Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Life January 1936

hubbit

New in Town
web.jpg

Notice the side crease on this hat. You will see it on other hats in this issue.

I was watching an early 1930s Warner Bros picture a few months ago, one in which Jimmy Cagney stars as an impresario who has to run the same show over different theatres on the same night in order to land a huge contract. One of the minor characters in this movie wears a fedora that has the front brim down, back brim up, but which has Indy-like dents on both the front half and the back half. When I saw this, I thought it was done for comic effect, but it seems that really was an accepted bashing style back then.

I wonder if that double-bash idea came from the Campaign Hat, which was still being worn by infantry troops and which would have been well familiar to anyone who'd served in the Army? There was something similar in a few Western hats, as well.

I'm looking forward to the PDF of this. Great find!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Ed; Sincere thanks for the posting of the Jan.36 Hat Life. I am enjoying it.

On a side note, a good friend is a publisher of a couple of regional, midwest magazines and during a dinner last week I mentioned the gaining magazine shelf space of the lifestyle magazines that pointed to the "good life" that appear to take lessons from 1940-50's mags. We got to talking and I suggested a mag with a hat in the tittle to add the "good life" vntagesque appeal and yet attract the hipper group. The dinner table had a bunch of great feature/content suggestions. My friend is back in the office and e-mailed that he was toying with the idea. Who knows - perhaps a "Midwest Hat Life" may make the mag racks soon. The subsciption list would certainly benefit from F.Lounge regulars.

Thanks for posting Ed.

Eric -

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The articles are interesting as they deal with the issues of the day in selling hats and and how best to sell a hat. Plus the amount of companies making parts of the hat. When hats went out of fashion in the main stream of America a lot of people started looking for work.

Dubya

One of the Regulars
Superb post! Thank you for sharing ;)

Oh how times change eh! The 'Hats for Harlem' article is a real eye opener, especially the caracatures it shows! Blimey! :eeek:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Yes that article is not correct for today. My black friends due love my hats when I wear them more than my white co workers. It more that style is more important to them like is to most of us here.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Though I'm not a big fan of the 1930's small brim/tall crown form of fedora ( I prefer the late 40s/early 50s wider brimmed fedora's) the copy you showed us was fascinating to look at to say the least :) Thanks for taking the time and effort :)

Mr. Bingley

Familiar Face
I really like that Knox "Hilton House" in the "University" ad.

great stuff; thanks for taking the time to scan this.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Hat Life January 1936 PDF

Well here it is the full issue took some time the issue is 78 pages long with lots of interesting articles and ads.
With the loss of popularity of the Fedora you can see this cost the US lots of jobs. There are a lot of small company's that produced all the sweatbands and ribbons and hat body's that went into our beloved vintage fedora's. I hope everyone enjoy's this issue.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hat Life January 1936 PDF

Well here it is the full issue took some time the issue is 78 pages long with lots of interesting articles and ads.
With the loss of popularity of the Fedora you can see this cost the US lots of jobs. There are a lot of small company's that produced all the sweatbands and ribbons and hat body's that went into our beloved vintage fedora's. I hope everyone enjoy's this issue.

Ed,
your link's not working. Can't get the file to open :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24