Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Gift Certificates - Those Tiny Boxes of Delight

buler

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Buler -- that's a nice collection you've got going. :eusa_clap

One of your photos has solved a mystery for me. I have a full-size version of the gift box that is second from the left in your photo:

XmasHatBox.jpg

I have never seen another full-size box like this one, and I have always suspected that it might be a larger version of one of the Christmas gift boxes. Your photo provides the missing link!

Cheers,
JtL

Jimmy, wish those were all mine. The text of my post was misleading. I meant that I found the pictures on the web, not the actual boxes/hats. Only have the Portis I posted above so far.

Glad that the pic helped you match up your box.

B

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is one of the coolest things I've ever read about. It's almost like a quirky in-joke amongst the hat wearers of the time.

It kinda reminds me of the Harry Potter books, where the contestants in the fourth book are made to open satchels containing living miniature figurines of dragons, only to discover that these figurines represented a full-sized dragon the would have to face in the upcoming tournament.
This is similar, except I'd actually want the real thing.

...Sorry about that, I had a geek moment:(

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I've started to collect them since they are cheaper then real hats. I have about 5 now. I remember my PaPa getting them at Christmas. Delmonico's has an old ad in there front window "every hat in this store can fit in this little box" I'll take a picture of it when I go to pickup my Stetson XXX 15 that is being rebuilt.

Jeff

thebroker

One of the Regulars
I just did a search on that popular online auction site after seeing this thread, and I was amazed to see some Stetson miniatures with "Buy It Now" prices of as much as $295!

I learned of these neat little things from an old friend who actually worked at a department store in the fifties. She mentioned that they gave these to people who bought gift hats for other people, and I was intrigued. My first thought, and this might have been answered here, would be that unless you never cashed it in, only the store would have the hats/boxes in the end. Since they aren't numbered, as best I can tell, would one not have to turn it back into the store after picking up the real hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran