Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat shops in Philly

tortswon

Practically Family
Another Philly guy

Just wanted to add my name to the list of Philly guys. Oscar is terrific. In fact, the whole store is a little slice of nostalgia. The area where it is located was the center of Philly fashion back in the day.Diamonds, Krass Brothers, Al Berman, Dietz Hats, Dobbs Hats, etc. Best, Sam

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
tortswon said:
Just wanted to add my name to the list of Philly guys. Oscar is terrific. In fact, the whole store is a little slice of nostalgia. The area where it is located was the center of Philly fashion back in the day.Diamonds, Krass Brothers, Al Berman, Dietz Hats, Dobbs Hats, etc. Best, Sam
"Alive by side we're loose and neat,
When we're stompin' down the street.
Hurry down,
Baby, to the
Hippest street in town!"

My Mom insists on bringing this song up every single time we go to Philly (and Gianna's and Horizons are too delicious to keep us away for long). And I don't think she realizes we've heard it a thousand times. Ah, moms.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I'm a South Jerseyan with 2 Street roots!
I only knew of Hats in the Belfrey from hanging on South Street way back in the day. JC Dobbs, The Copa, Manny Brown's, Fat Tuesday, ahhh those were the days!
I'm down for a meetup in Philly! I'm a bit of a cigar smoker, so anyone who's interested, we could have a lil meet up at some hat joints and go have a smoke at Mahogany on Walnut?
Maybe?

Lou

One of the Regulars
I'm into cigars too, so including Mahogany in the meet is fine with me.

I stopped by Famous Headwear. If there's a sign, I didn't see it and would have never noticed the store had I not been looking for it. He has lots of nice fedoras, but I didn't find anything in my size.

LesRichards Menswear in Liberty Place on 17th and Chestnut has some nice hats. I noticed Dobbs, Bailey, Stetson, and plenty of caps. Nice clothes and shoes too.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Mahogany is closed on Sundays. Seems that some of the hat joints are too, from what some others have posted.
Saturday afternoon is all reet with me in general. South Street Hats is one I'd definitely like to visit, but we could do a crawl to all 3 in that area, too. A few locations for libations are nearby IIRC...:)

Do we want to shoot for a particular date in January? Can we get a quorum?

funneman

Practically Family
Lou said:
I finally got to check out South Street Hats. I met Oscar and his staff, all super nice guys. I told them of the recommendations I got here for their shop, and they were really pleased to hear it. Oscar said he wasn't an Internet guy, but had heard about the site from a customer who had come up from Florida and walked out with a nice blue hat!

That's great! :eusa_clap

The hat in question:

untitled1-2.jpg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Great lid Funneman!:eusa_clap

Did you leave any gems there, or was that one the jewel of the collection?? Sheesh, we local cats need some headwear too! :p :D

South Street Hats in Philly

Because I don't have any locally, I decided to send off my Resistol Wanderer to Oscar at South Street Hats for a clean & block service, http://southstreethats.com/
Oscar is an old school hatter & did a GREAT job on my hat. He is a character to deal with. I'm sending my vintage Stetson Stratoliner there next.
Before:
reswan1.jpg

reswan2.jpg

After:
reswan4-1.jpg

reswan5-1.jpg

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
excellent

Thank you for taking the plunge. I will definitely be using them for this service now.

was in their shop years ago to buy a basic flat cap- nice people.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
gtdean48 said:
Because I don't have any locally, I decided to send off my Resistol Wanderer to Oscar at South Street Hats for a clean & block service, http://southstreethats.com/
Oscar is an old school hatter & did a GREAT job on my hat. He is a character to deal with. I'm sending my vintage Stetson Stratoliner there next.
Before:
reswan1.jpg

reswan1.jpg

After:
reswan4-1.jpg

reswan5-1.jpg
Great! Did you have to pay extra for him to make it darker?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW