Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Head

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cooncatbob said:
250478276_a49d42c969.jpg

What he said. lol
Right On Brother.....:D

Only thing I gotta worry about sometimes is a mark the sweatband might make if I'm wearing it too long, or if it's a windy day & I have to cinch it on a bit tighter. :eusa_doh:

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I have gotten over it mostly ...

After years of fussing and worrying about my hair I have moved past caring too much and I think that is the best way to deal with hat head. This is a very personal thing and for me mostly an issue of how I perceive it rather than how it appears to others. At one time it drove me crazy. I have super fine hair, almost like a baby's and my wife is always touching it. I have gotten used to it after 23 years. I wear it short on the sides and back (cropped) and a little fuller on top (2""). I wash it daily and let dry on its own ... no blow drying or gel or sprays. When I take my hat off and it needs a combing ... I comb it after wetting it a little and hat head is solved. Cheers, Lyndon

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I have wavy hair and a hat will turn it into the worlds dumbest looking hair-do. For me, I've found that working a little water in, I can shape my hair back to an acceptable place. Much like re-bashing a hat I guess. :)

Stan

A-List Customer
kabuto said:
When I rode a motorcycle to work I always had helmet hair. So compared to that, hat hair is nothing. I just don't really care at this point. I certainly don't want goop in my hair to run down my forehead or get on my hats.

Hi,

Me, too. When not riding motorcycles to work, I'm playing volunteer firefighter or amateur racer. So, lots of opportunity for 'helmet hair', which is *much, much* worse than any 'hat hair'.

My solution is to wear a crewcut. I still get helmet hair, although the crewcut cures hat hair by itself. I correct the helmet hair when I get to work by popping into the men's room, wetting my hair, and then drying it with a couple paper towels. That takes all of two minutes.

I keep a couple hats at work for when I ride the bike, which is about half of the year. There's buildings to walk between here, so those hats do get used daily. :)

Later!

Stan

DerMann

Practically Family
I just use a bit of mousse to part my hair in the morning. After it dries, it looks, well, dry, which I like. The hat helps keep my hair combed in my experience. It may just be that I have very resilient hair or something [huh]

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
One recommendation I got and it helps is to tell your barber you want the sides and back a little higher and tighter so your hat won't give you hat head.
I'm transitioning my haircut into a classic business man cut with a clean side part. I have yet to have the top part get messed up by the hat and just had my sides and back tightened up and I am not getting the line now with the shorter sides and back. I'm keeping pomade in my hair so all I have to do is run a comb thru it if it gets messed- don't have to add any water, the pomade keeps a mild wet look to it all day and gives the hair a healthy shine.

duggap

Banned
Gents, let me tell you this. The older you get, the less you get hat hair. I used to have a terrible time when I removed a hat, but as I have aged my hair is thinner and lays down better. Hat hair is not a problem anymore. So don't give up, your time will come. :)

SnobrdnDDS

New in Town
Just wondering what you all do about "Hat Head"? Brill Cream is out.

When very casual it isn't really a problem. when you kind of feel the need to look particularly presentable it can be a problem. There are times when combing doesn't get the impression of the hat out. My Akubra Slouch with a pinched center crush leaves a particularly interesting impression on the top of my head.

Any suggestions?

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
when you figure it out, clue a gal in. If If I'm going to wear I hat I put my hair in pigtails, and don't take the hat off. :rolleyes: Hat hair on a guy is generally acceptable, but on a woman :eek:

I get hat hair on weekends when I work at the barn/pasture/yard & get a good sweat going. During the week, I don't seem to suffer from it unless I need a haircut badly. Even on weekends, I usually take my hat off, rake my fingers thru my hair, tossle the front a bit & game on!

billysmom

One Too Many
Caity Lynn said:
when you figure it out, clue a gal in. If If I'm going to wear I hat I put my hair in pigtails, and don't take the hat off. :rolleyes: Hat hair on a guy is generally acceptable, but on a woman :eek:

That's why so many hairstyles in the past had sort of flat tops with waves beginning right around the hat line! :)

My strategy is to tuck my hair behind my ears and then keep the hat on. Solves all kinds of bad hair day issues.

Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy