Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Fourman110

One of the Regulars
My latest WDH and I distanced at Single Speed Brewing.
20200822_131209_copy_774x774.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Sir the other thread folks will need to provide some expertise to your question. My whiskey shelf only has none of those whiskeys. I do have some Four Roses Sngle Cask that is a good tasting American styled whiskey. In your neighborhood I really enjoy Hibiki 12 and Yamazaki 12 whiskeys. They are, IMO, terrific sipping whiskeys.

i-Qs8zGt2-M.jpg

The heat and humidity have me enjoying a brunch with a Surley Supreme IPA.

i-VczB4bT-M.jpg

I have a few more hours with my chainsaw and axe after brunch so I am "slowly enjoying" my food/beverage.

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
Sir the other thread folks will need to provide some expertise to your question. My whiskey shelf only has none of those whiskeys. I do have some Four Roses Sngle Cask that is a good tasting American styled whiskey. In your neighborhood I really enjoy Hibiki 12 and Yamazaki 12 whiskeys. They are, IMO, terrific sipping whiskeys.

i-Qs8zGt2-M.jpg

The heat and humidity have me enjoying a brunch with a Surley Supreme IPA.

i-VczB4bT-M.jpg

I have a few more hours with my chainsaw and axe after brunch so I am "slowly enjoying" my food/beverage.

Cheers, Eric -

I have a little bit of my Hibiki 17 remaining - My wife & I have been slowly savouring this bottle for over 2 years now. It is spectacular. I had always assumed it was a malt whisky, but google tells me it is a blend of malt and grain.
I was also interested to see that Maker’s Mark and Early Times are both spelt whisky - without the “e”. I had always thought American whiskeys all had the “e”. Not sure what the rule is now...no rules? Anarchy!?
C8A87785-617E-40AD-B499-70434158C26C.jpeg

20200823_174652.jpg

Wrapping up a summer day with JD and a lemonade chaser.

My mama was never a big drinker, but on the rare occasion she turned one up it was almost always Lynchburg lemonade.
I don't think too highly of Jack as a mixer, much prefer it as is, but the lemonade does make a nice washer downer on a warm afternoon, and it makes me think of my mom.

Hat is a vintage Resistol.

Are any of these likely to turn my head?
It's difficult to say without knowing how you plan to drink them? Neat? OTR? Cut or in a cocktail? If you want to stick with Bourbons I would recommend the Knob Creek. The blended Scotch, Monkey Shoulder is quite good too; one of the Single Malts used in the blend is Kinnenvie which is also used in Johnny Walker Black, Chivas Regal & Dimple Pinch. All are overwhelmingly popular and won't break the bank. There are other good ones on the shelf but the price goes up. Best to find what you like first before climbing that ladder.

I don't think too highly of Jack as a mixer,
LOL...Jack don't mix well! He don't even like to mingle much!
PS: Don't know if you have seen The Ballad of Buster Scruggs by the Coen Bros or not. There's a scene where Buster Scruggs goes into a saloon all dressed in white cowboy outfit. The saloon is crowded & he doesn't understand why everyone is so unfriendly to him. This great line comes from a stranger:

"You ain't no Outlaw & we don't drink with Tinhorns!"

Last edited:

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Jack and Jim are what they are. Popular, inexpensive, and don't offer anything special in the way of taste. Jack is technically a bourbon, but is in the Tennessee whiskey class because it is charcoal filtered. Jim is somewhat sweet.

Knob Creek is a Jim Beam product that I enjoy. It has a nice sweetness to it. I don't buy a lot of it though because it isn't economical for me.

Maker's Mark is a nice introduction to the wheated bourbons. I like it much more than Wild Turkey, which I personally am not a fan of at all. Just a personal preference.

Four Roses is a solid choice as well. The Yellow Label is their base level bourbon, while the small batch is a notch up. Both have a nice flavor profile to them. You really can't go wrong with either of them.

Evan Williams black label is a cheap well drink. I used to enjoy it while drinking on a budget, but after exposing myself to some better choices, it's not that good when going back to it.

Other than those, I don't have any experience with any of the others. I hope this helped some.

The Shoe

One Too Many
It's difficult to say without knowing how you plan to drink them? Neat? OTR? Cut or in a cocktail? If you want to stick with Bourbons I would recommend the Knob Creek. The blended Scotch, Monkey Shoulder is quite good too; one of the Single Malts used in the blend is Kinnenvie which is also used in Johnny Walker Black, Chivas Regal & Dimple Pinch. All are overwhelmingly popular and won't break the bank. There are other good ones on the shelf but the price goes up. Best to find what you like first before climbing that ladder.

LOL...Jack don't mix well! He don't even like to mingle much!
PS: Don't know if you have seen The Ballad of Buster Scruggs by the Coen Bros or not. There's a scene where Buster Scruggs goes into a saloon all dressed in white cowboy outfit. The saloon is crowded & he doesn't understand why everyone is so unfriendly to him. This great line comes from a stranger:

Jack and Jim are what they are. Popular, inexpensive, and don't offer anything special in the way of taste. Jack is technically a bourbon, but is in the Tennessee whiskey class because it is charcoal filtered. Jim is somewhat sweet.

Knob Creek is a Jim Beam product that I enjoy. It has a nice sweetness to it. I don't buy a lot of it though because it isn't economical for me.

Maker's Mark is a nice introduction to the wheated bourbons. I like it much more than Wild Turkey, which I personally am not a fan of at all. Just a personal preference.

Four Roses is a solid choice as well. The Yellow Label is their base level bourbon, while the small batch is a notch up. Both have a nice flavor profile to them. You really can't go wrong with either of them.

Evan Williams black label is a cheap well drink. I used to enjoy it while drinking on a budget, but after exposing myself to some better choices, it's not that good when going back to it.

Other than those, I don't have any experience with any of the others. I hope this helped some.

I drink my Scotch straight - I generally prefer single malts and especially Islay and Skye. I usually have a nice bottle of Lagavulin or Talisker sitting around the house for savouring once in a while, and a cheaper blended Scotch for quaffing.

I've just never come across an American whiskey that's made me sit up and go "Wow!".
Not sure if it's that I haven't found the right one or if it's just not for me.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I drink my Scotch straight - I generally prefer single malts and especially Islay and Skye. I usually have a nice bottle of Lagavulin or Talisker sitting around the house for savouring once in a while, and a cheaper blended Scotch for quaffing.

I've just never come across an American whiskey that's made me sit up and go "Wow!".
Not sure if it's that I haven't found the right one or if it's just not for me.
Angels Envy and Blanton's are some of the better tasting bourbons that I've tried, but they aren't necessarily cheap. There are others that are held in high regard such as Pappy Van Winkle and Whistle Pig, but I've never tried them because the cost of just a pour alone exceeds what you would pay for a bottle of most of what's on the shelves that you photographed.

quikrick

One Too Many

That first scene in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is priceless. Laughed my butt off.

View attachment 255859
Wrapping up a summer day with JD and a lemonade chaser.

My mama was never a big drinker, but on the rare occasion she turned one up it was almost always Lynchburg lemonade.
I don't think too highly of Jack as a mixer, much prefer it as is, but the lemonade does make a nice washer downer on a warm afternoon, and it makes me think of my mom.

Hat is a vintage Resistol.
Thanks

Hope you enjoy those cocktails, Cuz. It’s been awhile since Lynchburg Lemonade made its debut here in N, AL around 1980 by a local singer/lounge owner Tony Mason. You may remember JD came out with their own canned version of Lynchburg Lemonade. Mason claimed he owned the original recipe for the drink and sued JD for 13 million in 1987. He lost. I do remember having Lynchburg Lemonade in his bar before. They served them up in mason jars and like the man said, “if god had intended for me to drink from mason jars he’d have put grooves I’m my lips.”

The Shoe

One Too Many
Now that we know a bit more about you & what you like you will want to try one of the Jefferson's Reserve Bourbons. There are 4 now I believe. And I would start with the original, a very complex Bourbon to be savored neat.
Thanks for the recommendation. So I’ve just been looking the Jefferson’s up. It sells for around 10,000 yen (about $95) over here. I see it goes for $50 in the States. 16yo Lagavulin, on the other hand goes for $120 over there, but you can pick it up for ¥6000 over here. That’s $56. It might be a hard sell to get it past the wife, but may well give it a crack.

Thanks for the recommendation. So I’ve just been looking the Jefferson’s up. It sells for around 10,000 yen (about $95) over here. I see it goes for $50 in the States. 16yo Lagavulin, on the other hand goes for $120 over there, but you can pick it up for ¥6000 over here. That’s $56. It might be a hard sell to get it past the wife, but may well give it a crack.
Out of curiosity what does the Yamazaki 12 sell for there? In the US you had to search high & low for <$150.00 & that was before the tariff increases which everyone ended up taking regardless of country of origin.

Thanks

Hope you enjoy those cocktails, Cuz. It’s been awhile since Lynchburg Lemonade made its debut here in N, AL around 1980 by a local singer/lounge owner Tony Mason. You may remember JD came out with their own canned version of Lynchburg Lemonade. Mason claimed he owned the original recipe for the drink and sued JD for 13 million in 1987. He lost. I do remember having Lynchburg Lemonade in his bar before. They served them up in mason jars and like the man said, “if god had intended for me to drink from mason jars he’d have put grooves I’m my lips.”

That sounds about right. I was thinking late 70s, but even early 80s has been a long time back. I don't like Jack Daniels, or any whiskey, really, any way but plain. I don't even care for the venerable Jack and Coke, which is as much a staple at any bar around here as Budweiser. My dad used to mix his with black coffee. I tried it once. It gave me whole new level of respect for the guy.

And I'm in complete agreeance with you about the mason jars, Cuz. That's just a mess waiting to happen.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Out of curiosity what does the Yamazaki 12 sell for there? In the US you had to search high & low for <$150.00 & that was before the tariff increases which everyone ended up taking regardless of country of origin.
Just did a quick search. ¥9240 plus ¥500 shipping was the best deal I found.
That’s another reason I go for Scotch - it’s cheaper here than in Scotland.

Just did a quick search. ¥9240 plus ¥500 shipping was the best deal I found.
That’s another reason I go for Scotch - it’s cheaper here than in Scotland.
Converting, that would be a great price here!

PS: Any experience, opinions or ratings with these:

Fukano Whisky
Hakushu 12 Year
Hibiki Harmony
Kurayoshi malt Whisky
Kurayoshi Malt Whisky 12yr
Kurayoshi Malt Whisky 8yr
Kurayoshi Malt Whisky Sherry Cask
Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky
Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky
Nikka Miyagikyo Single Malt
Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt
Ohishi Whisky
Ohishi Whisky Sherry Cask
Suntory Toki

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
Converting, that would be a great price here!

PS: Any experience, opinions or ratings with these:

Fukano Whisky
Hakushu 12 Year
Hibiki Harmony
Kurayoshi malt Whisky
Kurayoshi Malt Whisky 12yr
Kurayoshi Malt Whisky 8yr
Kurayoshi Malt Whisky Sherry Cask
Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky
Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky
Nikka Miyagikyo Single Malt
Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt
Ohishi Whisky
Ohishi Whisky Sherry Cask
Suntory Toki
Yeah, tax on spirits is apparently very low over here. So again, scotch is cheaper here than in Scotland. I can sometimes find a Talisker for under ¥3000!
Japanese whisky, on the other hand tends to be expensive - especially since being recognised for its quality overseas. There are cheap ones, but they tend to be very nasty.
As for the ones you’ve mentioned, sorry, but I can’t help. I was given my bottle of Hibiki 17. Maybe once it’s done, we’ll look at another Japanese one, but for the most part, it looks like I’ll be sticking with Scotch and saving my money for hats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk