Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Sightings

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I've taken to counting the number of "fedora-like" hats I see during the day, and they've become pleasantly frequent. I know they are nothing more than a fashion right now, but I hope that as the fashion continues it moves more toward the tradional fedora. They're getting the basic shape right, and the idea of wearing a non-baseball cap has taken hold. Hope for all.

Noindex

New in Town
I'm in Vegas and don't see to many fedora's. I see a lot of the younger people wearing the "urban" type Justin Timberlake hats....but not to many real fedora's. But I guess they have to start somewhere.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Well, I guess this thread ran out of steam quickly, and quite a while ago! Either hat sightings are not so unusual now, or we just don't care! At any rate, here in Los Angeles (and the suburbs) one often sees canvas stingy brims, especially on teen boys and men under about 35. Where I work in north Silver Lake (considered a very "hip" district of L.A.), stingy brims are very common, even on women and kids. (You know that a piece of men's attire has gone into commericial "fad" status when women and kids start to wear it.) :eek: However, I rarely see a stingy brim worn with "dress" clothes, but rather with jeans or canvas pants, along with a sports shirt or T-shirt.

Regarding more "traditional" felt hats with substantial brims, you do see them from time to time in the area. A couple of days ago, on a slightly cool morning, I was walking in the government section of downtown Los Angeles, and within two minutes saw two men in sports coats wearing full-brimmed fedoras. One man appeared to be Black, the other White (it was across the street, and a little bit cloudy), and both apparantly middle-aged. Were they co-conspirators of some sort, hired by Stetson or Golden Gate to be human placards? Don't know, but it was good to see men actually dressed up and wearing full-brimmed hats...apart from those we see at Fedora Lounge events.:eusa_clap

High Pockets

Practically Family
Not many fedoras here, even the cowboys now wear ball-caps.

Four or five of us are now wearing fedoras to Church now, but our particular parish is a very conservative group, almost outcasts in the Catholic Church, so I don't think it'll ever progress outside the parish.

Occasionally I see someone from Fire Dept Administration wearing a leather Ivy cap, but no fedoras.

I get a lot of compliments as well as comments like; "I wish I could wear one of those." but no one seems to have what it takes to actually do so,.....I've never understood that.:(

Bingles

A-List Customer
I see quite a few ivy caps and newsboys this fall. Fedoras are uncommon to see anymore. I see at least one a day when working my retail job (not including the canvas kind).

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Spats McGee}iven that there are only 2 places in Little Rock or North Little Rock that I'm aware of where you can get a fedora (& one of those was a recent surprise) said:
I'm updating a list of hat retailers that carry fedoras. Can you give me store names, address, and / or web address? thanks

4and1

One of the Regulars
I generally see about one fur felt fedora per year around here, but one day I happened by the grand opening of a music store and sighted five.

Actually four of them were stingy brim, so I counted them as a half of a fedora. So, three in one day!

rrog

A-List Customer
I"m seeing a few more all the time. And when I'm out and people comment on my hats, they always make some kind of comment about how they're seeing more fedoras too. I had a guy ask me just yesterday where I got my fedora. I was wearing my Fed IV. I told him I got it from hatsdirect in Australia. Then my wife added, "But we've never been to Australia." After seeing the guy's questioning look, I told him I ordered it online. But he wanted to know where he could walk in and try some fedoras on and handle them before he bought them. I just told him that if he found such a place around here, please let me know. But at least he's sort of in the market. And he wasn't much older than me. (I'm 44).

rrog

Trotsky

A-List Customer
rrog said:
I"m seeing a few more all the time. And when I'm out and people comment on my hats, they always make some kind of comment about how they're seeing more fedoras too. I had a guy ask me just yesterday where I got my fedora. I was wearing my Fed IV. I told him I got it from hatsdirect in Australia. Then my wife added, "But we've never been to Australia." After seeing the guy's questioning look, I told him I ordered it online. But he wanted to know where he could walk in and try some fedoras on and handle them before he bought them. I just told him that if he found such a place around here, please let me know. But at least he's sort of in the market. And he wasn't much older than me. (I'm 44).

rrog

Yeah, nowhere in East Tennessee, unless Knoxville has some hidden gem I was never aware of.

Out here, in South Dakota I see lots and lots of hats... all cowboy style. The most common though are beaten and battered working ones, practical hats that have been through the ringer a few times. Hell, I saw one guy in Wal-Mart straight off the ranch, complete with classic 10 gallon Tom Mix style and tall beat-to-hell boots with his jeans thrust in them.
My fedora is unique and, seemingly, unusual in this land of the Rancher. I have no problem with that. Also, there IS a hat shop and I think the owner sees my fedoras as a novelty. I hope so, because I want my brown rambler refitted pretty bad.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I saw this one the other day at a mountain bike race.Not a very good picture.

R0015078.jpg
[/IMG]

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
Three

I spotted three fedoras passing through the S.N.P. and the Skyline Drive. One looked like an LL Bean Moose River, another was blue/gray, and the last one was tan color.

I didn't go in the drive or even get out of the of the car. However it was very crowded, so the number of people assured a few sightings.

H.

dnjan

One Too Many
Seattle is a good "hat place". Here on the UW campus, another faculty member in my department has been wearing a fedora, and a second grad student has started wearing one. Last Friday I even saw one of the University Administrators in a fedora.

The stingy brims are big here too. The best part is I have gotten very many for cheap at goodwill. Have hit a recent lull though. Too bad it's the timberlake ones that are en vogue. Not to mention that being a big guy, I can't pull stingy brims well.

Hey Mr. B...

Mr. B said:
I'm 27 and the youngest none ball cap gent in the area. To my knowledge that is. I see plenty of 40 and up's sporting fedoras of all materials.

we're becoming more common around these parts. on a side note, they just put up a statue of George Eastman on the campus at the U of R, and he's sporting a fedora, so who know's we may be "in" style some day

I know the feeling

High Pockets said:
Not many fedoras here, even the cowboys now wear ball-caps.

Four or five of us are now wearing fedoras to Church now, but our particular parish is a very conservative group, almost outcasts in the Catholic Church, so I don't think it'll ever progress outside the parish.

Occasionally I see someone from Fire Dept Administration wearing a leather Ivy cap, but no fedoras.

I get a lot of compliments as well as comments like; "I wish I could wear one of those." but no one seems to have what it takes to actually do so,.....I've never understood that.:(

My minister has made the comment on more than one occassion he wishes he could pull off a hat, I should just find out his size and give him one!

texashatman

Familiar Face
Living west of Houston in horse training and cattle country I see cowboy hats every day but very rarely see non-straw fedora. Of course it's hot as can be here about 10 months a year. I have been seeing a lot more panama's and a new hat store (Schudde Bros.) just opened up in a little town nearby. He's got a great selection too about half western half "city". There used to be a great haberdashery in Galveston but it closed a few years ago. Luckily Houston has many hat stores too. I was recently in Japan and saw quite a few hats on the street and at the airport.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have noted more men wearing classic fur felt fedoras over the last couple of years in this area. There are a good many westerns all the time but the fedora seems to be much less uncommon now. After I began to wear them instead of my cattleman's ORs around work, there are at least three other guys there who have bought and wear them with some frequency. I have even seen one attorney at the courthouse in one this year. In the cooler weather, they are seen at my church as well, and in summer, some of the men wear straw fedora style hats.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Hope this fits in this thread.

I’m about the only one around here that wears a fedora,….and I mean the ONLY one. Although I own twelve of them and wear them quite often, only recently did I get brave enough to start wearing them into the fire-station.

Although the Fire Chief and I have on occasion talked about fedoras, up till now he's yet to wear one.

The other day he calls my station and tells them to have me report to his office. When I got there he met me at his secretary’s desk and said;
“I’ve got an opportunity for you,…..and maybe several more in the near future.”

We walked into his office and he handed me an old dirty Royal Stetson and said; “See what your friend in Chicago can do for this, it belonged to my wife’s grandfather and I’d like to start wearing it. If he can clean it up I may have several more for him to do.”

He put the old Stetson on in front of several people outside his office and asked everyone there; “What do you think?” and smiled when everyone commented him on the look and said that he’d look great in it.

:D One more fedora wearer in town! And an influential one at that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass