Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat for a Job Interview?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It's common knowledge that a plain navy or dark grey suit is recommended for an interview with conservative shirt, tie and shoes.

I have heard little on whether a hat is acceptable. I know you want to be conservative, but isn't some individuality good? I have thought of combining a serious looking hat with a very quiet suit to show both individuality and conformity.

Any opinions on whether a hat is acceptable for an interview, if done subtly?

Thwack

Familiar Face
My guess is that it depends on who is interviewing you. Someone younger might, IMO, pass on you just because of the hat (I've seen my co-workers pass on new highers for less than that) but if you are interviewing with someone a little older they may find it refreshing or endearing.

It would also depend on the job you are going for.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Unless you're in graphic design, or some other "artsy" profession, skip the hat. You don't need someone's preconceived notion that hats are for old people, musicians, etc. to hurt your chances of getting a job. Wear a cap.

RPeers

One of the Regulars
Anything that makes you memorable to an interviewer is a good thing.... flipping through a pile of resumes you could get missed but if you have something such as a hat to make you memorable he will relate your name to the hat ... I had a friend he got a job because he walked into the interview room with fifty others waiting walked right over to the interviewer and said "You know how come you will remember me?" and then started doing backflips and cartwheels around the room he got the job because he stood out from the others

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I actually just interviewed for a job. I graduated from college with my Bachelor's in Criminology this past December, and interviewed with a private investigations agency specializing in insurance fraud. I opted against wearing a hat.

That's mainly because I know the stereotypical trademark of the P.I. is a fedora. Although I've been in private investigations and security for several years now, and have a good foundation, I don't want a potential employer to assume I'm a wanna be investigator, merely because I happen to like fedoras too, and wear them regularly (when I'm not trying to blend in for work, of course).

So I agree, it depends on the type of job you're applying for. And a potential employer could see your hat as a good thing, or a bad thing. It all really just depends.

ortega76

Practically Family
I would carefully consider the work environment and field before wearing a fedora. Just as we complain about "dumb comments" from strangers about a fedora, it may turn some people off. If you have a friend or colleague in the company, ask what the boss wears or what the employees wear. In general, save the lid for your first day.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Lefty said:
You don't need someone's preconceived notion that hats are for old people, musicians, etc. to hurt your chances of getting a job.

Working with assuming people will be hard enough as it is.[huh]

With great regret I say "skip it". Just like I say for an interview to skip wearing any religious symbols and ethnic clothing. It is sad that these things will end up probably hurting your chances, but thats life and that is how people (still) currently work.

Put the hat in your car though, so the instant you leave the interview you can stroke it fondly and don it proudly. Suspending who you are for an interview can be painful, the hat will comfort you!:p

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Dewhurst said:
With great regret I say "skip it". Just like I say for an interview to skip wearing any religious symbols and ethnic clothing. It is sad that these things will end up probably hurting your chances, but thats life and that is how people (still) currently work.

Put the hat in your car though, so the instant you leave the interview you can stroke it fondly and don it proudly. Suspending who you are for an interview can be painful, the hat will comfort you!:p

I must agree with the above, but there's no reason why you could not put a picture of yourself wearing your hat on your CV, even if you didn't wear it to your job interview. That will make your application stand out a little, but most likely not influence the interview situation itself.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice. I suppose I will go to interviews without a hat then, which puts me off, but I can live with that. :( I could always crush the hat in my briefcase so that I can wear it outside, as I wouldn't want to wear it inside anyway.

ortega76

Practically Family
avedwards said:
Would it be acceptable to wear the hat on your second day once you have the job (so that you don't influence people's first impression)?

By all means. I refrained from wearing my lid until my third or fourth day at my current gig. Not that it was a conscious decision, but I work like 5 minutes from my house so I don't really drive or walk long enough to really need it.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You still haven't given us an idea of the type of job, so this is kind of tough. Still though, make them remember you for your personality as it relates to your job-related accomplishments. I'd rather be "the one who won/created/managed/etc." than "the one in the hat."

Once you're in, follow the style of the environment for a while - blend in. Dressing better or worse than other people at any job is usually not a good idea. After a while, you'll get a feel for the wardrobe tolerance level. At minimum, you'll be able to wear your more formal hats without any problem.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm stubborn

My hat is a part of me, of who I am. I wear it everyday, not matter what, so I have worn one to every job interview, regardless of the job. I also wear a suit. If they can't accept my hat, they can't accept me.:)

Brad

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
My hat is a part of me, of who I am. I wear it everyday, not matter what, so I have worn one to every job interview, regardless of the job. I also wear a suit. If they can't accept my hat, they can't accept me.:)

Brad

I like that, Brad. BUT! I wouldn't recommend it, in general terms. Much depends. If you are applying for a job where "independence" is appreciated, by all means: wear your best hat. If not, blend in...and come back in style. Personally, I also ..believe.. that "older" people have a much more developed sense of "take me as I am" ...and pay the price of their pride when faced with ...adversity. But I might be wrong. Or just stubborn.
The truth is, I have always been very conservative at job interviews. Then the hair started growing...and I was unable to stop it lol
Paul

dnjan

One Too Many
Dewhurst said:
With great regret I say "skip it".
Agree. Since, by the time you get to the inner office to meet the interviewer the hat will of course be in your hand, it just adds one more thing to fidget with while trying to maintain a professional demeanor.

dostacos

Practically Family
do gentlemen wear hats more in England than in the US? if so it might influence the decision. please let us know the outcome.

I always slightly overdressed for what ever job I was going for. If I was in for a job that was a levi/work shirt job, I would wear khakis and a button down shirt maybe a tie of a solid color. If I went for a job in a department store, suit, tie shined shoes etc.

Of course my last "job Interview" was get down here now I need help! when I took the physical the doctor never actually got the stethoscope within 6 inches of my body, I looked at him [huh] and he replied that if I fail the physical my boss would break his hands:eek: {great threat to an orthopedic surgeon}I spent the next 20 years treating kids and training orhto residents:rolleyes:

epic610

One of the Regulars
i realize this wasn't a real job interview...

but once i wore a navy homburg to visit the office of a potential client. i removed the hat in the reception area, but then the person i was there to see came in saying, "i heard there was royalty in the house.".

it all depends.

D

demian

Well, if I may chime in..

Again, it does depend on the job to some extent. An art, design, or academic field where style/eccentricity is accepted is fine, yet yes, if wishing to become a policeman or some such...well, a vintage 3" brim fedora would be a bit laughable.

I interviewed once upon a time for computer job..and I was always a suit person..and over-dressed perhaps. It's who I am and I don't care.... I was given more pay as they felt I expected more due in part to my character and dress (I believe)...but also I could have made a mistake as computer people dress more casually.

So, it does depend on the place/job for these reasons.

Above all however, be who you are...from the beginning. Bring people to YOUR level, do not fall to OTHERS..

This is one of the many reasons I Love Italy. One can wear what they want without concern as I have recently realized returning tot he States briefly after some time...even in New York, I found peple dressing quite shabby. It is a symbol of self-respect, no?

I seem to stop at this site from time to time, not particularly liking forums as I find them generally unhealthy...becoming too involved within computer living and not *actual* living...

....yet I have learned all I ever needed to know about fine hats here and am very grateful. They make me smile.

I am not a "vintage guy" either, although I certainly own, respect, and understand the craftsmanship of times past and how almost always it is the way to go if possible...(as is known well, we are buying a style today from modern mfrs., not quality)

That said, I am not a niche sort of "vinatge" person. But I do adore craftsmanship, style...not "fashion."

Although it may appear naive, be a leader, not a follower...be who you are.

These posts stating they feel self-conscious, etc....well, a costume is a costume, and my girl is not a "vintage" type either, and I am constantly criticized... she conforms, is a follower...but I dare to be different and people genuinely admire it, find it charming, and find it incredibly stylish (people say Johnny Depp).. It depends on the person, if the clothes suit you, or if you cannot really pull them off.

If it is who you are, do it. It is that simple (generally). Don't hide who you are...don't wait 3-4 days, a week, whatever...Yeah, you don't have to wear a hat everyday...however...word to the wise, be true to yourself otherwise you will be unhappy.

I could be so vain as to say I have noticed many more people wearing fedoras these days here, especially women...somehow I tend to believe I started the trend! (smile). So I am arrogant...

One truly sees it within the fashions here in Italy the past couple years, especially this year...and hats are catching on again in a big way... give it a couple years or so to reach the States....trust me.

One does not wear a hat inside anyway, you carry it in your hand.

As noted above, people will remember your character, integrity, and accomplishment....not what you wore..unless you of course are vintage obsessed and therefore flamboyant as if you walked out of a James Cagney movie...

Don't set yourself up to be unhappy.
Be who you are from the beginning. There are too many people afraid in life. Afraid who conform...be a leader. Be an individual. Fear is a killer.

Regardless, you should have more important things on your mind than this trivial subject.

Cliche, however, life *is* too short my friend...and good luck with that "work" thing...<wink>

Excuse the length and off-topic remarks.
Ciao

{Politically Correct Edit: Do not wish to offend "Vintage" lovers.}

avedwards said:
Thanks for the advice. I suppose I will go to interviews without a hat then, which puts me off, but I can live with that. :( I could always crush the hat in my briefcase so that I can wear it outside, as I wouldn't want to wear it inside anyway.
I wear boots almost exclusively EXCEPT when initial interviews. If you see me in shoes that tie, I'm either interviewing, playing golf or tennis, hiking or hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner