Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Sightings

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I thought I was unique in this town!

I'm out in Haverhill, MA. I thought I was the only one around town that wore a fedora, but sometimes see another guy walking about town with one. He wears a brown felt stingy, with matching suit and topcoat. I've wanted to stop a couple times and maybe offer the guy some help in getting a better lid, but never have. It looks way too small for his head.

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
High Pockets said:
Hope this fits in this thread.

I’m about the only one around here that wears a fedora,….and I mean the ONLY one. Although I own twelve of them and wear them quite often, only recently did I get brave enough to start wearing them into the fire-station.

Although the Fire Chief and I have on occasion talked about fedoras, up till now he's yet to wear one.

The other day he calls my station and tells them to have me report to his office. When I got there he met me at his secretary’s desk and said;
“I’ve got an opportunity for you,…..and maybe several more in the near future.”

We walked into his office and he handed me an old dirty Royal Stetson and said; “See what your friend in Chicago can do for this, it belonged to my wife’s grandfather and I’d like to start wearing it. If he can clean it up I may have several more for him to do.”

He put the old Stetson on in front of several people outside his office and asked everyone there; “What do you think?” and smiled when everyone commented him on the look and said that he’d look great in it.

:D One more fedora wearer in town! And an influential one at that!

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

HatNPipe

New in Town
I just spent half a day in the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson airport waiting for a flight. Sad to say there wasn't much in the way of dress hats to be seen. I counted two youngn's in stingy brim Fedoras. Lots of cowboy hats though. :)

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Lots more in Melbourne, Australia. Dress hats as well as the modern... things!... I've also seen a bowler and a few Homburgs this year. I generally spot at least one dress hat a lunch break.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
High Pockets said:

I’m about the only one around here that wears a fedora,….and I mean the ONLY one. Although I own twelve of them and wear them quite often, only recently did I get brave enough to start wearing them into the fire-station.

Although the Fire Chief and I have on occasion talked about fedoras, up till now he's yet to wear one.

The other day he calls my station and tells them to have me report to his office. When I got there he met me at his secretary’s desk and said;

We walked into his office and he handed me an old dirty Royal Stetson and said; “See what your friend in Chicago can do for this, it belonged to my wife’s grandfather and I’d like to start wearing it. If he can clean it up I may have several more for him to do.”

He put the old Stetson on in front of several people outside his office and asked everyone there; “What do you think?” and smiled when everyone commented him on the look and said that he’d look great in it.

Yes, that is a great story.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I live in central Florida, mostly trucker caps and western hats around here. I do see older guys in felt fedoras once in a while, maybe 3 in the past year. I usually wear mine around or a tweed Irish flat cap. I see a lot of straws but mostly on elderly guys and with a green visor on the front.

norton

One of the Regulars
HatNPipe said:
I just spent half a day in the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson airport waiting for a flight. Sad to say there wasn't much in the way of dress hats to be seen. I counted two youngn's in stingy brim Fedoras. Lots of cowboy hats though. :)

I passed through there in July and was delighted to see a man very nicely dressed in a tie and blazer and wearing a boater.

Now that the weathers cooler I've been wearing a fedora every day but haven't seen any others. I have gotten a couple compliments from strangers though.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
i spotted 2 well worn fedoras here in Ann Arbor .
the hat i got off ebay is in such nice condition that i dont wear it much , now im looking for a beater.

metropd

One Too Many
High Pockets said:

THAT'S GREAT!!! GOOD FOR YOU!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Around here, you cant walk into a store that sells clothing without seeing a rack of those cloth stingies. The only people I ever see wearing them are greasy teen boys, and not many at that.

The other day I was in my dr's office building, and there was a man in a suit wearing a fedora. It wasnt a classic style. It had a thin ribbon and some kind of buckle looking thing on it, but it was a fedora. I looked at him, acknowledging his hat with my eyes, and he looked back at me, but appreared to miss the 'hey, we've both got fedoras on' acknowledgment. Maybe it had something to with the fact that I looked like I was recovering from pneumonia, dressed in sweats and my Fed IV.

funneman

Practically Family
I was having lunch at a Friday's across from University of Miami on Sunday.
A young man walked in with a lady friend and he was wearing a black stingy with the brim turned up all around. It looked great on him. Oddly, it was one of the few times I was without a lid.

I wanted to compliment him on his choice of headwear, but decided to leave him and his companion alone to enjoy their meal.

High Pockets

Practically Family
During the World Series telecasts, I noticed a few men wearing fedoras in the crowd, and just tonight while watching the CMA awards my wife and I saw more than one artist wearing one. :D

:) It does my heart good!

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
mystery man in a coffee shop with nice and large luggage
2lve1w7.jpg

sorry for the grainy phone pic
i couldn't help but wonder about this guy. it was before 6am
here in Ann Arbor.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Today while on campus, I spotted three hats, actually. One of them was a black (felt looking) fedora with a feather on it, and some guy (about my age) was wearing it. I also saw one of those cloth ones somewhere in the crowd. But I also saw my previous semester geography professor (she's in her 40s or 50s), as usual, wearing some kind of Australian hat, not a fedora, but it was a felt. Oh, and did I ever mention, that my political science professor (looks to be in his 50s or 60s) is sometimes seen wearing a brown fedora? With a suit I might add. He didn't wear it today, but he occasionally does have it.

Just for the record, this is a southern California junior college I'm talking about here. Most people are dressed extremely casually, aside from professors and a handful of students, but it seems that all of these different groups can be seen sometimes with some sort of fedora or trilby. Come to think of it, I think it is making something of a "minor comeback..."

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have never seen anyone wearing a fedora before, unless they were of um...'mature age'.

But I have seen a growing number of people in their mid-twenties & thirties wearing trilbys and flat-caps recently. It's nice to know that what I'm wearing isn't so weird after all. I've been wearing a trilby hat for about six weeks, now, and it's really helpful on windy days, keeping the sand and other crap out of your face...provided you can stop the hat itself from taking off!!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Not college related, but I do remember spotting an older looking gentleman wearing what appeared to be a homburg while I was trying to buy a pass for a concert (it was sold out, and unless he had reservations, he likely couldn't get in either, as I had arrived before him). He was also wearing a suit, and his wife, a dress. This is in Los Angeles, California, for the record.

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
I am starting to notice more hats here in AR .... actually today I noticed two sure enough fedoras one was on a young college kid that unfortunately looked like a social outcast ... and another on a 50ish guy at lunch ... looked like a oil cloth but well worn. A friend of mine at work is starting to catch the hat bug so there is hope!!!!! I also spotted a nice hat at the Boston air port on a recent trip when I say nice it was clearly Optimo type quality at a glance I could tell. The guy was in a hurry so I didn't stop him ... I am sure we would have had a pleasant visit!!!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've only known one other person in my age-bracket who regularly wore a hat. He was a classmate of mine in university. I wasn't as knowledgeable about hats back then (about a year or two ago, now) as I am now. I think it was a homburg or a trilby. It looked like it had a rather high crown and a shortish brim. It was black in colour.

Tim in Ohio

Familiar Face
Was on my morning commute the other day on the highway wearing my Dobbs Daily. A gentleman in his 30s or 40s pulled up alongside in the passing lane wearing a nice vintage fedora as well. We exchanged glances, touched the brims of our hats in greeting and went on with our mornings... it was really cool.

I'm definitely feeling the times changing to where we are not viewed as wearing a costume, but rather belonging to a brotherhood of finely appointed gents.

:eusa_clap

Tim in Ohio

Familiar Face
Kkaderly said:
I am starting to notice more hats here in AR .... actually today I noticed two sure enough fedoras one was on a young college kid that unfortunately looked like a social outcast ... and another on a 50ish guy at lunch ... looked like a oil cloth but well worn. A friend of mine at work is starting to catch the hat bug so there is hope!!!!! I also spotted a nice hat at the Boston air port on a recent trip when I say nice it was clearly Optimo type quality at a glance I could tell. The guy was in a hurry so I didn't stop him ... I am sure we would have had a pleasant visit!!!

Kkaderly,
That is a nice looking lid in your avatar pic. You wear it well. What is it?
Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto