Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I’ve changed up from Bailey’s Irish Cream and gave Carolans Irish Cream a try. I’m really enjoying it. It’s a strong Irish whiskey, cream and a hint of honey.

2313A824-40F1-4E8D-97A0-70BD3BE3E68B.jpeg

Steven

The Shoe

One Too Many
‘Roo leather for burgers at the pit yesterday - complete with fresh herb and toasted cumin buns cooked on the barbecue. These were so good!
Today it’s the same hat for Texan Ninja ribs - I made a Texas style dry rub and decided this morning to change things up a bit. I dry fried some sansho (literally mountain pepper), ground it up and added it to the rub. Sansho has a pungent fruity flavour and a different kind of spiciness that numbs your mouth and lips.
If they’re as good as I think they’ll be I might have to patent the name & start selling the rub!

Edit:Oops, wrong thread. But rest assured, I’m enjoying a couple or three brews as I barbecue!

F94F4CC2-9685-4503-965C-C2465E78302D.jpeg
F2ADDD4C-73A0-4E89-8CA6-A72FB197C727.jpeg
2F984D13-6116-4DBC-92BD-6B15C3964E1B.jpeg
D925CCEE-802D-43C5-ADAE-FC5935D900CD.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
‘Roo leather for burgers at the pit yesterday - complete with fresh herb and toasted cumin buns cooked on the barbecue. These were so good!
Today it’s the same hat for Texan Ninja ribs - I made a Texas style dry rub and decided this morning to change things up a bit. I dry fried some sansho (literally mountain pepper), ground it up and added it to the rub. Sansho has a pungent fruity flavour and a different kind of spiciness that numbs your mouth and lips.
If they’re as good as I think they’ll be I might have to patent the name & start selling the rub!

Edit:Oops, wrong thread. But rest assured, I’m enjoying a couple or three brews as I barbecue!

View attachment 253966 View attachment 253969 View attachment 253967 View attachment 253968

Ninja ribs and some brews makes for a tasty Friday.

Out with Guatamela single source coffee this morning. I am nearing the last of this coffee and will miss it when it is gone.

i-2HWw3Vr-S.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Some nice looking ribs there! For the base of my rub I use fresh ground paprika & chili powder, plus other spices. To add heat I melt a mix of jalapeño jelly & strawberry jelly in a double boiler & add it to a thin BBQ sauce. For beef I sometimes use grape jelly instead.

After smoking my ribs for 5 hrs & enjoying a growler of Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA, I later finished off the night with Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14.

IMG_8244.jpg

IMG_8245.jpg

The Shoe

One Too Many
Ninja ribs and some brews makes for a tasty Friday.

Out with Guatamela single source coffee this morning. I am nearing the last of this coffee and will miss it when it is gone.

i-2HWw3Vr-S.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
I made my first cold brew coffee last night for consumption today. Both my wife & I enjoyed it immensely. Thank you for the recipe.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Some nice looking ribs there! For the base of my rub I use fresh ground paprika & chili powder, plus other spices. To add heat I melt a mix of jalapeño jelly & strawberry jelly in a double boiler & add it to a thin BBQ sauce. For beef I sometimes use grape jelly instead.

After smoking my ribs for 5 hrs & enjoying a growler of Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA, I later finished off the night with Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14.

View attachment 254015

View attachment 254014

Five hour ribs make my mouth water. I love the smell as you open the smoker at the finish. If the scent was bottled I would buy it. Balvenie is a tasty way to finish. Cheers Jack.

I made my first cold brew coffee last night for consumption today. Both my wife & I enjoyed it immensely. Thank you for the recipe.

You are welcome.

This afternoon I grilled chicken thighs (marinated in Kishibori Shoyu soy sauce and Yum Yum sauce) and added it to a salad (fixings thanks to our local Farmer's Market this morning). A Guinness Stout was a dynamite pairing to the cool and very flavorful salad.

i-Zwb6M8P-M.jpg

i-95q5GB3-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Rebel Yell 100. This wheated bourbon is almost always a must-buy for me if it's available when I visit the local liquor store. It's fairly cheap, and offers a nice punch where other brands would charge more for a higher APV. The flavor profile is quite nice, but doesn't offer anything special. In my opinion, there aren't any downsides to complain about either. It's a little spicy for a wheater, but I attribute that to the higher APV content. That being said, the alcohol burn isn't as noticable as it is in other higher proof drinks. All in all, there's nothing exceptional about Rebel Yell 100, but it's still pretty darn good.

Akubra Lightning Ridge along for the ride.
IMG_20200815_015038.jpg

Rebel Yell 100. This wheated bourbon is almost always a must-buy for me if it's available when I visit the local liquor store. It's fairly cheap, and offers a nice punch where other brands would charge more for a higher APV. The flavor profile is quite nice, but doesn't offer anything special. In my opinion, there aren't any downsides to complain about either. It's a little spicy for a wheater, but I attribute that to the higher APV content. That being said, the alcohol burn isn't as noticable as it is in other higher proof drinks. All in all, there's nothing exceptional about Rebel Yell 100, but it's still pretty darn good.

Akubra Lightning Ridge along for the ride. View attachment 254141
Try some Wood Hat Spirits Blue Corn White Whiskey. The taste is a little too much on the corn side but it's not Aged. I much prefer the Aged Blue Corn but I like to have some of this around. Another shooter.

IMG_8248.jpg

IMG_8247.jpg

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Try some Wood Hat Spirits Blue Corn White Whiskey. The taste is a little too much on the corn side but it's not Aged. I much prefer the Aged Blue Corn but I like to have some of this around. Another shooter.

View attachment 254154

View attachment 254153
I've been intrigued by your past post(s) on Wood Hat. I haven't noticed it in stores around here, but if I ever come across it I will be sure to give it a try.

I've been intrigued by your past post(s) on Wood Hat. I haven't noticed it in stores around here, but if I ever come across it I will be sure to give it a try.
The problem with the craft whiskey industry & its distillers (same with microbreweries) is their small output & distribution network. Reminds me of the mystique over it & the road trips for Coors beer back in the day. I haven't drank a Coors in yrs but I'm sure if I did now I would wonder what all the fuss was about.

Rumad

One Too Many
Reminds me of the mystique over it & the road trips for Coors beer back in the day.

HA! You did that too?? We used to drive hours to get Coors in the 80’s. As I recall, Coors was better tasting, richer than it is now, as well as higher ABV at the time. All the fuss is gone. It now seems hypocritical of me to have travelled in search of a better tasting brew and at the same time having a fondness for Night Train. The Night Train had to be ice cold though.

The problem with the craft whiskey industry & its distillers (same with microbreweries) is their small output & distribution network. Reminds me of the mystique over it & the road trips for Coors beer back in the day. I haven't drank a Coors in yrs but I'm sure if I did now I would wonder what all the fuss was about.
Reminds me of a saying about the color of the grass and a fence.

Although I'd still pick Coors over Bud or Miller

The first time I went West in the late 70’s, my buddy’s Pontiac Gran Prix looked like a backwoods AL bootlegger floating down the Interstate on the way back. Backseat and trunk full of Yellowjackets and other unobtainables.

Last edited:
Old Scout Smooth Ambler Bourbon is an MGP product & this is a 5 yr old barrel pick after being off the market for 3 yrs. It's distilled at 58.7% ABV making it 117 proof. So I had to try it. The original Old Scout Smooth Ambler was a 7 yr old @ 99 proof. I don't know if MGP will be bringing it back or not.

An ol' timer taught me two things when drinking high-octane whiskey; take a small sip first, hold it and let it anesthetize your palate. And if you're in for a long session order a water back to keep from dehydrating.

IMG_8256.jpg

IMG_8260.jpg

IMG_8261.jpg

I don't know anything about the Cask it was aged in; toasted new, first fill, etc? Drinking neat, up front I get a bit of Oak, Cherry (not Sherry) but neither sweet or tart, & alcohol but not medicinal like. In the aftertaste the cherry seems to mellow to a vanilla perhaps.

Tried 3 fingers with a teaspoon of water & maybe 2 teaspoons of ice chips; no cubes. That mellows it out quite a bit. Less alcohol up front & more Rye spice such as mint & black pepper in the aftertaste.

Not as smooth as Knob Creek "120" but about $7 cheaper.

Wearing my Churchill Dalworth 40 today.

IMG_8254.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Most of the time if I indulge myself in an adult beverage, it's whiskey. I'll have an occasional beer In social settings, but most of the time it's whiskey. Over the past few months I've delved into the realm of rum. I'm not well versed in it, but it's a good change of pace. One of the favorites that I've been introduced to is Zacapa. A great sipper with a nice body to it. In trying to find something a bit cheaper, I was recommended a brand by the name of Zaya. I was told it was very similar for about $20 less. In my opinion, I have to say that it missed the mark. The initial hit of flavor is nice. Sweet and somewhat light, but quickly a taste hits that leaves me feeling as if it were stored in a plastic bottle over time. The upsides are nice, but that quick aftertaste almost negates everything I like about it. I'll finish the bottle and enjoy it, but I will probably find something else to fill the niche in the future.

Rebel Yell 100 on deck for the weekend. View attachment 253718

Sounds tasty. I too have not tasted enough Rum to have any definitive preferences. I know my wife has a few bottles in the cabinet, but I partake only a few times a year. I will endeavor to change this paradigm.

Ribs are in, time for some IPA's & enjoy the smoke!

View attachment 253821

Earlier on the run for some Dogfish Head.

View attachment 253822
MMMMMMMM!

I’ve changed up from Bailey’s Irish Cream and gave Carolans Irish Cream a try. I’m really enjoying it. It’s a strong Irish whiskey, cream and a hint of honey.

View attachment 253918

Steven

Steven, I have two un-opened bottles of Baileys in the cabinet. After a couple of years I really should open one and enjoy the drink. As I recall I enjoyed it with coffee, with half and half and with Guinness (Irish Car Bomb). Cheers.

Akubra Lightning Ridge along for the ride. View attachment 254141

You folks have me looking at Rebel Yell in my local liquor store. Darn good is a terrific recommendation.

Old Scout Smooth Ambler Bourbon is an MGP product & this is a 5 yr old barrel pick after being off the market for 3 yrs. It's distilled at 58.7% ABV making it 117 proof. So I had to try it. The original Old Scout Smooth Ambler was a 7 yr old @ 99 proof. I don't know if MGP will be bringing it back or not.

An ol' timer taught me two things when drinking high-octane whiskey; take a small sip first, hold it and let it anesthetize your palate. And if you're in for a long session order a water back to keep from dehydrating.

View attachment 254944

View attachment 254945

View attachment 254946

I don't know anything about the Cask it was aged in; toasted new, first fill, etc? Drinking neat, up front I get a bit of Oak, Cherry (not Sherry) but neither sweet or tart, & alcohol but not medicinal like. In the aftertaste the cherry seems to mellow to a vanilla perhaps.

Tried 3 fingers with a teaspoon of water & maybe 2 teaspoons of ice chips; no cubes. That mellows it out quite a bit. Less alcohol up front & more Rye spice such as mint & black pepper in the aftertaste.

Not as smooth as Knob Creek "120" but about $7 cheaper.

Wearing my Churchill Dalworth 40 today.

View attachment 254943

Excellent advise from the "ol'timer." I agree that water and ice chips mellows some of the very high ABV to be appreciated, IMO. Old Scout I will have to add it to my "look for list."

Earlier this week I tasted some 2018 Dead Rabbit Irish Whiskey at my brothers and ice chips made it excellent. https://deadrabbitirishwhiskey.com/story/ This is an intersting tasting Irish whiskey. I will be heading back on Sunday to have a further taste. My brother picked it up on sale for ,$30.00. Taste review to come.

Mid week I was, un-usually, home before the sunset and enjoyed a Surley IPA. Tonight I am enjoying a Deschutes Freshly Squeezed IPA. My wife and I are sitting in the screen porch above the boathouse and enjoying the beer and popcorn. Butter, pepper and sweet curry are sprinkled on the freshly popped popcorn. Glorious evening here!

i-jfqFkvB-M.jpg

i-jg46Whp-M.jpg

i-jkzNkNC-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

The Shoe

One Too Many
Most of the time if I indulge myself in an adult beverage, it's whiskey. I'll have an occasional beer In social settings, but most of the time it's whiskey. Over the past few months I've delved into the realm of rum. I'm not well versed in it, but it's a good change of pace. One of the favorites that I've been introduced to is Zacapa. A great sipper with a nice body to it. In trying to find something a bit cheaper, I was recommended a brand by the name of Zaya. I was told it was very similar for about $20 less. In my opinion, I have to say that it missed the mark. The initial hit of flavor is nice. Sweet and somewhat light, but quickly a taste hits that leaves me feeling as if it were stored in a plastic bottle over time. The upsides are nice, but that quick aftertaste almost negates everything I like about it. I'll finish the bottle and enjoy it, but I will probably find something else to fill the niche in the future.

Rebel Yell 100 on deck for the weekend. View attachment 253718
I’ve never managed to get a taste for whiskey. I’m solidly in the whisky camp. I’ve tried the usual subjects - JD, JB, Wild Turkey - and a few more expensive ones whose names escape me.
Perhaps I’ll take a photo of the whiskey shelf at my local supplier and see if I can’t get some recommendations from the FL crowd that will convert me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland