Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat persecution?

bikemike72

New in Town
I've read about people who feel awkward wearing a hat or suggestions on buying a "safe" or "starter" hat? What's up with that? IT'S A HAT! That's all. People who wear hats or caps or lids or (insert descriptive) are smarter than those who don't if for no other reason than protection. I'm a former Marine and I can't imagine being in the summer or winter sun with out a hat ("cover" in Marine terminology). Besides functional, hats are cool looking. They complete an outfit (again look at the military). Should anyone fall prey to "hat persecution" as I call it, take a look at who's talking. Probably some paper cut-out of the other paper cut-out standing right next to him, and they're both jealous because the hot lady on your arm will be wearing your hat and nothing else later tonight!

welcome Mike! You'll fit right in here, some Marines & lots of hat-aholics. Bikemike72 as in motor bike or pedal bike? I'm with you = I wear a hat for me, both protection from sun, wind, cold plus the style. Good opening post, jump right on in!:D

panama jack

One of the Regulars
bikemike72 said:
I've read about people who feel awkward wearing a hat or suggestions on buying a "safe" or "starter" hat? What's up with that? IT'S A HAT! That's all. People who wear hats or caps or lids or (insert descriptive) are smarter than those who don't if for no other reason than protection. I'm a former Marine and I can't imagine being in the summer or winter sun with out a hat ("cover" in Marine terminology). Besides functional, hats are cool looking. They complete an outfit (again look at the military). Should anyone fall prey to "hat persecution" as I call it, take a look at who's talking. Probably some paper cut-out of the other paper cut-out standing right next to him, and they're both jealous because the hot lady on your arm will be wearing your hat and nothing else later tonight!

bikemike72,
Welcome to the lounge.
I couldn't agree with you more. Your fedora is what sets you apart from every cookie cutter person out there. You need to be your own person.

pj

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
bikemike72 said:

AMEN brother! Welcome to the lounge bikemike72!

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I really don't care what others think

I like my hats & wear my hats anywhere at any time. some dig it others don't. I have seen fashion faux pas & a nice fedora preferably in quality vintage condition isn't one. my
twocents.gif

semper phi marine .. wear your cover proudly
salute-2.gif

IMG_0238-1.jpg

I think this look is cool on me

----------------
Now playing: Dinosaur Jr - Outta Hand
via FoxyTunes

rrog

A-List Customer
C'mon BikeMike, don't be so shy. Tell us what you really think! Good post and from one old Marine to another, welcome to the lounge. Now carry on.

rrog

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bikemike72 said:
Hoooorah. :eusa_clap

Jabos

A-List Customer
You hit a grand slam with your first post. This should become the Fedora Lounge Mantra!:eusa_clap

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Welcome - and I'm with you, Mike. I can't understand the concept of "starter hat". To me, "starter hat" implies an inexpensive hat of lesser quality. You either have a hat or you don't...why buy something of lesser "starter" quality when the real thing is easy to find?

Enjoy the lounge. There's plenty of room.:D

Pduck

One of the Regulars
bikemike72 said:

I'm still waiting for that hot lady!

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I like your attitude!

Umm, I think the "starter hats" that some people purchase are to see if they even like wearing hats before going for a big purchase. I can easily understand the rational for that kind of "starter" hat.

It is interesting that what was once a cookie cutter item (fedoras) has now become very non-cookie, and those who wear them now (ME and you blokes!) can now make fun of the modern cookie cutters who don't!

Sheesh!:p

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
bikemike72 said:
I've read about people who feel awkward wearing a hat or suggestions on buying a "safe" or "starter" hat? What's up with that? IT'S A HAT! That's all.

Welcome aboard, Mike!

While I appreciate your sentiment, we do at times get new posters who are curious about hat wearing but aren't sure it's for them. Yes, we all know that anyone can wear a hat so long as it fits them in ways other then the size, but not everyone believes THEY can wear a hat. To me, suggesting to someone that they first try a less-expensive hat to get used to the idea and self-image of theirselves in a hat is a way to ease them into hat wearing. It would be self-defeating to point them to an expensive hat first as the cost may just scare them away. Oftentimes cheap hats are the only kind to be had (if you can find any at all) if you're trying to shop locally.

Many of us started that way. My first felt hat (wool) was an "Official Indiana Jones" hat purchased in the early '80s. I still have it.

Look at it this way: someone decides they want to buy a motorcycle. Now, they don't know how to ride but they think it might be cool. Depending upon their peer group, they may be influence by cruiser riders telling him/her that the only bike to get is a Harley Fat Boy (or whatever is the bike they have at the moment) or a Suzuki Hayabusa. Neither bike is appropriate for a new rider, but many new riders go out and spend lots of money on a bike that a. they're not ready for and/or b. is not the type of bike that will be appropriate for the type of riding they intend to do. It's also my experience that many riders don't really know what type of riding they will end up liking the most. So an inexpensive starter bike to learn how to ride (after getting MSF training, of course) and to learn what they want out of riding is appropriate. Once they've got some experience and know better what they want they can move up to the appropriate bike.

Unfortunately, I'd guess that most don't take this approach and many wind up not happy riding without knowing why. The bike winds up sitting in the garage, or eventually being sold.

I think it can be a bit like that with hats.

Regards,
Tom

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I've heard the horror stories but have never had a problem myself. I guess I just don't get out enough -

Goose.

Practically Family
Welcome BikeMike...
What rrog said, don't be shy ;)
Good first post. Shows your lid passion.

bikemike72 said:
I've read about people who feel awkward wearing a hat or suggestions on buying a "safe" or "starter" hat? What's up with that? IT'S A HAT! That's all. ...
Should anyone fall prey to "hat persecution" as I call it, take a look at who's talking. Probably some paper cut-out of the other paper cut-out standing right next to him, and they're both jealous because the hot lady on your arm will be wearing your hat and nothing else later tonight!

But some gents are awkward with themselves' and, sometimes, that manifests itself in their lack of confidence they project to others. But I guess being a bit pyscho doesn't make me a pysch. I will say, as a parrot to what others have said in this thread, that some just want to try the hat gig out.
You're right about the military and hats: if The Corps wanted you to have a wife, they'd issue you one. They do issue you a cover or two.
I'm not a Devil Dog (I'm former Army 11Bravo). But I did spend more than 6 years as a kid watching my dad (Retired Navy Chief) get 'em drinks when he was a bartender at the Marine NCO Clubs at Marine Barracks Pearl and Subic.
As I always say to every Marine for being the oldest and the best, "Semper Fi" Biker Mike...

And you are right, chicks (co-eds, gals, hot ladies, babes, ladies, gals, honeys, women, etc) dig hats. Back to my pyscho pysch, maybe it sends out a confidence message? Dunno...just know I like hats.
I get more compliments on my lid from ladies on my hats than from men (which is PERFECTLY fine with me ;)). Here's my hatjacked Causal as an example...

477472063_ZZGJY-S.jpg

Wil Tam said:
I like my hats & wear my hats anywhere at any time. some dig it others don't. ...
I think this look is cool on me

I CERTAINLY agree WT :)
Tango Yankee said:
So an inexpensive starter bike to learn how to ride (after getting MSF training, of course) and to learn what they want out of riding is appropriate. Once they've got some experience and know better what they want they can move up to the appropriate bike.
I think it can be a bit like that with hats.

Regards,
Tom
Great analogy Tom.
My first bike 41 years ago was a Honda CB200.
I've gotten older, and like hats, have had different scoots. But I still don't know what I'm doing (check out this parking job)...that applies to bikes and lids. My mom dresses me funny.
Click the pic:

BTW, Kangol flat under my vest
;)

Anyway, I've taken more than my appropriate space on this post. Long way to say "welcome and it's ok to try a starter lid" :)

StylinLA

Familiar Face
While I largely agree with Mike's statement, I'll speak out in defense of a "starter" hat. Not ever having worn a hat regularly, I saw a friend with a great VS. Those represent a fairly significant investment, so to see how comfortable I would be in a daily hat, I bought a mid-priced ready-made from a store here in LA.

Wearing it for around a week, I got to see for myself how I felt about it.
Finding out I loved it gave me the desire to notch up the quality and confidence to buy some pricey custom hats.

I see a lot of people in here scoring great deals on beautiful big time authentic vintage hats. But I've been frustrated finding those in my size. So before I stared plunking dollars down for custom mades, I wanted to make sure hats were a good "fit" for me.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Starter hat about $$, not Style

StylinLA said:
While I largely agree with Mike's statement, I'll speak out in defense of a "starter" hat. Not ever having worn a hat regularly, I saw a friend with a great VS. Those represent a fairly significant investment, so to see how comfortable I would be in a daily hat, I bought a mid-priced ready-made from a store here in LA.

Wearing it for around a week, I got to see for myself how I felt about it.
Finding out I loved it gave me the desire to notch up the quality and confidence to buy some pricey custom hats.

I see a lot of people in here scoring great deals on beautiful big time authentic vintage hats. But I've been frustrated finding those in my size. So before I stared plunking dollars down for custom mades, I wanted to make sure hats were a good "fit" for me.
Nice point, StylinLA. When I began wearing hats other than baseball caps last summer, I started with cheap straw stingy brim fedoras and a houndstooth Jaxon for $19. This low-cost way to see how I liked hat wearing got me in and hooked; after a very short while, going out without a hat, or even with a ball cap, made me feel naked, so I knew this wasn't going to be just a phase. So, two modern Stetsons later and on the verge of joining the Johnnyphi hat club (my 7 1/2 light gray thin ribbon Adam Royal should arrive on Monday :D ), I'm willing to put down the bigger bucks. Not Borsalino-style bucks, yet, but I see that day coming.

Thanks, Mike, for your great post. I'm surprised that fellow Loungers haven't yet called for a thread of pics that reflect dates wearing the hat and nothing else, but I suspect they are just being gentlemen.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran