Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Some rules I've applied to myself.

Not to spend beyond my means. I'm starting small and have collected a few basic tools, a few blocks, some flanges, and other hand tools I need to get the job done, puller downer, pusher downer, rounding jack, band block.,etc ...

I'm not putting money into expensive equipment that I don't know how to use, and will probably never use, or that needs major repairs. I'm a hobbyist at this point and I'm not mass producing custom built hats so I don't need a lot of expensive equipment at this time.

I plan to stay small for the time being and make hats in just three of the most popular sizes to get started.

What I make will probably end up on Etsy. Sell a few hats and save that money to buy more tools and materials that I'll need.

Grow at a pace that's sustainable for me to avoid getting burnt out. But first, I need to get past a few other issues to get things off the ground.

Everything in its own time. No need to rush myself into anxiety.

Just my personal rules.
Good solid plan there T. "To everything there is a season".

Armando

New in Town
Smart. I bought this on Etsy’ Nick-o-sew shop, then he shut down the sight. I tried canceling my $900-$1,000 order. It he refused cause they’d assembled it already and what not. Still, I think I can have good use, I just need a few pointers.
Block spending has been reasonable. Bought from Mark Havens, May he Rest In Peace. Now just waiting on a new block from Kipp, Mark’s business partner. thanks for your insight, T Jones.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Smart. I bought this on Etsy’ Nick-o-sew shop, then he shut down the sight. I tried canceling my $900-$1,000 order. It he refused cause they’d assembled it already and what not. Still, I think I can have good use, I just need a few pointers.
Block spending has been reasonable. Bought from Mark Havens, May he Rest In Peace. Now just waiting on a new block from Kipp, Mark’s business partner. thanks for your insight, T Jones.
Thank you, Armando, and you're welcome. Well, there's no point worrying yourself over your purchase. I'm sure you'll get the hang of using it sooner or later. I think we've all been there. Poor Mark. He was a good guy. I have a few things from him too, but I have to say, I'm pretty excited about some of the blocks and flanges that Randal Alan is making. I have a custom block he did for me and I couldn't be happier. Three of the favorite tools I have are that block from Randal Alan, the rounding jack I got from Rick Walker, and the band block I got from Rockwater.

4-X-Tan-Resistol-6-A.jpg

Last edited:
My next purchase will be some manner of crafters stand or mounted magnifying glass. Perhaps one a petite point maker would use. I really want to learn to hand sew brim binding but discovered that first I have to be able to see it.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I had a pair of bifocal safety glasses with the built in frame light used for work. Great idea but I used my wife 3.0 strength readers and alas were not strong enough.
Well, I have to hand it to you and the other folks out there that are hand stitching brim bindings. It's not something I ever even considered doing. I used to follow the Nancy Reagan credo, "just say no".

Well, I have to hand it to you and the other folks out there that are hand stitching brim bindings. It's not something I ever even considered doing. I used to follow the Nancy Reagan credo, "just say no".
I could learn on my wife's sewing machine but I am loathe to risk screwing up her baby. And I have a cussed/stubborn streak.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I could learn on my wife's sewing machine but I am loathe to risk screwing up her baby. And I have a cussed/stubborn streak.
I understand the stubborn part. All I have to do is look in the mirror. I don't think there's much risk of breaking her sewing machine though. Hat felt is remarkably easy to sew through.

I understand the stubborn part. All I have to do is look in the mirror. I don't think there's much risk of breaking her sewing machine though. Hat felt is remarkably easy to sew through.
Yes, I think it sits as phobia. I love machinery and tools but I look at her sewing machine and I get the flop sweats.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Yes, I think it sits as phobia. I love machinery and tools but I look at her sewing machine and I get the flop sweats.
I also have a deep and personal understanding of the flop sweats. Hah! I don't know how the market is in Canada, but here in the US old, indestructible Singer machines can be had for less than the cost of a fine dinner and drinks.

Well, I finished my wife's hat just now and the good news is that she loves it! …..or at least says she does. I suggested I get into the millinery business.....I was thinking Couture Hats.....but calling my shop Cooter Hats.

My wife remarked after I explained the meaning that if I have to explain something then it loses any impact or meaning it may have had. I guess she is right but I still think it is funny.

My wife will model it and I will snap some pics to show later.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, with everything as it is, these builds are now on the back burner. But I received the "green belly" ribbon from Art's stash today.

1922 Stetson on top, nutria/rabbit blend body below. So, not an exact clone in terms of colors, but certainly will be built in the same style.

Just slightly narrower than vintage

Also looks good on the featherweight Tonak body:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner