Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat stores in Richmond, VA?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Hi everybody. Next weekend, my dad and I are going down to Richmond, VA to shoot the national folk festival.

Does anybody know of any good vintage stores or hat shops in Winchester?

Anything else I shouldn't miss?

Barry

Practically Family
Drive further south to Norfolk.

Go to Stark and Legum (open since 1924!).

Bypass the Stacy Adams shoes and the "zoot suits."

Ask if you can go upstairs to view the hatting equipment. ;)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't think I'm going to have enough time to do that. We're shooting the festival almost around the clock.

Barry

Practically Family
If you ever get down to Norfolk go check out that store. I went down there to pick up some felt stiffner. They sent me upstairs to talk to the boss. I asked if he still blocked and cleaned hats and then he took me on a tour of the facilities. I wasn't up there very long, but man, was it cool! I think they've been in the present location since 1949 but they've been open for business since 1924.

Barry

squid

One of the Regulars
Barry said:
If you ever get down to Norfolk go check out that store. I went down there to pick up some felt stiffner. They sent me upstairs to talk to the boss. I asked if he still blocked and cleaned hats and then he took me on a tour of the facilities. I wasn't up there very long, but man, was it cool! I think they've been in the present location since 1949 but they've been open for business since 1924.

Barry

Where is that shop at? Maybe I'll go back to Norfolk one day.

Dinerman,
While it's not a shop you could go to the Museum of the Confederacy to see hats worn by famous people. I've been drawn to the hats there even before I started wearing anything other than baseball caps.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Vintage in Richmond...

When visiting Richmond for a wedding last year (I live in Charlotte), I found an absolutely terrific Knox Twenty for $34 at Halcyon in Carytown. I'm wearing it in my avatar. A closer look:

detail

There are several vintage places within a few blocks of Halcyon. Here's a partial list of what you can find in Carytown and other places:

# Halcyon Vintage Clothing, 117 N. Robinson Street (804) 358-1311
# Bygones, 2916 W. Cary St, (804) 353-1919
# Galaxie, 409 Strawberry St., (804) 278-9411
# Luxor, 3001 W. Cary St, (804) 359-6789
# Out of the Closet, 2001 W. Main St, (804) 355-7909
# FanTastic Thrift,1914 W. Main St, (804) 358-7164
# Clothes Rack, 2618 W. Cary St, (804) 358-4693
# Max Griffin Antiques and Jewelry 3459 W. Cary St. (804) 422-3461
# Exile 822 W. Grace Street
# Diversity Thrift 1729 W. Cary St.

Good luck.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Thanks. I woun't be able to make it to all of them, but I'll try to make it to al least a few. You know what kind of neighborhood these places are in? safe for a kid to walk in alone? I just know I'll probably hit these places while ducking out of a concert.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Very safe...

Carytown has an almost touristy feel, with lots of interesting shops and dining places. And it's very close to the university, so there are lots of students around. Almost everything of note is on Cary Street and within one block either side intersecting.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Okay. Last year, we just stayed by the grounds of the festival. Thousands of people. Crazyness. Amazing bands. Even cooler is that I get to go backstage with all these guys. When we did venture out into town, it looked pretty down, but that was probably just the little section we were in.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
well- I made it to bygones. They had some great suits- but nothing in my size. I picked up an amazing Borsalino- pics to follow.
The other hats they had were huge.
a 7-5/8 and a 7-1/2. I couldn't believe it.

Barry

Practically Family
That is a great hat and it looks excellent on you! Good find! Next time I head down to the beach I'll have to stop there.

Barry

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
James-
They had a grey homburg and a fedora. I wasn't thinking of other people being interested, or I'd have taken pictures. One had a ventilated sweatband. I can't remember which one though.

Phone: (804) 353-1919
E-Mail: info@bygonesvintage.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy