Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat\hair\bald question

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I tried to get my hair like Johnny Depp's, but I was remiss in asking to leave the length on the top. Haha. As soon as I walked out, I snapped like ".... CRAP!" Oh well.

The hairstyle aside, wouldn't the crown also be a factor?

Loz Dawes

Familiar Face
seeing that I shave my head, I use sunscreen on my dome (in the summer)....would sunscreen have a detrimental effect on my hat? :confused:

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
I also shave my head. I use my hat instead of sunscreen on my head.

I do not have any scientific knowledge about the ways in which sunscreen might damage hats, but my gut instinct would say, yes , sunscreen probably would damage your hat. The chemicals and whatnot in sunscreen are designed for skin, not for felt or straw. For those same reasons, I am loathe to let sunscreen touch any article of my clothing.

Damon B

New in Town
Always had long hair but the minute it started to thin i buzzed it off a got a cap, best thing ever, no more worrying how it looks (for gods sake im a bloke not a girl!) no more trips to the barbers, looks better and even when the missus complains about my increasing hat collection i point out that its cheaper than her hairdressing bills. Just got a new stetson 8 panel just to prove my point, well and coz i wanted it!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
When I had long hair (aka my teen years), it was the one period of my life when I didn't wear hats very often, although I still did sport my Tyrolean hat after my Europe trip and wore my friend's top hat whenever possible. If I ran a comb through my extremely (almost afro) curls, they fluffed right back to attention.

When I was finishing up college, I got a shorter "business" cut (since I hoped to be doing job interviews soon). At that point I started wearing fedoras daily, since the suit and tie looked incomplete without them and in Florida, I needed sun protection. I found that with a good short (but longer than military) hairdo, I didn't really see hat head. If my hair was out of place, a quick swipe of the hand back and forth on top would put the curls back in order. I also found that the positive reactions my hats inspired more than made up for any hairs that were out of place.

Of course, at 45 I don't have problems with "too much" hair anymore.

So be brave and wear your hats. Hat head is a vastly over-rated issue that is never fatal :)

Andrew

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
If I ran a comb through my extremely (almost afro) curls, they fluffed right back to attention.

Your hair properties may very well be the explanation, why hat-hair is not a problem of yours. My own experience is, that straight thin hair almost is a guarantee for hat-hair - but I happily live with it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24