Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Storage

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I just put a bunch of boxless hats I never wear into an open plastic storage bin that's now in the crawl space.

The rest now have some room to breathe.

If I can get over my lack of ability to get rid of anything I feel a sale coming on. But that's a big IF.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Greetings all: this works for me. Hat display on wheels, 7 rings of 5 for 35 hats total. Each ring rotates which helps. It’s about 5.5’ tall, @28” wide. Ebay about $60-63. Works lots better than i anticipated.
Be well. Bowen View attachment 100707
That's my main method of display/storage, too, Bowen.

i-8SQXdpd-X2.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Greetings all: this works for me. Hat display on wheels, 7 rings of 5 for 35 hats total. Each ring rotates which helps. It’s about 5.5’ tall, @28” wide. Ebay about $60-63. Works lots better than i anticipated.

@Bowen and Tukwila: I looked this up on ebay to get a better look at it. The inner crown of the hats seem to rest on the round wire support. Does this affect the shape of the crown at all, especially over time? I don't want the weight of the hat pushing out the creases.

And then, with more hats on top, the bottom one looks like it would lose its shape in short order.

s-l500.jpg

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@Bowen and Tukwila: I looked this up on ebay to get a better look at it. The inner crown of the hats seem to rest on the round wire support. Does this affect the shape of the crown at all, especially over time? I don't want the weight of the hat pushing out the creases.

And then, with more hats on top, the bottom one looks like it would lose its shape in short order.

View attachment 152964
yes, i try to put a stiff hat on the bottom or pad the wire ring so it doesn't mess with the crease on a soft felt hat

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 152964
Hey Scotty:
My experience is that yes, creases can get deformed simply by the weight of the hat. Mostly noticed with the thinner more moldable felts, which makes sense. The more you stack, the more they can deform. They kinda go open crown if they aren’t locked in creases.
Or....i’m just hard on them and don’t lock in creases.
Bowen

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
It seems like your hats are suffering from some serious leather jacket pollution.
And I want a close-up of the diplomas on the wall. [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I just commissioned a wider, taller, and deeper hat safe.

This one fits six hats per shelf, 11 shelves, three hats in front and three in back, for a total capacity of 66 hats.
The new one will fit 8 hats per shelf, 14 shelves, 4 hats in front and 4 in back, good for 112.

I keep them inside plastic bags with the name of the hat clearly written on an adhesive label, and in alphabetical order.

Amazingly, the cost of having a similar-sized wooden closet made is only about 20% cheaper, so I opted for metal, which will keep them safer.

As you can see from the overcrowding in my home office and in my bedroom, I needed a new safe. Ana the neat-freak kept complaining.
37075d0d15c1056313860d9af2332dd6.jpg
8f34db097b0e57e79282794330ac4287.jpg
5e8f3750953caa55fece8b4c347dd799.jpg

Last edited:

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Cool!! That’s how the DI’s stored their Smokeys.
Was thinkin...if you cut another hole in the bottom, it could be a portable Porta-potty that holds your “Last Dump” hat.
Don’t tell your neighbor, he might get sh***y.
B
Hahahahaha, Bowen. LOL!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hey Scotty:
My experience is that yes, creases can get deformed simply by the weight of the hat. Mostly noticed with the thinner more moldable felts, which makes sense. The more you stack, the more they can deform. They kinda go open crown if they aren’t locked in creases.
Or....i’m just hard on them and don’t lock in creases.
Bowen

Okay, thanks for the response. I guess I'll just keep the dozen, give or take, that I wear on a regular basis on the cabinet tops they currently sit on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21