Hat Storage

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Dixon, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Silhouette hats on the tree.[​IMG]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

BobHufford likes this.
  3. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

4. Most in boxes. Many on hat blocks or stretchers, some on stands, some on hooks and some on each other.

Some on whatever is handy.

CCDEAB95-176A-482B-A579-D299658950BA.jpeg

5. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Boxes would be great if I had them with the hats. Sadly, only two boxes. Both top hats.

Can you post photos of your hat storages?

6. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Best buck shot ever!! Well, maybe Yogi wearing Mr. Ranger’s hat would be smarter than the average bear! Sorry!
    B

7. Altiori

Altiori Familiar Face

D19A637B-3134-4907-BAD7-B65EF4D9AC00.jpeg This is indeed a situation that might easily qualify for a prenuptial codicil. I am blessed with a wife who is both understanding and organized. I have my hats—most of them—in the boxes you see on the photos. Most of the boxes I believe are from the Container Store or BB&Beyond and have visible plastic openings. These see through openings are excellent for seeing the hat and for organizing by style or material. Other hats I’ve kept in their original boxes from VS, Optimo, DelMonico, Worth and Worth and JJ etc. My longsuffering wife has yet to tell me I have too many hats. She has pointed out, on occasion, that I have only one head; which seems to be getting pointier with each passing year.

8. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Thanks for sharing, Altiori. That looks like a great way of storing hats.

Congratulations on your understanding wife btw.

Altiori likes this.
  9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have all my hats (all 48) in boxes except for the one I pull out to wear and I tend to wear it for a few days....annoying to my wife but....I just toss on an unused table when not on my head. We have a forced air furnace that creates a fair bit of ambient dust in the house. If I stored the hats open on shelving or hat racks the brushing would be continual. I buy boxes at Michaels craft store and cut out cardboard ovals that I tape inside the boxes so I can store the hats crown downward.

10. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Interesting, Belfastboy. Can you show photos?

Héctor Fernández likes this.
  11. Jel

Jel New in Town

This is how I store my hats which serves as a hat travel bag
    Bought from https://amzn.to/2A3myZ0

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    hatsRme, Ross Young, Rmccamey and 2 others like this.
  12. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Interesting bag. Interesting idea. I am curious as to how and what circumstances you find the bag would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Storage for my many dozen hats would pose a challenge as to where to store the many dozen cases with hats inside. ;):D

Eric -

13. Jel

Jel New in Town

I bought my hats in Italy and found it cumbersome in airport checks and during flights. So I started searching for a hat bag that will double as a storage. I thought of buying a box with inserts but from what I can see on the previous posts it'll only fit max 2 hats per box so I might as well buy a hat bag. Next time I travel with my hat I can hand carry it while being protected. I can put the bag in overhead compartment.

14. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I just wear mine on the plane. Sometimes I even wear one on top of the other, if I am beinging hats over from Texas.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

15. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Thanks for the post. I now better understand your use of the hat bag. I was not clearly understanding how the bag was "storage" as my context was how to store your entire hat collection.

The hat bag does answer the challenge of air travel with several hats. Like Dr. Max, I wear my hat during air travel. While I have only traveled with one hat, my tactic has been to have a protective clear plastic bag in my jacket pocket to put the hat into when going thru screening and to have ready for protecting the hat when put into my lap during the flight. On several occasions flight attendants have volunteered to safely store my hat and returned it prior to landing. My hats have suffered no malfeasance during many flights.

Best, Eric -

16. Jel

Jel New in Town

Short flights no problem. Longer flights like 7 to 15 hrs, napping with a hat on is not ideal since it will crush the brim behind the neck. Tried putting it in my knees but it falls when I'm sleeping or gets crushed when the seat in front of me decides to recline. Tried placing them in seat tray as well until the meal comes.

17. Jel

Jel New in Town

Good tip. Yeah flight attendants have storage for suits, wedding dresses, etc however not guaranteed. Now my suit goes with my garment bag duffel.

Short Balding Guy likes this.
  18. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

Regardless of length of the flight, the 30 seconds going thru the xray machine have been the most brutal for my hats. Stupid agents cramming them into the bins or dropping other carry on items on top of them. At least on the plane you have some control. Like Eric mentioned, a plastic bag works well. I usually put my hat on the floor just beneath my knees when I'm napping.

19. Jel

Jel New in Town

Almost exactly what I did initially but didn't have a plastic bag so I used my hanky

hatsRme and Rmccamey like this.