one is the best, and unsrurprisingly flashy:

pope-benedict-saturno-hat.jpg

Outside of the Vatican City and perhaps Rome, the Capello Romano would look very silly/odd.

J.B.

Practically Family
Once again in my estimation, if this event is anything more solemn or liturgical than a parish bingo game :D -- it would absolutely NOT be the place for a priest with some (assumed) visibility, seemingly unfamiliar to hat wearing yet concerned about what might properly work to avoid feeling self-conscious or appearing pretentious, to try and wear a less than (very) modest lid!

...And although cucullus non facit monachum, AFAIC wearing a black suit over a black shirt with a Roman collar leaves ONLY a conservative-brim BLACK FEDORA to consider for headwear! Period. Not charcoal, not navy, not midnight blue!
emogrinnojq6.gif
BLACK.

Oh, and:
* Is hat price affordability important? (Some clergy get by only with stipends, etc.)
* How much time will he have to procure a lid? Enough time to fish in the 'Bay for vintage? Any local hat shops for try-ons?
* Will there be enough time to sort of "practice" wearing a hat so that he'll get used to one and achieve some idea of how to deal with it, hold it, tip it back, reseat it, wipe the sweatband, etc?
* Is it going to be tough finding this BLACK FEDORA :D in his hat size? Does he know his hat size yet?
* If he's never going to wear (or infrequently wear) the lid again after the event, would a less expensive BLACK :D wool FEDORA make more sense than fur felt?

Anyway, good luck and high regards!

P.S.: If your friend is the only padre attending this event, and if the day is cloudy and overcast with no precipitation in the forecast -- tell him to ditch the lid, go hatless, and wear a cassock! (The old people will reminisce and think he's awesome!) [angel]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn