Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat sizes

Al

One of the Regulars
As I use a hat everyday, I have many, about 20. Some in boxes, others on the wall and still others on a hat tree. Many are under $100.

My hat size is 7 and 1/8. Some are labeled Small and they fit, others are labeled Medium and don't fit (too large or too tight).

Regardless of labeled size, I prefer to buy slightly tight and have them stretched to fit comfortably as opposed to buying too large and pad them with spacers. Is there a predominate preference out there to stretch or to pad?

What's your take?

Just Curious

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Al said:
As I use a hat everyday, I have many, about 20. Some in boxes, others on the wall and still others on a hat tree. Many are under $100.

My hat size is 7 and 1/8. Some are labeled Small and they fit, others are labeled Medium and don't fit (too large or too tight).

Regardless of labeled size, I prefer to buy slightly tight and have them stretched to fit comfortably as opposed to buying too large and pad them with spacers. Is there a predominate preference out there to stretch or to pad?

What's your take?

Just Curious
Personally it drives me crazy to wear a too-tight hat. I never stop thinking about it. I like one just a little loose, because I think hats are best when they are just a little loose on the head; you can move them around more. It looks more casual on you, which is good. But not too loose. When I look at old movies, in the Era of Hats, I notice that hats seem a little loose, erring on the large rather than small size.

Duper

Practically Family
I much prefer my hats a bit looser and I add a bit of padding. As time goes by I can take some padding out as required. I find that easier then putting them on the stretcher. Plus I really don't like a red line on my forehead when I remove my hat.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Al said:
Is there a predominate preference out there to stretch or to pad?

What's your take?

Many materials exhibit a tendency to shrink as the years go by. A well made and treasured hat will hopefully last for years, and so I tend to err on the side of slightly too big, rather than already too small.

Otherwise, I like to go for the "perfect" fit, when possible (either made for my noggin', or a really close pre-measured item).

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I'm between a 7 3/8 and 7 1/2. A hat in either size will conform to my head after enough use. Stretching can deform the hat so I usually go bigger. I have never padded a hat.

carldelo

One Too Many
The hats I've had that were too tight never stretched out satisfactorily. I would never willingly buy a hat too tight and count on it being stretchable. The hats I've had that were a bit loose have tightened up over time - that or my brain is getting bigger, so they fit better, yeah, that's it.....

saucerfiend said:
Yes, good question. Also, where can you buy padding specifically made for hats?

Brian

Manhattan Wardrobe Supplies sells foam with adhesive and undyed felt to reduce hat size. I would opt for the felt:

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_mjsupp.html

David Morgan sells small pieces of felt for only a buck if you don't want a whole roll:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=69

But you can just as easily buy some squares of felt at a craft or fabric store and cut your own. Undyed is a good idea to avoid colors running from heavy sweating.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I hate the padding idea myself. It just feels funny to me, the sweatband is all lumpy, the hat doesn't look right...YMMV.

I have had pretty good luck stretching hats, newer of quality and vintage, if they're just a tiny bit too tight. Steam and pressing them tight down over my head*, right to the ears, and leaving them there for a while. Repeat over and over until they stabilize.

* When you push them down that hard, do press the back of the brim together right where the sweatband seam is as you work it onto your head. Hook hat on your forehead, then press base of brim together in back as you squeeze it way down over those bony skull parts...the reason is to prevent breaking the stitches at the back of the sweat. I did that once and had to resew - but never had that problem later when I did the above.

Mine haven't shrunk either, not while I've had them. Vintage hats especially - they seem about impossible to shrink even when using water and a hair dryer.

Ya know, reading over what I wrote, I got to thinking "what a weird guy this woodfluter is...he sounds like his brain has been squeezed!"

- Bill

Al

One of the Regulars
Woodfluter said:
I hate the padding idea myself. It just feels funny to me, the sweatband is all lumpy, the hat doesn't look right...YMMV.

- Bill

I was talking about a hat that is just a skosh tight. Not by much. I also dislike padding for the same reasons you quoted.

Hey! what do I know?

new2hats

A-List Customer
So I have like 50 hats and am in the process of downsizing. The only problem is, I like each hat for different reasons! One reason I found it difficult to just unload some from my hat collection, is that I like some hats with some traction (for outdoor, weathery hats), some that just feel spot on, and some looser (for indoors for instance, or when wearing the Halo style). I noticed that if the hat is loose but not too loose, I forget about it on my head which is a good thing. The tighter ones seem to "remind me" that it is there and I end up taking it off. They all lie in the definition of "it fits my head" but feel different.

So I came up with a grading system to designate on the sticky note on the hat box, lol to describe how the hat feels on my head. A "-1" means a little tight, where I may need to stretch it or good for when hair is short. That is, the hat stays with me with some noticeable pressure at all times on my forehead. A "0" means perfect fit where it does not feel like pressure on my forehead and when I nod/shake it stays with me. Lastly, a "+1" means that it is a little loose and moves slightly when I shake my head and it may need a hat sizer. Or good for when my hair is longer or I get sweaty.

Hopefully you all dont think I'm crazy at this point, but does anyone have a similar system of hat fit?

So I have like 50 hats and am in the process of downsizing. The only problem is, I like each hat for different reasons! One reason I found it difficult to just unload some from my hat collection, is that I like some hats with some traction (for outdoor, weathery hats), some that just feel spot on, and some looser (for indoors for instance, or when wearing the Halo style). I noticed that if the hat is loose but not too loose, I forget about it on my head which is a good thing. The tighter ones seem to "remind me" that it is there and I end up taking it off. They all lie in the definition of "it fits my head" but feel different.

So I came up with a grading system to designate on the sticky note on the hat box, lol to describe how the hat feels on my head. A "-1" means a little tight, where I may need to stretch it or good for when hair is short. That is, the hat stays with me with some noticeable pressure at all times on my forehead. A "0" means perfect fit where it does not feel like pressure on my forehead and when I nod/shake it stays with me. Lastly, a "+1" means that it is a little loose and moves slightly when I shake my head and it may need a hat sizer. Or good for when my hair is longer or I get sweaty.

Hopefully you all dont think I'm crazy at this point, but does anyone have a similar system of hat fit?

I don't think it's crazy, but I don't find it necessary. I can pretty much tell you how every hat I have fits without looking at it.

new2hats

A-List Customer
I'm also wondering if I am getting the wrong size. Since most of mine are +1, I wonder if I need to get a ton of hat sizers or am getting them too big...

I don't think it's crazy, but I don't find it necessary. I can pretty much tell you how every hat I have fits without looking at it.
Yes, and I know the ones that fit the best and feel the most comfortable. Those ones I keep most at the ready and the others I will dig out when I need a certain colour or look. I don't have any hats that are tight....they give me headaches and I don't care how great they may look if they are tight they are gone quickly.

Yes, and I know the ones that fit the best and feel the most comfortable. Those ones I keep most at the ready and the others I will dig out when I need a certain colour or look. I don't have any hats that are tight....they give me headaches and I don't care how great they may look if they are tight they are gone quickly.

That's a bingo. 90%of my hats are 7 1/4, but there are a few big 7 1/8 in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner