Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat prices hurting hat comeback?

I think the price is hindering it, absolutely, also availability. A lot of people don't wish to buy a hat online. They want to go to a store, try one on, buy it, and take it home. Sadly, the majority of hats that are affordable and in stores, are cheap stingy brim fedoras, and that's why you see them.

Even if they could put some lower-end wool-felts in shops, with proper looks and dimensions, I believe they would sell. I've got a Scala New Yorker I bought new for $25.00 and I wear it quite often. It always gets compliments and people want to know where to get one. Tell them they have to shop online for it and they're done.

In the Biltmore article they mention Shaq but I don't see him is an everyday hat wearer. IMO for him it's more a dress up - costume like situation. Like I said I rarely see (where I live and Baltimore) young Black males wearing city dress style hats (not stingy hipster hats) on a regular basis. Also Biltmore wasn't able to sustain enough business under the ownership of the interviewee (also previous ownership) and had to shut down (now branded by Dorfman Pacific). There are definitively a larger percentage of 50+ Black men (but still a small percentage of that total demographic) wearing city style dress hats compared to other races but it doesn't hold much water outside that age demographic IMO. Of course this addressing the American market place.

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
There are innumerable other factors that influence the social change regarding hats than price to the point where I'm not sure how we can even have a reasonable conversation about the topic. That leaves us with conjecture and complaining. Is the cost of pantaloons, tricornes, and wigs stopping all those from becoming daily garb once again? If high prices were stopping social adoption, the items would be considered a luxury. Aside from motion pictures, Colonial plays, or Halloween, I've never seen a person, rich or poor, seriously wearing pantaloons, a tricorne, or a white powdered wig.

Those are dated examples, just as the fedora will be in another 150 years, but how about the mens suit? You can buy a new suit (though poor quality) for less than $200 or a nice suit for $20 at a thrift store, but I don't see the majority of white-collar men wearing suits anymore as they once did. My point is that for whatever multiple reasons, just like the tricorne, fedoras and other hats fell out of popularity, so society stopped supporting them. I surmise that come 2050 we will see far less people, men and women, wearing suits too because many companies have already applied casual Friday to the entire workweek.

My opinion of the fedora (and to a lesser extent the suit) falling out of popularity: great! The more vintage pickings for me and the easier time I have impressing my gal, family, friends, and employer as being dapper as opposed to other people.:p

Last edited:

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
No wonder. I guess, old still images and movies about long gone eras are about the only sources of hat-inspiration, we have left :)

Yup! Let's also not forget our friendly, neighborhood archeologist Dr. Jones. He has a hand in a portion of interest in these fine hats.

aihpcfl

New in Town
There are innumerable other factors that influence the social change regarding hats than price to the point where I'm not sure how we can even have a reasonable conversation about the topic. That leaves us with conjecture and complaining. .....

+1 To this part. People without a lot of money still find ways for the things they want, whether it is high end sunglasses or whatever. But they don't want hats.

I'm new here. This sort of discussion is why I joined. I would like to see hats come into style big time so that public accommodations would redesign in order to accommodate hats, but it isn't going to happen. My attitude is like that posted by a member in another thread: I chose to wear a hat, I'll deal with it.

I wish it weren't so, but hat wearing the way it was when every man wore a hat is not coming back. (And may that bold statement be proven wrong one day!)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I agree ai...

Hat wearing isn't coming back and won't even if the hats were free.

As it happens I like it this way. One of the cool things for me is being different. If everyone started wearing fedoras, I'd probably switch to baseball caps. I'll wear mine backwards too!

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
David, I was not saying that I wanted it to be a "trend" or anything. I just simply think more people would consider it if there were quality hats available other places than online or at the VERY few hat shops in America.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I am kinda keen on the current trend in men's shoes toward the looks of the 1930s to 50s. Two tones are all over the place and they are more comfortable than ever, even if the production standards aren't as high as something hand crafted from the 1930s, it is nice to know that you can now buy dress shoe style ankle boots from most of the well known mass production shoe manufacturers.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I agree ai...

As it happens I like it this way. One of the cool things for me is being different. If everyone started wearing fedoras, I'd probably switch to baseball caps. I'll wear mine backwards too!

Hypathetically speaking, let's say that did happen and a few of us also chose to that as well... wouldn't that make us hipsters?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hats! LOL! When I first met my Husband, he was wearing a vintage Dunlap fedora, with a very nice black suit and vintage shoes. I think it made him stand out a bit more "well dressed" than anyone else I have ever met to date.

Price of hats? I really do not think that tends to add anything to one wanting to wear a nice Fedora or any other hat. If you think about it, you may desire a hat (even one made from a custom hatter) and you will seem to find a way to buy it if that is what you decide to do. Perhaps the desire has more influence than anything else.

When was the last time you ever noticed a member of the Fedora Lounge posting a picture of their new baggy blue jeans hanging half off their rear ends? Well? You do not see that from the majority of those here. Why? It just is not what we are about. So to be dressed as those that are here tend to strive for is a different, bold, stunning look. I have to think of the name given to Art Fawcett in his hat making business, "Vintage Silhouettes". It is a profile that you see in the overall "look" of both style and fashion. One that most of the members of the Lounge appreciate. No taper, nice crown height, nice brim width, etc. And I rather think that "look" just does no justice at all to the baggy pants society. LOL!

As to the hat stores on every corner, yes, that would be nice. But it is not going to happen soon.

When you have someone stop you in public, and make a nice compliment, do you explain much to them? What you are wearing hat wise? How to size a hat for them to wear? Sources for them to make a purchase and cost involved? I can tell you my Husband does and explains where to find things for both custom hatters and eBay or other online places.

I think from what I observe, for anyone to wear a nice hat, they have to capture a spirit of which comes from within, to have the look, the style. When those that are wearing the junk hats that are sold all over, find out about the real difference between a cheap skate wool hat and a nice vintage or custom made hat, I think the person will take the time to check into things. Then those cheap skate hats do not "do it" for them any more.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it! LOL!

Cindy

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
- and a fine story it is, but we shouldn't forget, that 80-90 years ago, the fedora was (also) the hat of any bum. A fedora wasn't especially stylish before or during The Great Depression. In those days the hat (fedora or cap) was not a stylish fashion statement, but a necessity a man couldn't do without. Fedoras were worn by everybody from the dustbowl - over the steelworkers hanging over Manhatten's skyline - to the lawyer or businessman in the highest social circles. The higher the social status, the fewer fedoras - and the more homburgs, btw.

Most fedora wearers of the day didn't even own a suit or a tie, but wore the hat along with overalls and a blue or checkered lumberjack shirt. That sort of attires are just as much the fedora's natural habitat - though facts like this often seem forgotten on these pages. A lot of the "stylishness", nowadays associated with fedoras, is merely "post justification" ... or in some cases maybe even "wishful thinking" :)

This is something I like about fedoras. They're a hat that works with workwear, or a suit and tie. Try that with a baseball cap, and you'll look like a fool!

I don't have a lot of opportunity to wear a suit and/or tie in my life, outside of church. I like that I can spend money on a fedora and wear it with my chore clothes and it doesn't look odd, like it would with a homburg or the like.

Most fedora wearers of the day didn't even own a suit or a tie, but wore the hat along with overalls and a blue or checkered lumberjack shirt. That sort of attires are just as much the fedora's natural habitat - though facts like this often seem forgotten on these pages. A lot of the "stylishness", nowadays associated with fedoras, is merely "post justification" ... or in some cases maybe even "wishful thinking" :)

Interesting point of view. I often wonder why others wear fedoras.

I wish everybody wore them. I wish everyone still dressed as men did up until the 60's. I hate being the odd man out, but I dress how I do because it feels right.

It is very true that it does make you an individual nowadays. That's not a bad thing, to be different.

I agree ai...

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Interesting point of view. I often wonder why others wear fedoras.

It sounds like we're in pretty good agreement a long way. One of my most important reasons to wear a fedora could very well be expressed like: "This is something I like about fedoras. They're a hat that works with workwear, or a suit and tie." :)

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Annixter,

As I've been losing hair over the past few years, I actually did give thought to picking up a periwig. They're still made, since judges and lawyers wear them in court in Britain and various former British colonial countries.

However, I actually was deterred by the price. A fine horsehair wig is considered a one-time investment by a lawyer in his or her very lucrative career, so it is priced about like a used car in America. So I've stuck with hats for now :)

But someday, I probably will get one, although I doubt I will wear it every day. Hats, however, have always been an everyday thing for me.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I was going to take a selfie with a backwards baseball cap to prove Rusty wrong.

Problem is I can't find one, must be a long time since I last wore one. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner