Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat sizing revisited

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My knowledgeable input is that tight hats drive me crazy, whereas loose hats can be dealt with by several easy methods such as adhesive sizing tape available from hat stores, or putting folded paper towels inside the sweat band. As a matter of fact, the sizing tape does double duty by better protecting the inside of the hat from sweat. The tape feels fine--foam on the oustide--and you forget about it quickly. By contrast, you can never forget about a tight hat that you're wearing. Also, tight hats interfere with thinking.

DNO

One Too Many
I'm a size 7 3/8 long oval which means I go with either a size 59 and give it a wee stretch or a size 60 and put a little padding in the sides.

CSG

Familiar Face
Hat sizing and vendor recommendation

I've found, like shoes, hat sizing is all over the place. One outfit's 7 1/2 is another's 7 3/8. All we have in my town are western clothing stores and while one sold a Stetson Open Road as well as a Seratelli LBJ only the Seratelli was available in a long oval which is what my head shape is. But neither hat in anything close to my size was in stock. I liked that Seratelli had not only a long oval option but an open crown for their Open Road style but it looks like those are tapered crowns.

I talked to a couple of mail order hatters (Morgan and Village hats) today and Morgan said they can change an Akubra hat to a long oval. I'm confused how that would work properly and what size I'd want to order. My head measures, inconsistently, 23 3/8 to about 23 5/8. This is with two different cloth tapes from my wife's sewing basket.

I'm looking for a straight crown, about 5 1/2" and a 2 1/2". I'd like it in a medium gray or light tan/silver belly color with a proper grosgrain ribbon in a tasteful offset color. I can't justify spending the money for a Fawcett, Penman, etc. So other than an open crown Akubra, Seratelli, or? but where I can get a proper shape so I'm getting a comfortable front to back fit without resorting to padding the sides, I'm stuck on who to talk to for the hat style I want.

Grateful for any suggestions for an under $200 hat.

bendingoak

Vendor
any way you go. have someone else take your measurements. They cane see 360 much better then you can. take a few 3-5. When you get a measurement you think could be it. tape the tape measurer together to that size. place it over your head. place your finger tip under the tape just in front of your ear. you should be able to slip the tip of your finger ( your nail part no more ). after doing this give the person this measurement. let them size you up. They will know their product better then anyone. Let them know that you are a long oval and they should be able to adjust it to fit better. not a custom fitted hat but should be good enough that you don't have to pad. good luck.

CSG

Familiar Face
Appreciate the suggestions coming from a guy who knows what he's talking about. I watched a couple of your videos earlier. My problem will likely be dealing with these online sellers, few of whom, I think, do more than sell. I'll take it slow.

Grateful for any suggestions for an under $200 hat.

I am a Long Oval, close to XLO. I have bought Akubra Campdrafts both blocked Long Oval & not.
New Akubras will form to your shape with wear, so don't worry about ordering Long Oval.
I have 2 Heritage Campdrafts & 4 Imperial ones plus a Fed4, a Bushman, a Riverina, a Dallas & a Cattleman. These hats come to your head shape with use & wear.

I have to "train" modern Stetsons because they are very round. Vintage LO Stetsons fit me just fine.
Resistols, although made at same factory, are more oval but are westerns, not fedoras these days.
HTH

CSG

Familiar Face
I don't find that "training" a hat to one's head is an acceptable alternative. I want my hats to fit correctly on first wearing.

CSG

Familiar Face
Not sure that's at all true based on past experience. But past experience had me in a store trying hats on. In this case, I've got to do it online.

From talking to DM and Delmonico, as well as reading a bit here, I think I might have pretty good luck with an Akubra Sydney. Just have to decide if I'm good with a 59 or 60 to start with. I understand this hat will conform better than, say, the Stylemaster. I could live with the brown Sydney as I'm mostly a khaki/olive drab/jeans kinda guy. As I've thought about it a bit more, while I love the look of what Cagney wore in my avatar photo, I'm a casual dresser who prefers the outdoor look. If you look at the fedoras guys wore in old Field and Stream and Outdoor life magazines that's pretty much the look I want. I've got some photos of my dad as a kid with his dad in the late 30's out in the field and my granddad has the perfect fedora. Sadly, they're all gone so no one to ask.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
It was great chatting with you this afternoon and helping you choose a new hat. I think you will have the most fun with the Sydney. I know I enjoy creasing my own hat. As I said on the phone it is always better to pad a large hat then it is to stretch a small hat. We can make your hat a Long Oval without a problem. No matter what you choose and who you buy from I hope you enjoy your new hat and it was a pleasure talking with you today.

Jeff
http://Delmonicohatter.com

CSG

Familiar Face
Thanks, Jeff, it was good visiting with you too. I just tried remeasuring myself and came up with 59.5 and 23.5 so unless the 7.5's run large, I guess that's the size to try. Just wish there were more colors to choose from. You'd have to think Akubra has a larger potential market here than at home and it's galling that there are fewer offerings here than in Australia.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
We don't buy from Akubra we have to go through a middle man and have to take what they bring in. That said we have been told that if we are willing to take a position on style that they do not bring in they will bring it in and and even make it exclusive to us. I don't know what that number is. Akubra and Biltmore seem to be the two factory hatters that are willing to work with the retailers.

Jeff
http://delmonicohatter.com

EggHead

Practically Family
We don't buy from Akubra we have to go through a middle man and have to take what they bring in. That said we have been told that if we are willing to take a position on style that they do not bring in they will bring it in and and even make it exclusive to us. I don't know what that number is. Akubra and Biltmore seem to be the two factory hatters that are willing to work with the retailers.

Jeff
http://delmonicohatter.com

Jeff, I think if your store can get an exclusive from Akubra for a Sydney that has a crown of around 5 3/4" and a 1.75" ribbon, that would be a winner.

bennyboyca

New in Town
Is there a way to make a fedora fit when it's 1 size too large?

I have seen a fedora that i'd really like to buy, the problem is, its a size too big, is there a way to make it fit?
Thanks,
Benny.

Cobden

Practically Family
Newspaper under the sweatband is the only thing I can think of. Not an elegant option, but it'll stop it falling off...

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Or you can wear it non-stop, and sweat profusely in it. Over tie, the sweatband will shrink, or try what the others have said, and put newspaper, paper towel, foam strips, etc behind the sweat to shrink it up a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner