Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat question from a novice

sunflo9968

New in Town
I would like to know what style of fedora the "Fedora Lounge" icon is wearing.
Also, What style Kirk/Spock wears in that 30's episode of star trek. This summer went on a 75mile hike with a cheap felt fedora and got compliments
all over the joint. Must be on to somthin'. Thanks for any input.

Don't quite know the answers to your questions, 9968, 'cept to say that the guy up top there is wearing a fedora, creased in such as way that the crown is higher in the front than in the back, and that it also sports what is commonly called a front pinch. I have no idea about the Star Trek thing.

But hey, I didn't want your inquiry to go without a response. So there ya go. Maybe someone else here can tell you more, especially about that Star Trek stuff.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Hah, Star Trek Episode #49 - "A Piece Of The Action". I always loved that one. Even bought the VHS tape. I've always tried to figure out what kind of hat's they were myself, but I always disliked the one Kirk wore. Much too fuzzy for my taste.

STPieceoftheAction.jpg

I think Kirk's is made from rabbit fur, but I'm not certain. Spock's lid on the other hand, I liked a lot and though the make is a mystery, I've seen many a hat that have looked similar. I don't think you'll have a difficult time finding one like it. The hard part's giving up the dough! lol They're both obviously wide brimmed and I think it's safe to say 2 1/2" at least. The crowns? Hard to say how high, but I'd probably put my money on a 4"+ height. I think they were both "teardropped", but I can't remember. Spock's had a binding and Kirk's, I can't tell what kind of welt. To be honest, I don't think anyone, but the costume designer could tell you what brand and style those hats were. Good luck pal.

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
Get used to getting compliments.
People seem to respond very favorably to hat wearers; there's a thread on the Lounge that covers it. Wear your hat!

sunflo9968

New in Town
Thanks for the replies! Like i said i'm a novice. Don't know a pinch from a crease but i know what i like. Without doubt the hat makes the suit, and i think people who see you wearing a nice hat are afraid to wear one themselves.
Hey, when you put it on and see yourself in the mirror you say"D... i look good! Thank you one and all.

duggap

Banned
I don't know where you are from, so I don't know if you have any hat stores within reach, but if you do, pay them a visit and try on several hats until you find what seems to work for you on your face. One hint, don't spend a great deal on hats the first few months because you will find your taste changes as you wear your hats. For example, I started out wearing a very short crown but now I like a tall crown. Enjoy the ride and welcome aboard.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy