Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Storage

EggHead

Practically Family
I installed hat hangers ($2) for each hat in my closet. A few just lie on top shelves with brims up.
For the 6 hats that I use on a constant basis.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
How do you all store your hats?
I have been looking around and see hat racks which range from the cheap wire to all wood and the associated cost with them.As I read it seems that the folks here have many hats and it seems that it could conceivably cost a small fortune to store your hats.
What does everyone do?
I currently have three, all not very expensive by some here and just have them on a bookshelf. Am I ruining my hats?

thanks in advance for your thoughts / insight

I have an old red oak Victorian hall tree that I restored and it has 6 cast metal hat hooks on it and a top shelf across the top of the mirror that I put my hats on. It's next to my front door so it's handy for going out and when I come in! I store my Panama's in hat boxes during felt season and put the felts in the boxes and the Panama's on the rack in the spring! You can pick up these hall trees for reasonable cost and they work well and look good (unless you are a chrome and glass afficionado, furniture wise) with most decors. Get to some"junktique" shops and see what you can find :)

masiaka

Familiar Face
I have an old gumball machine that I rest my felt hat on, my baseball and flat caps are stored on a hat hanger in my closet, and my panama hat is stored brim up on a shelf in my closet.
stands.jpg

EggHead

Practically Family
Forgot to mention, at work we have these 1 gallon plastic water bottles for emergencies, like earthquakes. Well, I don't let one of them sit idle.

mattface

Practically Family
My collection recently balooned from one felt and one panama to 5 felts and 2 panamas, and I suspect the next spring will see more straws. In the meantime I'm finding workspace for my new etsy shop eating up a lot of the available counter space, and adding to the general clutter and chaos of my apartment. I needed something to deal with the depositing of jackets, hats and keys when i come in the door as I'm always losing my keys, piling jackets on chairs, and scattering hats on any available counter space. I may need to do something like what Alan did to create easy access hat storage, but at least this solution gives me room for a few hats and several jackets by the door, and I added key hooks, so it becomes an all in one solution for my outdoor/indoor transition needs.

New Ikea hat rack! by mattface, on Flickr

Gromulus

Practically Family
My meager collection (approx. 22 hats) line the top shelf of my closet, one shelf in my wife's closet, and on top of my highboy in our bedroom - and I am maxed out in those areas.

I woud like to get a nice wood (vintage) coat amd hat tree like Monbla decribes for our foyer.

mattface

Practically Family
Matt, do you worry about kitchen odors getting absorbed by your hats?

No, not really, I live in a pretty small apartment, the kitchen is adjacent to the loving room, and the front hall, but wool coats and felt hats do not seem particularly inclined to absorb food odors. I'd be more worried about my hats absorbing sweat odors, but fur hats aren't especially inclined to do that like cotton or straw do. Actually one thing I love about fur felt hats is they always smell distinctly like fur felt hats.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Storage of hats is challenging. Over the coming winter holiday, I am planning to add to my hat storage and complete safe "garaging" of my hats.

IMG8351-L.jpg

Since starting to wear felt hats 10 months ago, I added a storage shelf on 2 walls of my dressing room. The smaller 6" width shelves work well for me. The 2 walls of shelves, as folks on this forum can share the angst, are full. With 10 months of wearing hat experience, I can now see that I do not desire an infinite number of hats/styles and colors. Rather I am more narrow in my likes/dis-likes. That said, I NEED MORE STORAGE SPACE.

Here is another pic of one of the existing corners of shelving:

IMG8349-L.jpg

My wife is going to assist me in making some foam spacers to stand on the hat belows brim and support the hat above later this month. I am stealing this notion frm the pics that Alan showed of his hat racks gifted to him by his wife. Great idea- just a GREAT IDEA! Foam purchased and waiting the annointed time.

The kitchen wrap covering the top of each hat work to protect from the larger dust particles and marks from the hat stored on top. I have ordered a bunch of the "hat covers" that are kitchen wrap with a bulge for the crown. I suspect with the covers each hat should be safely garaged. Below is a closer shot of the wrap at work.

IMG8353-L.jpg

Storage way above my head on shelves, near the ceiling, works well for short balding me.

Best wishes, Eric -

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
Storage of hats is challenging. Over the coming winter holiday, I am planning to add to my hat storage and complete safe "garaging" of my hats.

Since starting to wear felt hats 10 months ago, I added a storage shelf on 2 walls of my dressing room. The smaller 6" width shelves work well for me. The 2 walls of shelves, as folks on this forum can share the angst, are full. With 10 months of wearing hat experience, I can now see that I do not desire an infinite number of hats/styles and colors. Rather I am more narrow in my likes/dis-likes. That said, I NEED MORE STORAGE SPACE.

Here is another pic of one of the existing corners of shelving:

My wife is going to assist me in making some foam spacers to stand on the hat belows brim and support the hat above later this month. I am stealing this notion frm the pics that Alan showed of his hat racks gifted to him by his wife. Great idea- just a GREAT IDEA! Foam purchased and waiting the annointed time.

The kitchen wrap covering the top of each hat work to protect from the larger dust particles and marks from the hat stored on top. I have ordered a bunch of the "hat covers" that are kitchen wrap with a bulge for the crown. I suspect with the covers each hat should be safely garaged. Below is a closer shot of the wrap at work.

IMG8353-L.jpg

Storage way above my head on shelves, near the ceiling, works well for short balding me.

Best wishes, Eric -

Eric, you don't mention how this whole area is safe-guarded from moths. Is it contained/sealed and do you roll out the moth balls? I had a moth (or carpet beetle) disaster with an antique bison fur coat years ago in my big storage closet, and have never trusted it since.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
My local Wal-Mart is blowing out these storage cubes at $10.00/pkg. Each box contains 16 panels. I found them in the aisle that has closet systems, shoe racks and the like.

6990541217_a95e01622b_z.jpg

I put together this configuration, and because there are many shared panels it took less than 3 boxes to make it. I just have it sitting on an old TV stand, but you could anchor it to a wall quite easily; the panels are made of a lightweight plastic film. Lousy for their intended purpose but perfect for hats!

6844417320_b87ab510e2_z.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Eric, you don't mention how this whole area is safe-guarded from moths. Is it contained/sealed and do you roll out the moth balls? I had a moth (or carpet beetle) disaster with an antique bison fur coat years ago in my big storage closet, and have never trusted it since.

Sir; Our property is on a lake and borders a horse stable. This necessitates having a periodic pest control firm contracted for pests (fur and insect). My wife is a semi-retired DVM and she views this as a necessity. As such, it happens monthly. The treatments inside and outside should deter the insect problems. Nothing is absolute.

I also believe that because I am a hat wearer and rotate thru my hats frequently, the bugs probably blow away in the winds during my jaunts outside. My wife asks that I quarantine any new hat and clean or treat so I do not introduce any pests to the house. This prevention, is not a hardship at all.

I hope that answers your query. Each hat wearer storage issues / situation is different.

Best, Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto