Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat ribbon questions

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
besdor said:
I am very curious as to who Petitour is. I've bought and compeated agaist him on Ebay over the past few years on many hat related items. I've emailed him a few time . Appearently they have some kind od "hat foundation " with many interesting items. More than that I dont know. But I am very curious as to what they still have as they have been selling on the 'bay for years.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Casually curious or genuinely concerned? Is there an issue we should know about, or are you just wondering, Steven?

If there is a problem, I'd want to know.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I'm not concerned at all. I think that he may have a lot of interesting things we hat lovers would love to see on the lounge. I have bought some interesting hat books from them as well as some old hat catalogs in the past few years. But they are very secretive as to where they are and what they have.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I almost bought a ribbon from him, but I stumbled onto a couple yards of a vintage color I liked better. Good to know that things would have gone well. He's in my "favorite sellers" list.

J.B.

Practically Family
I even found his "ligne" measuring 6-inch ruler from Stetson Hat Company -- St. Joseph, Missouri to be an interesting artifact. :)

Tone

A-List Customer
Ribbon resources are always a plus. Thanks for taking a moment to share some useful info and resource information here, Spatterdash - including proper credit to that vendor.

Daizawaguy also linked some info (looks like the same image batch from this vendor) regarding ribbon ligne to inches conversion.
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=51132

I've found a few places with some great ribbon, but this guy definitely looks like another great place for DIYers, too. Nice that you credit the source properly, too.

Watson8737

Vendor
In need of Petersham Grosgrain Ribbon 1 3/4.

Hi, Sam I just found that you know of a local company that has petersham grosgrain ribbon. If you can help me out by sending me their information that would be great.
I would love to give them some business by buying some from them.
Let me know.
Thanks.
~E. Watson

A couple of years ago, when I got serious about doing my own western to fedora conversions, I began to learn about ribbon.
Until then, I, like 99 percent of the rest of the world, including the hatting world, figured ribbon was ribbon.

It's not.

Petersham is worth the extra money and the effort.

I get mine from a fabric store in a college town about 3 hours drive from here. The store specializes in "natural" fabrics and quilting supplies and it usually has a good variety, especially in black, brown, tan and in various widths.

(BTW -- what do you suppose is "unnatural" fabric? Is it woven by zombies?:eek:fftopic: )

Anyway, I try to buy more than I'll need so I'll have it on hand.

If I have a project I know I am going to work on, I take the hat with me ... if I'm planning a color other than black, so I can match them up.

The folks in these fabric shops seem really anxious to help out us bumbling men ... they are always very helpful.

It might be convenient to order Petersham off the Net, but it's great to buy it in person where you can handle it and get a better idea of the excact color.

Hope that helps ... all except the zombie stuff, I don't know where that came from ... sorry,

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
How on earth can zombies weaving Petersham ever be off topic?

Anyway,

The source is relatively local to me. It's in Lawrence, Kansas. Probably not too local for Dayton.

I found this store by checking out quilt shops because Petersham is often used in bindings.
Also, if you can find anyone who does Reenactment women's clothing, Petersham is often used to finish off women's under garments.
Best of luck,

Sam

navarre

Vendor
There are 3 vintage ribbons on ebay ight now.
look up "Men'S Vintage Fedora Hat Ribbon"

Petty sure thats not how to post that, but for what its worth.

Brown , Blue and Black.

Great info on this site in addition to (Finally) being able to choose very nice bands. I went through filling out the ordering form to see what shipping would be for 1 $5.00 band.

$8.95????!?!

I tried going on the USPS site to calculate just sending a 6 oz envelope to Ecuador would cost and, I guess, International shipping is just a heck of alot more expensive than I thought. Wow

Searching for "Hat Accessories" seems to be the secret. I found bands left & right using that term

Last edited:

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
So as I am waiting for my Federation IV, I was wondering where i could find online a black ribbon for it. i made several sevral but could not find anything. Any idea ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy