Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Hanging Idea

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
The obvious solution...

is to market a chain of restraunts specifically catered to persons who need coat/hat hangers at every booth. Call it "That Dive" and you've cornerd a unique niche with, hopefully, great food.

-Allen

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Pilgrim said:
Here's what I do....when I anticipate the need to store a hat, I carry a device made of two feet of nylon cord and a large alligator clip.

BU30BL.jpg

Just loop about 24" of nylon cord through the hollow end of the clip, tie the ends together, and you have a cord with clip attached. You can loop the cord through the back of a chair, clip the end onto the hat's brim and let the hat hang down the back of your chair. This has never damaged a hat, but it doesn't work well in crowded restaurants - although there are often light fixtures or other things you can hang the cord from.

This sounds like the right idea. It's easy and simple to make and can easily be carried in your pocket or under your hat as you wear it

dostacos

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
Mrs Dean has one of these purse hangers, a Christmas gift from co-worker. She loves it & uses it frequently, especially when we sit at the counter to eat. I'd like something that would hook to a chair back & provide a hat rest. JMHO
ONLY if you are sitting out of traffic, otherwise some happy camper will knock it off the chair and before you can grab it 6 people will have played hacky sac with it:mad:

I was going to hang mine on the back of my wheelchair BUT no matter where I sit someone bangs into it at least once per meal[huh] so I put it on top of my wife's purse. when it is 2 of us, no problems, if we have a crowd there is usually an empty chair OR a bench with room;)

linda1137

New in Town
I usually don't take a hat when going out to dinner because there is not a place to hang one at most restaurants.
Well I have solved this problem with a device used for hanging another accessory.The device is called a purse hook.
It has an anchor that sits on the table top and a preformed or retractable hook hangs down under the table top.
You hang your hat out of sight and out of harms way.

Steamin Pete

My friend uses her purse hangers everywhere,especially in restaurants,she says it keeps the purse clean.So instead of holding your purse,putting it on the next chair,putting it on the floor,she hangs it.
How many of you do that? Have you heard of this before? How popular is it in your area? Would you use them? Obviously someone is using them,there are 500,000 subjects on Google.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
My friend uses her purse hangers everywhere,especially in restaurants,she says it keeps the purse clean.So instead of holding your purse,putting it on the next chair,putting it on the floor,she hangs it.
How many of you do that? Have you heard of this before? How popular is it in your area? Would you use them? Obviously someone is using them,there are 500,000 subjects on Google.

I believe the issue is whether we want to use a PURSE hangar for our HATs, not whether we want to use a purse hangar for our purses!

I've carried lots of bags with almost 35 years in journalism ... brief cases, camera cases ... and never worried about one that was placed next to my chair.

But I'd worry if I was going where some of you folks apparently go.

If you are in a bar where they will destroy a $200 investment because they think it's funny ... it's time to pick a different bar.

If you are eating in a place where the floor is so filthy it will ruin a leather purse ... DON'T EAT THERE!

And if your hat is such that clamping the sharp teeth from an alligator clip into it doesn't bother the felt ... what are you worried about. Toss it on the floor under your chair. Besides, they'd just crush into it on the back of your chair.

If, on the other hand, you are wearing a decent hat and eating at a decent restaurant, then I agree with the plan to just use an extra chair. I have been known to ask for an extra chair to be brought in and in a decent place, I've never had a problem with that.

In a rough and tumble joint, I just leave my hat on ... and have never had any problem with that, either. But then, this is the West!

Sam

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
If you are eating in a place where the floor is so filthy it will ruin a leather purse ... DON'T EAT THERE!

It's not a case of ruining a leather purse, it's a case of what the purse picks up in it's travels. Apparently women's purses, especially the underside, tend to pick up and carry some very nasty things: http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/purse.asp

My wife does use a purse hanger at times. I've seen them recently advertised as motorcycle helmet hangers as well. They are not, however, well suited for hats. I do have an alligator clip on a cord doohicky (the alligator clip doesn't have teeth to dig into the felt) that I bought from a fellow lounger (which one, I cannot recall at the moment) but the problem there is remembering to put it into your pocket.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24