Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
@Eric SBG, I know you try to eat healthy & stay away from red meat but the next time you charcoal grill a good strip, ribeye or porterhouse steak, try that Woodford Reserve again. Or a smoky Islay Single Malt Scotch. Excellent pairing with beef!

It was a great day for a Stetson One-hundred! And several American Brown Ales aged in Elijah Craig Bourbon casks at Granite City.

View attachment 186272

View attachment 186273

View attachment 186275

View attachment 186276

View attachment 186274

View attachment 186277

View attachment 186278

Jack; Excellent suggestion. Reading your post tonight has me adding red meat to my butcher shop order for Thursday. I agree I bet the Woodford would pair up well. Thursday evening would be a PERFECT time for a grilled piece of red meat.

I am home and exhausted from a long day. A Guinness Stout is being imbibed while sitting on the dock watching this evening stars. This post has been completed whilst sitting on a wool blanket on the dock. Ahhh, 59'f temp with light breeze is perfect for stars, dog and a stout beer.

i-4KzRJ7G-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

RossRYoung

Practically Family
@Eric SBG, I know you try to eat healthy & stay away from red meat but the next time you charcoal grill a good strip, ribeye or porterhouse steak, try that Woodford Reserve again. Or a smoky Islay Single Malt Scotch. Excellent pairing with beef!

It was a great day for a Stetson One-hundred! And several American Brown Ales aged in Elijah Craig Bourbon casks at Granite City.

View attachment 186272

View attachment 186273

View attachment 186275

View attachment 186276

View attachment 186274

View attachment 186277

View attachment 186278
Beauty, Jack!

The girls are up and down the east coast for the next week so it's just me, the hats and dogs. Last night I took the Dorer out to HH to check out a local brewery only a couple miles from home. Most of you here know I'm not a big craft beer guy but this one gets a lot of buzz and the food from the restaurant has gotten great reviews. Much better reviews than the scientific experiments being offered at Straight to Ale. (see Monkeynaut) I've tried to visit them in the past but early on they rented out the venue a lot on weekends.

Their house beer, and the only one offered at a HH price is the Cave City Lager. Described as an amber lager, the appearance seemed a bit darker than most I'm familiar with. Fashioned after a German Dunkel (their words, not mine), it starts off with a bit of malty aroma with a slight head with a nice clean, refreshing taste. The aftertaste is a bit hoppy and not unpleasant. Some reviews say it's a perfect compliment to a hot summer day. Or a hot Fall one as it was 96* outdoors when I sat down at the bar. Very enjoyable. I'll be back for more.

The brewery also distills their own spirits as you can see on the menu board and they offer a wide variety of cocktails made with them. I'm not a cocktail guy but I will sample the moonshine next visit.

A lot of reviews of the Cave City Lager say that it pairs well with a lot of different foods. It paired well with the burger and fries. What you can't see under the locally made potato bun is the 10 oz. of locally sourced, grass fed beef, bacon, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, onion, spicy verde salsa and all topped with a fried egg. It paired well with all of those, including what little I ate of the fries. The house made ketchup was very tasty.

http://www.oldblackbear.com/

IMG_E1088[1].JPG
IMG_E1089[1].JPG
OYDIE6249[1].JPG

The girls are up and down the east coast for the next week so it's just me, the hats and dogs. Last night I took the Dorer out to HH to check out a local brewery only a couple miles from home. Most of you here know I'm not a big craft beer guy but this one gets a lot of buzz and the food from the restaurant has gotten great reviews. Much better reviews than the scientific experiments being offered at Straight to Ale. (see Monkeynaut) I've tried to visit them in the past but early on they rented out the venue a lot on weekends.

Their house beer, and the only one offered at a HH price is the Cave City Lager. Described as an amber lager, the appearance seemed a bit darker than most I'm familiar with. Fashioned after a German Dunkel (their words, not mine), it starts off with a bit of malty aroma with a slight head with a nice clean, refreshing taste. The aftertaste is a bit hoppy and not unpleasant. Some reviews say it's a perfect compliment to a hot summer day. Or a hot Fall one as it was 96* outdoors when I sat down at the bar. Very enjoyable. I'll be back for more.

The brewery also distills their own spirits as you can see on the menu board and they offer a wide variety of cocktails made with them. I'm not a cocktail guy but I will sample the moonshine next visit.

A lot of reviews of the Cave City Lager say that it pairs well with a lot of different foods. It paired well with the burger and fries. What you can't see under the locally made potato bun is the 10 oz. of locally sourced, grass fed beef, bacon, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, onion, spicy verde salsa and all topped with a fried egg. It paired well with all of those, including what little I ate of the fries. The house made ketchup was very tasty.

http://www.oldblackbear.com/

View attachment 186572 View attachment 186573 View attachment 186574
Looking at the "window" I'll bet the Rum Row Imperial Amber (9% ABV), the Rockledge IPA (7%) & the Roaming Bear Porter (5.5%) could be interesting also. And I'll bet that burger beats BK's new plant mulch Increda Whopper anyway!

Looking at the "window" I'll bet the Rum Row Imperial Amber (9% ABV), the Rockledge IPA (7%) & the Roaming Bear Porter (5.5%) could be interesting also. And I'll bet that burger beats BK's new plant mulch Increda Whopper anyway!

Those are the ones I hope to sample, HJ. No local wheat beer reviews will be forthcoming. That burger beats just about any I've had in a long time.

SIL & grandson were in town for only a couple of days, so I took the little man out for his first real BBQ. Unfortunately I probably won't be around when he drinks his first beer, either legal or illegal. Thinking about young hands & BBQ I decided to wear an Akubra TFCD. As my good fortune would have it, no hats were harmed in this little adventure.

IMG_5856.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

PS: I keep forgetting to wet the ribbon to smooth it out. And I'm not sure where the little twig came from. Didn't even notice it at the time.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
SIL & grandson were in town for only a couple of days, so I took the little man out for his first real BBQ. Unfortunately I probably won't be around when he drinks his first beer, either legal or illegal. Thinking about young hands & BBQ I decided to wear an Akubra TFCD. As my good fortune would have it, no hats were harmed in this little adventure.

PS: I keep forgetting to wet the ribbon to smooth it out. And I'm not sure where the little twig came from. Didn't even notice it at the time.

Sister-In-Law is responsible for enforcing good BBQ ethics. Influence the influencer I say. Excellent influence by the pics.

You are bold man. I know my limits. BBQ for me means no hats/caps within many feet. If I go into the restaurant with BBQ intended the hat/cap stay in the vehicle. One accident with a silverbelly Stetson meant learning how to clean a light hued hat - took forever to clean (with Oxiclean and water).

The meal looks delicious. My yogurt and coffee breakfast may not be enough.

Eric -

You are bold man. I know my limits. BBQ for me means no hats/caps within many feet. If I go into the restaurant with BBQ intended the hat/cap stay in the vehicle.
I like my hats to fit where I never have to reach up & adjust it. I don't ever have to reposition it on my head, move it back or bring it forward. Not too tight but not loose either. Once I put it on except for taking a pic I don't touch it again until it comes off. And whenever I put it down on a surface for a pic I try to make sure the surface is clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana