Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Wednesday evening I was out and about sipping an Surley Slayer (Kolsch Style Ale). It was a crisp fresh taste on a warm evening.

i-k3G4R7z-M.jpg

Tonight I fixed a pork loin roast, fresh corn and pickled cukes and red onion salad to eat with a Surley Saber Tooth Tiger IPA. I have been reading up on how to use my home beer brewing kit.

i-9kQHgxS-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I was on top of my breakfast game this morning. Caribou La Mintia Peaberry coffee, homemade hash browns, bacon and eggs prepared me for the beginning of the day. Caribou's Peaberry coffee is from a single source in Costa Rica. The coffee beans instead of forming 2 berries only form one. This intensifies the flavor and vibrancy. It is my favorite coffee outright.

i-Cp5Fx67-M.jpg

My morning yard chores whooped me and I went in for a brunch salad and a Surley Delicious IPA.

Brunch done, I went back to chainsaw efforts. This afternoon I am pleased to be almost complete and opened a crowler of Omni Sota Lager. This is an American Lager brewed and infused with Minnesota blueberries. A delicious lager with a sweet/finishing sour taste of our local blueberries. It hits the spot after a bunch of sweaty effort.

i-bfwTm5b-M.jpg

i-BJSBSGh-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Sounds good Rusty ... might have to give that a go. Also, I love the hat band. Any more details on that?

Thanks Bob, if I remember correctly.... this was a band that Mike got in a box of items at the Beaver Brand auction when we went there.
I don't remember any others in that box.
The hat is a Stetson Quintessential, I put the band and concho on myself.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Home today before the sun sets - cheers! I am out in the yard puttering about waiting for the herring to finish on the grill and the pasta and fresh spinach and tomato to finish in the kitchen. A VS Stratoliner inspired fedora in sage green is my hat choiceand a a Omni FAD (Freaking Awesome Delisious) Double IPA is my beer choice.

i-jKbxW4j-M.jpg

For the interested - dinner is served.

i-ZR5g8NG-S.jpg

Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Home I opened a crowler of Omni Sota Lager. The infusion of Minnesota blueberries I suspect is an aquired taste.

i-zvB23s5-M.jpg

Dinner is served. A Deschutes Freshed Squeezed IPA was my dinner beverage.

i-RBqSHjm-S.jpg

Sun brewed tea with some squeezed lemon slices are going down on the dock with me shortly.

Cheers folks, Eric -

Today is Jack Daniel's 170th birthday. As this Labor Day weekend arrives no matter what you've accomplished in life, good whiskey never lets you forget where you came from. Or those who never got the chance. I dedicate a special toast to all the generations who toiled before me to make a better life for us all.

Today is my dad's birthday too. These days family birthdays never fail to remind me of a favorite movie line by Gene Hackman, as family patriarch Nicholas Earp in Costner's movie, Wyatt Earp:

"Nothing counts so much as blood. The rest are just strangers."

Here's to you Dad!

IMG_8349.jpg

IMG_8356.jpg

18yr old Longmorn Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky bottled by First Editions (sorry Jack Daniel's!).

And a Stetson Shady Oak Farm Amon Carter 3X from Washer Bros.

Enjoy your weekend from toil.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Cheers folks!

Jack, I did not know about Jack Daniel's birthday. Happy B-Day Mr.Daniel. His legacy is strong.

I tip my hat brim in your direction to salute your father's birthday. Remembrance is an excellent tribute.

I got to choose what I was going to toil at today. Peaberry coffee this morning.

i-GXtbM9N-M.jpg

A Surley Delicious IPA after cutting the lawn.

i-KjD6XCg-M.jpg

Brunch was a sliced pork salad. The pork was marinated and coated in Woodford Reserve Bourbon, some hot spices and brown sugar. I presume that like cooking with wine were you use wine that you enjoy drinking cooking with, bourbon is the same. The pork roast captured the flavors of the bourbon and brown sugar. It was absolutely delicious. I sipped ice brewed coffee and some of the Woodford.

i-LcT7pRt-M.jpg

This evening I am enjoying sipping a Guinness Stout. This stouts roasted bitterness is excellent in the early evening mid 60'f weather. I was feeling hungry so I fixed a quick late dinner of eggs, cornbread and sweet/spicy relish (homemade roasted tomatoes/jalapeno peppers/red peppers, sugar, onions and other spices) on everything.

i-pgH4xcg-M.jpg

i-TV7xSTh-M.jpg

Cheers to all, Eric -

Last edited:
The pork was marinated and coated in Woodford Reserve Bourbon, some hot spices and brown sugar. I presume that like cooking with wine were you use wine that you enjoy drinking cooking with, bourbon is the same. The pork roast captured the flavors of the bourbon and brown sugar. It was absolutely delicious.
I usually marinate steaks in bourbon in the refrigerator for about 15 min per side just before grilling. The bourbon I usually use is Makers Mark because I have a bottle & don't drink it. Any good bourbon will work. The last thing I do after draining them & before dropping them on the hot grill is sprinkle both sides with a steak rub. I happen to use something from Omaha Steaks, sometimes I use Willingham's Blackened Cajun Seasoning. The bourbon will impart a nice carmelized taste to the beef. Works great for strips, ribeyes or porterhouse steaks. If the beef is fresh from the butcher & not grocery store meat; even better!

Thanks for the kind thoughts. My dad has been on my mind a lot lately.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I sous vide infused some Myers rum with raisins. The rum tastes great and I’m sure the raisins will be amazing with ice cream. View attachment 258996 View attachment 258997 My Knox raffia seems like the most appropriate match.

Sounds terrific! Well done sir.

Your post brings back memories of my late Aunt who claimed the arthritis in her hands was solved in the morning by having some raisins that had been sous vide infused in gin. She said her immigrant mother (Finland) and old country grandmother did the same. I recall my Grandmother shoveling her driveway in Northern Minnesota in her 90's saying she would go out for 20 minutes at a time and come in and sip some wine (she had Mogan David wine or home made from local berries). and have some raisins and be ready to go back to shoveling. She lived in her own house til her passing at 99 years old. I got to make me some of those special raisins!

On ice cream - that sounds delicious.

Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I was sipping a beer, Omni Strawberry Lemonade Smoothie sour IPA whilst I went out to gather tomatoes from our garden. I discovered this beer tucked in the back of the beer refrigerator this morning. Good thing I was rearranging beers as I would have not found this beer until late Fall or even Winter. Drinking this beer in cold weather would be wrong!

This is a fun beer I sipped this late morning that reminds me of mid-summer hot summer days.

i-Nzfv6Gd-M.jpg

BTW - Our household is switching to tomatoe meals all day, everyday to better enjoy the tomato bounty that we are reaping. Thank goodness our basil/parsley/cilantro is keeping pace with the tomato harvest.

i-vHhrZGt-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Thank goodness our basil/parsley/cilantro is keeping pace with the tomato harvest.
Sounds like the makings of a good brick oven pizza in an outdoor pizza oven.

This is new in my area but trying to get in the liquor store on a holiday weekend is futile. Alaskan Husky IPA is made from glacier-fed water and features Mosaic hops and premium Pilsen malt. Sounds refreshing & might bring some cooler weather. I'll get some soon.

IMG_0460.JPG

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like the makings of a good brick oven pizza in an outdoor pizza oven.

This is new in my area but trying to get in the liquor store on a holiday weekend is futile. Alaskan Husky IPA is made from glacier-fed water and features Mosaic hops and premium Pilsen malt. Sounds refreshing & might bring some cooler weather. I'll get some soon.
View attachment 259085

Pizza - good call. I have been reading about roasted, stuffed, layered potato/squash, and or course cheese and tomatos. I ordered on-line for some fresh Mozzarella from our local fromagerie.

Jack, it does sound like a good IPA. It has been a while since I have seen Alaskan in my local beer coolers.

Mosaic hops have a berry and earthy aroma. The taste varies more with the Hops used, IMO. The local brew Surley Todd The Axe Man IPA with Mosaic hops is a go to fav of mine.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Sounds terrific! Well done sir.

Your post brings back memories of my late Aunt who claimed the arthritis in her hands was solved in the morning by having some raisins that had been sous vide infused in gin. She said her immigrant mother (Finland) and old country grandmother did the same. I recall my Grandmother shoveling her driveway in Northern Minnesota in her 90's saying she would go out for 20 minutes at a time and come in and sip some wine (she had Mogan David wine or home made from local berries). and have some raisins and be ready to go back to shoveling. She lived in her own house til her passing at 99 years old. I got to make me some of those special raisins!

On ice cream - that sounds delicious.

Eric -
Sous vide infused alcohol solves a lot of problems!
I have infused vodka with coffee beans, vanilla, blueberries and star anise (separately). All delicious (though my wife would suggest otherwise for the star anise).

Today is Jack Daniel's 170th birthday. As this Labor Day weekend arrives no matter what you've accomplished in life, good whiskey never lets you forget where you came from. Or those who never got the chance. I dedicate a special toast to all the generations who toiled before me to make a better life for us all.

Today is my dad's birthday too. These days family birthdays never fail to remind me of a favorite movie line by Gene Hackman, as family patriarch Nicholas Earp in Costner's movie, Wyatt Earp:

"Nothing counts so much as blood. The rest are just strangers."

Here's to you Dad!

View attachment 258889

View attachment 258890

18yr old Longmorn Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky bottled by First Editions (sorry Jack Daniel's!).

And a Stetson Shady Oak Farm Amon Carter 3X from Washer Bros.

Enjoy your weekend from toil.
I didn't know that fact about Jack, Jack, but thanks for sharing it. By complete coincidence I picked up a bottle of old #7 on the way home from work Saturday. I haven't cracked the seal yet because I've been on call this weekend and have spent more of it down at the hospital than I have at home relaxing, but rest assured that when I hand off the emergency pager to the next guy later this week I'll put down a shot or two. I'll raise one in honor of your dad, and of my own, and of all the rest of the dad's whether they've gone on or are still kicking, because none of us would be where we are without them.

I didn't know that fact about Jack, Jack, but thanks for sharing it. By complete coincidence I picked up a bottle of old #7 on the way home from work Saturday. I haven't cracked the seal yet because I've been on call this weekend and have spent more of it down at the hospital than I have at home relaxing, but rest assured that when I hand off the emergency pager to the next guy later this week I'll put down a shot or two. I'll raise one in honor of your dad, and of my own, and of all the rest of the dad's whether they've gone on or are still kicking, because none of us would be where we are without them.
I have two vintage sets of Old #7 rocks glasses. Very nice sentiment, Dale. I hope you get to spend your day at home & not at work. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points