Hat making?? Learning Millinery..

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Hugh Beaumont, Jul 8, 2011.

1. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

I would also recommend one of our own fellow Loungers, Rockwater, to make blocks for you. Here's one he made for me from Mahogany, and I think he's currently making a block for another Lounger...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's such a nice looking block that I think I'd rather spend more time staring at it than using it.

For some nice basic hat tools, check out Rick, (another fellow Lounger), at the Phoenix Hat Company. He made up a real nice Rounding Jack for me that I absolutely love using...and it does a spot on job.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I didn’t know that @Rockwater was making blocks for sale. Yours looks perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T Jones likes this.
  3. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you buddy. Yeah, he's making them. I can tell you that the one he made for me is "show piece quality". He did a great job on it. I really like it. Anybody who's interested in one should shoot him a PM. I'll definitely vouch for his work.

4. JessieJames

JessieJames One of the Regulars

Hi,

I'm getting some hats soon and want to be able to reshape them.
    I'm a 55cm head size approx.

I'm wondering if anyone has used a wig hat (it's styrofoam or polyurethane base with a canvas top) and if that would work. I assume I'd get 1 size down like a 21 inch (53.34cm) so that I could use it with the sweatband and liner in.

Just to get the creases out and shape it and use the head to do a teardrop. I don't think the seams in the canvas of the wig stand would cause interference or any mishape? Wanted to know if anyone has used this or if it's advised not to.

This one I was looking at is polyurethane which is stronger than the styrofoam, and it comes with a clamp so I can secure it to a table.

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.ca/Professional-...qid=1557075869&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull&th=1

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat One Too Many

I have tried the construction foam route, with bad results. I've been experimenting, and several coats of something hard seems to help. Polyurethane, maybe.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

6. JessieJames

I wouldn't be making it, I'd be buying it.

The one I'm looking at is polyurethane based.
    I guess it would work? I'm just wondering about the whole canvas part and the seems, might have to put saran wrap over it so slides more?

7. Armando

Armando New in Town

Nice work. Thank you. I'll check it out.

Hat and Rehat and T Jones like this.
  8. Armando

Armando New in Town

Thanks, Mustang Mike. How do I measure to know the block size?

9. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

If that's all your're going to do with your hats then I'd go this route and use a plastic straight sided dome block from Hat Shapers. I have a few vintage wooden hat blocks but this straight sided dome is my go to block and has become my favorite open crown form. I get a lot of nice creases out of this one.
    It's actually the one that I use most when I do complete tear downs for conversions and refurbs. It'll work out perfect for you if all you're using it for is your own personal and occasional use. Anything more than that, then you'd want to go to a wooden block for its durability, and I can recommend a fellow Lounger, (Rockwater). who can make up a real nice one for you...
    http://www.hatshapers.com/Product Pages/Straight_Sided_Dome.htm

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Hat and Rehat likes this.
  10. JessieJames

ya that's perfect! It's thick plastic?
    except the smallest size is still too big for me :(

11. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

I might recommend that you give them a call to see if they will make you one in your size. They did a special order for me a while back and I got just what I was looking for.

Mustang Mike's Hats and T Jones like this.
  12. JessieJames

oh nice I shall!

In that case should I get a 21.5" = 54.6cm if my head size is usually a 55cm (and some hats are a bit bigger)? that way I can use it to shape hats, liner and sweatband in, I'd almost be tempted with a 21" even, I feel it doesn't have to be an exact fit to get the creases out.

13. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

I second what Rick said. They made up a couple of special orders for me, too.

14. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

If you're reblocking with the sweat band in, get one that's your actual hat size, (your actual head measurement, that is). If you're reblocking with the sweat band out of the hat, get one that's a 1/4 inch larger than your head measurement.

15. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

Now I'll second what Terry said.

16. Hat and Rehat

Welcome, Hugh. I'm a 61 year old carpenter with bad shoulders that registered here a few months ago with similar aspirations.
    Before I offer advice, I'll pass on excellent advise I was given, but have not heeded so far.
    If there's a hatter in your area, go meet him. Ask if there's anything you can do to help in his shop while you watch what he does. Maybe he'll even take you on as an aprentice. That would probably be the fastest way to learn. He could stop your mistakes before you ran them into the wrong endzone.
    I say, read this book;
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/641352...a?ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-4&pro=1

17. Hat and Rehat

YouTube can only take you so far. A lot of what you find is more about promoting a particular hatmaker and their business. Others are about manufacture at a level you aren't aiming at.
    One of the best step by step video I saw there was about a woman hatter, a widow, in a small town where most of her work was Western hats. I wish i could remember the name. She and her husband started making hats later in life. I believe he was broken down from years of rodeo.
    They bought a hat business after being mentored by the hatter.
    There's a video here also on YouTube of Art Fawcett producing a hat, step by step. It's great, but my search parameters must have been bad. I never ran across it drifting around YouTube.

18. Hat and Rehat

Only dark hats, historically.

19. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

I think the post you're responding to was made in July of 2011. Then again, nothing wrong with bumping a thread that may have some useful information.

Hat and Rehat likes this.
  20. Hat and Rehat

I think it should just burn, and smell bad. Mainly very dark hats got that treatment, and it was after pouncing, which raises a lot more "fuzz" than brushing.
    It's not a universal practice, and probably not very common anymore.
    Foucault is a bit of a showman. I think he dies it more because of that than any great benefit his hats derive.