Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Storage

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Storage of hats...a difficult matter. Hats, especially if you have more than a few, take up a lot of room, and because of the ever present (imaginary or otherwise) threat from moths, cannot be just kept on a hatrack. How do I keep my hats?

Well, it ain't pretty: they're all over the place. In the (enclosed) veranda, under a desk, in our bedroom, stashed away in several wardrobes, wherever there is some room for one or more of these boxes.

Most are in fact kept in various vintage travel hatcases I bought on eBay: Samsonite, most of them, American Tourister, and Imperial being some of the brands. The advantage is that these type of travel cases are not only reasonably "pretty" to look at, they're also very solid, and have a rubber or synthetic type (sometimes aluminum) closure system which, I believe, keeps any kind of insects out of the box. Because these cases do not have a proper support inside, I used some I had as a model to make made-to-fit supports. Mostly, hat supports consist of two elements: the first a vaguely circular or elliptical flat section of stiff cardboard, sporting a more or less circular hole in the middle, which hole is traversed by a (more or less) cylindrical tube of a certain height. This "tube" is easily made from a section of cardboard, stapled together (usually one side has a somewhat larger diameter than the other side of that tube), anyway...duck tape does wonders in assembling this item. It's no rocket science at all and such supports can be made to be perfectly fitting...

Then I have some cardboard boxes, such as one I'm very proud of, from "Optimo" (Chicago), then some "restored" old Stetson box, my battered original "Stetson 100" box, and then some awful plain cardboard things from Justin and other "modern day" (western) hat factories.

I strongly recommend those vintage Samsonites, though. They're not really cheap, but they're perfect for the purpose!

Pablo

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Hi guys, I have the same problem sometimes, that's what I do when I get a Hatbox without
Inlay.
a old German Wegener Hatbox with Inlay

hatbox.jpg

hatbox1.jpg

hatbox2.jpg

hatbox3.jpg

I take a strip of cardboard, cut him and glue him or tape it together at the correct length

hatbox4.jpg

hatbox6.jpg

then i glue him into the Box.

hatbox7.jpg

you can make different stripes for big or small Hats, high Crown, low Crown:D

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi guys, I have the same problem sometimes, that's what I do when I get a Hatbox without
Inlay.
a old German Wegener Hatbox with Inlay

hatbox.jpg

hatbox1.jpg

hatbox2.jpg

hatbox3.jpg

I take a strip of cardboard, cut him and glue him or tape it together at the correct length

hatbox4.jpg

hatbox6.jpg

then i glue him into the Box.

hatbox7.jpg

you can make different stripes for big or small Hats, high Crown, low Crown:D
Very well done, thank you!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Storage of hats...a difficult matter. Hats, especially if you have more than a few, take up a lot of room, and because of the ever present (imaginary or otherwise) threat from moths, cannot be just kept on a hatrack. How do I keep my hats?

Well, it ain't pretty: they're all over the place. In the (enclosed) veranda, under a desk, in our bedroom, stashed away in several wardrobes, wherever there is some room for one or more of these boxes.

Most are in fact kept in various vintage travel hatcases I bought on eBay: Samsonite, most of them, American Tourister, and Imperial being some of the brands. The advantage is that these type of travel cases are not only reasonably "pretty" to look at, they're also very solid, and have a rubber or synthetic type (sometimes aluminum) closure system which, I believe, keeps any kind of insects out of the box. Because these cases do not have a proper support inside, I used some I had as a model to make made-to-fit supports. Mostly, hat supports consist of two elements: the first a vaguely circular or elliptical flat section of stiff cardboard, sporting a more or less circular hole in the middle, which hole is traversed by a (more or less) cylindrical tube of a certain height. This "tube" is easily made from a section of cardboard, stapled together (usually one side has a somewhat larger diameter than the other side of that tube), anyway...duck tape does wonders in assembling this item. It's no rocket science at all and such supports can be made to be perfectly fitting...

Then I have some cardboard boxes, such as one I'm very proud of, from "Optimo" (Chicago), then some "restored" old Stetson box, my battered original "Stetson 100" box, and then some awful plain cardboard things from Justin and other "modern day" (western) hat factories.

I strongly recommend those vintage Samsonites, though. They're not really cheap, but they're perfect for the purpose!

Pablo
Yes that is perhaps a great suggestion. Sort of hard to find (for me at least). I have been wanting to actually build/construct a hat case for both storage and transport, something similar to the luggage style but totally custom looking and very eye appealing, light weight yet strong enough to be jounced around. When I finish one, I will probably post a few pictures to allow anyone to view how it looks and offer a custom made for anyone that may desire to own one.

job

One Too Many
I recently posted this before but it works here also. I am displaying a few and keeping some boxed up for all the reasons given in this thread. I use Command Hooks. No holes, removable, etc.
th_hathooks001-1-1.jpg
th_hathooks004-1.jpg
th_images25.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I recently posted this before but it works here also. I am displaying a few and keeping some boxed up for all the reasons given in this thread. I use Command Hooks. No holes, removable, etc.
th_hathooks001-1-1.jpg
th_hathooks004-1.jpg
th_images25.jpg
Wow that is a really sharp way to hang a hat. I have often wondered if leaving a hat "out" like that being on a hat hook, stand, or display, could possible afford the moths to have a feast? That one worry is a main reason that I always put a hat in the box after wearing it.

When I view some of the post from those that have so many nice hats on shelves, I am concerned the hats may come under attack by pests, and have wondered if that happens and how to avoid it?

My sense of felt eating insects is that they prefer peaceful, quiet and dark places in which to munch. The only moth damage I've experienced in my home was to a vintage cashmere coat that spent most of its life in a dark upstairs closet. Keeping your hats out in daylight and handling them regularly should help to discourage moth attack. At least I think so. We certainly see a fair share of moth damage on ebay hats that were stored in hat boxes.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I live near an airport, and you should see those "Tiger Moths": classic eat-my-hat beaters! ;-)
Well here where I live I have the moths issues almost all year round. I am always sitting around close to a flyswatter to handle "control" on them.

When I see the wonderful display of hats being shown here by those that have posted the pictures of their hat collection and marvel at how many they have and am actually in awe from what they have, it then brings me to wonder about moths or bugs! I would about die if I had the hats that are shown on this thread and have them come under attack from any insects.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My sense of felt eating insects is that they prefer peaceful, quiet and dark places in which to munch. The only moth damage I've experienced in my home was to a vintage cashmere coat that spent most of its life in a dark upstairs closet. Keeping your hats out in daylight and handling them regularly should help to discourage moth attack. At least I think so. We certainly see a fair share of moth damage on ebay hats that were stored in hat boxes.
Oh lord, thank you for that information. Really I have been so concerned with the possibility of having any of my hats get munched on. By the way, I hope you know from what I have posted in regards to your fine collection that I both admire your hats and would not ever make a comment to be directed towards you that should be taken in a negative viewpoint.

I really do appreciate what I have learned and continue to learn from the more "seasoned" members of the FL. And for what hats you own, all I can say, is WOW, do I wish I had them!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I also feel that most moth eaten hats, fabrics are the ones that have been in storage.
That may be so true for what some people do own. I do have one hat that was purchased by me in the year 1999, and is a Bailey hat. To date it is the only hat I have ever had a problem with being nibbled on, and it was left on a dresser top for about 4 months out in the open, but at my up north home while I was residing at my place down state.

Gromulus

Practically Family
While I was out of town last week, my wife made me an anniversary gift... kind of an "us" present. I'd been looking to find some way of collecting my hats in one place - also keeping them out in view so I can see (remember) what I have and encourage a varied wearing rotation.

We have a spare bedroom that Donna uses as a sewing room and library for her costume design resource books. Years ago we had two shelving units in there but after a while sold one at a yard sale. Donna ran into the fellow that had bought the shelves years before and asked if he was still using them. She wound up buying them back and setting them up in the sewing room for my hats. She put a ribbon on it and surprised me on my return home, adding a small sewing box for my hat repair tools and brushes. It was a great present. For you young guys, we all reach a point in life where empty space (physical and mental) is worth it's weight in gold.

This past weekend I spent a little time getting organized. I wanted to get most of the hats out of boxes because I tend to forget what's in them. I left in boxes only the rare and fragile hats and the few where the box is clearly original. Donna got me some 1/2 foam, which I cut and stapled to make a support ring. It helps shoulder the weight of the stacked hats and protect the ribbons from damage.

It's a work in progress. There are still some additional hats scattered around the house. And I need to do a better job storing the summer straws. But now I can see what I have and decide what to wear a little better. Did I mention that I love my wife?

storage1.jpg

storage2.jpg

Very nice (and gorgeous) collection Alan.

Whan I showed these pics to my wife she got a stern look on her face and said "don't even think about it". I guess after all the years of collecting firearms, knives, and flashlights she may have reached her limit - which now becomes my limit.

Maybe someday when all the girls graduate and move out and more space is available.

Very nice collection, enjoy in good health!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
While I was out of town last week, my wife made me an anniversary gift... kind of an "us" present. I'd been looking to find some way of collecting my hats in one place - also keeping them out in view so I can see (remember) what I have and encourage a varied wearing rotation.

We have a spare bedroom that Donna uses as a sewing room and library for her costume design resource books. Years ago we had two shelving units in there but after a while sold one at a yard sale. Donna ran into the fellow that had bought the shelves years before and asked if he was still using them. She wound up buying them back and setting them up in the sewing room for my hats. She put a ribbon on it and surprised me on my return home, adding a small sewing box for my hat repair tools and brushes. It was a great present. For you young guys, we all reach a point in life where empty space (physical and mental) is worth it's weight in gold.

This past weekend I spent a little time getting organized. I wanted to get most of the hats out of boxes because I tend to forget what's in them. I left in boxes only the rare and fragile hats and the few where the box is clearly original. Donna got me some 1/2 foam, which I cut and stapled to make a support ring. It helps shoulder the weight of the stacked hats and protect the ribbons from damage.

It's a work in progress. There are still some additional hats scattered around the house. And I need to do a better job storing the summer straws. But now I can see what I have and decide what to wear a little better. Did I mention that I love my wife?

storage1.jpg

storage2.jpg

Thats a marvelous collection of Hats, and a great Idea with the foam alan

sal

One of the Regulars
Storing hats --Hat Racks?

How do you all store your hats?
I have been looking around and see hat racks which range from the cheap wire to all wood and the associated cost with them.As I read it seems that the folks here have many hats and it seems that it could conceivably cost a small fortune to store your hats.
What does everyone do?
I currently have three, all not very expensive by some here and just have them on a bookshelf. Am I ruining my hats?

thanks in advance for your thoughts / insight

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
How do you all store your hats?
I have been looking around and see hat racks which range from the cheap wire to all wood and the associated cost with them.As I read it seems that the folks here have many hats and it seems that it could conceivably cost a small fortune to store your hats.
What does everyone do?
I currently have three, all not very expensive by some here and just have them on a bookshelf. Am I ruining my hats?

thanks in advance for your thoughts / insight
I have most of mine in boxes under beds and on shelves in closets. Some of the vintage boxes my wife allows to be displayed in various parts of the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112