Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat stores in Austin, TX?

rlandrews3rd

New in Town
OK, I decided to look for a fedora or similar style hat. I've been in Austin forever, but never seen a hat store. Lots of caps, but few hats. I found a nice crushable in REI, but it's only in brown. I'd prefer black or gray, as those would be colors that fit into my usual wardrobe. I'm looking for a lower crown than the Indy hats, with about a 2 1/2" brim. I've seen lots online, but I'd like to see them and fit them before buying. Any ideas? Thanks!

jpdesign

Vendor
I have mentioned before that I could come down to Austin in order to measure people, and show samples. I am nop to a point where it is time to set that up. I guess I should put that on the events page, huh.

Jimmy

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
There are no real hat shops in Austin, just small stores selling lots of funky wool fedoras and homburgs, and there are certainly no full-service hatters. Texas Hatters, in Lockhart make very nice westerns, but I'm not sure if they fool with dress hats. There's an old guy in a dry cleaner's shop over on the east side of Austin who claims he's a hat expert, but he once turned a nice old Open Road of mine into a shrunken football helmet, and once was enough for me.

The only recourse here is either mail-order or antique malls. Seems like it would be a good business proposition for a bored Dellionaire.

majormoore

Vendor
Call Jimmy and set up a time to meet him at his shop, drive up there and pick out the blank, the trimmings, all the details you want in a hat, and let him make the hat of your dreams, he is a hatter and can make it.
Mike

rlandrews3rd

New in Town
Not being a Dellionaire, and not wanting to take the better part of a day to drive to and from Granbury (about 4 hrs each way) I actually found a decent looking, inexpensive, crushable hat at Banana Bay, in Austin. Not a place in which I would have expected to find the hat, but it will work for now. If I like it and decide to upgrade, then it would be worth the drive to Grabury. Mr Pierce's hats look very nice!

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
No decent hat stores in Austin, TX

Well, Austin has always been a little different than the rest of the state. We refer to ourselves, sometimes derisively, as "the people's republic of Austin." Perhaps due to the University of Texas historically being a big part of the town, Austin has been somewhat more laid back and casual than Dallas or even Houston. A t-shirt and sandals is accepted business attire at many places.

So, there are no full-service hat stores in Austin. There's a store on 6th Street in the middle of the entertainment district, called "the Hat Box" (www.hatbox.com) that sells entry-level fur felt hats and wool felts, but they probably couldn't clean or re-block a hat if you needed that.

I used to frequent Texas Hatters (www.texashatters.com) when they were on South Lamar in Austin, and after they moved to south I-35 in Buda, but I haven't been there since they moved to Lockhart. A visit to Texas Hatters would be the perfect excuse to go get some of the world's best BBQ at Kreuz' Market in Lockhart.

Other than Texas Hatters, I guess the closest full-service hat store would be Paris Hatters in downtown San Antonio (www.parishatters.com), about 80 miles south of Austin.

Lefty W.

kiltie

Practically Family
Paris Hatter

I've posted this a coupla other places on this site, but don't let the Paris website be your only guide to that shop. The site is a poor reflection of the storefront.
:eek:fftopic:
Austinites: San Antonio has it's own catch-phrase bumper sticker to counter the "Keep Austin Wierd" stickers. It says "Keep San Antonio Lame" lol lol lol But hey, we got a hat shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy