Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Close, had Cardhu from my Father-in-law's stash I believe. I also had a bottle of Dallas Dhu from a now closed distillery, that one was a Highland malt.
How do you like the Craigellachie?
You can still sometimes find some independent bottlings of Dallas Dhu so they must still have some Whisky laid down, but yes, the Distillery closed in the mid-1980's.

I was hoping the Craigellachie could replace the Cragganmore at a much cheaper price point in my stock, but if I can keep buying Cragganmore ahead at a price, then that probably won't happen. Cragganmore 12 is distilled at 80 proof & is just so nice & smooth. The Craigellachie 13 is 96 proof & the taste seems to be finicky & depends on when & what you last ate for a meal. It's not as complex as the Cragganmore either, sometimes being very Bourbon like.

You can still sometimes find some independent bottlings of Dallas Dhu so they must still have some Whisky laid down, but yes, the Distillery closed in the mid-1980's.

I was hoping the Craigellachie could replace the Cragganmore at a much cheaper price point in my stock, but if I can keep buying Cragganmore ahead at a price, then that probably won't happen. Cragganmore 12 is distilled at 80 proof & is just so nice & smooth. The Craigellachie 13 is 96 proof & the taste seems to be finicky & depends on when & what you last ate for a meal. It's not as complex as the Cragganmore either, sometimes being very Bourbon like.
OK, sounds like you prefer the Cragganmore. Do you get yours locally? We used to have a great wine and liquor store close to our house but it closed about 10 years ago. Now I get liquor from a couple of local grocery stores with State licenses, so the selection is not as great. Since I will be retiring in a couple of years, I think I will start a Scotch tasting schedule:rolleyes:.

OK, sounds like you prefer the Cragganmore. Do you get yours locally? We used to have a great wine and liquor store close to our house but it closed about 10 years ago. Now I get liquor from a couple of local grocery stores with State licenses, so the selection is not as great. Since I will be retiring in a couple of years, I think I will start a Scotch tasting schedule:rolleyes:.
I can get both locally. I was shipping the Cragganmore in because it was cheaper than local but that could come to a halt. I have a couple bottles put away in backstock.

I'm gonna start exploring my options, lots of good Scotches out there.
One of the local quality liquor stores will send out preorder sales & flash sales by email & text on higher end stuff to regular customers he knows are capable of taking advantage of it. It helps him out too when he gets a special offer from his reps & distributors.

NBD. Maestro Dobel Diamanté Tequila. A blend of Dobel's Reposado, Anejo, & Extra Anejo tequilas, then filtered for an 80 proof Cristalino sipping tequila. The taste of blue agave is reduced by the blending & filtering. If you're not a fan of the taste of cooked blue agave this might be for you.

Been wearing my brown Gannon dress weight TAR today.

IMG_9958.jpg

IMG_9959.jpg

IMG_9960.jpg

IMG_9961.jpg

IMG_9962.jpg

Last edited:
Jack, let us know how they compare. I got some Wee Beastie and like it.
There's certainly nothing wrong with it & it continually rates well, but I'll have a better idea how it rates with me after another session or two with it. It's a bit smoother than Wee Beastie; @92 proof & aged five yrs longer. Wee Beastie is a 5 yr young Whisky blended with much older casks of Ardbeg; @95 proof. Age statements have to go with the youngest Whisky in the vatted blend.

I would say now that Ten is much brighter than WB. It has a lemon zest or lemon peel taste to balance against the vanilla. Not sure I'm fond of the lemon. Need more time with it first.

Glad you like the WB, whether drinking it neat or with a drop of good water. I enjoy it as a regular Malt that doesn't break the bank. Maybe Ten will fit in too, it's only about $4 more than WB.

NBD. Maestro Dobel Diamanté Tequila. A blend of Dobel's Reposado, Anejo, & Extra Anejo tequilas, then filtered for an 80 proof Cristalino sipping tequila. The taste of blue agave is reduced by the blending & filtering. If you're not a fan of the taste of cooked blue agave this might be for you.

Been wearing my brown Gannon dress weight TAR today.

View attachment 305444

View attachment 305445

View attachment 305446

View attachment 305447

View attachment 305448

Oh, yeah.

My first session was mostly smoke and peat. The second session I'm noticing vanilla aroma and taste, along with black pepper. I am not well versed in single malts, so my descriptions could be flawed. I like this very much though, and will keep it in rotation!
It's amazing how long dead vegetation such as lichens, moss & grasses in boggy mud can flavor the barley. And with all the various regions & elevations influencing the vegetation that grows and the quality of the water. Always found that very interesting.

The black pepper & peppercorns is prominent in a lot of peaty
Single Malts. I like the woodsmoke, the smoked meat flavors of Islay's & I think that's why they pair so well with a charcoal grilled steak, & bring so much to roasted chicken.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's amazing how long dead vegetation such as lichens, moss & grasses in boggy mud can flavor the barley. And with all the various regions & elevations influencing the vegetation that grows and the quality of the water. Always found that very interesting.

The black pepper & peppercorns is prominent in a lot of peaty
Single Malts. I like the woodsmoke, the smoked meat flavors of Islay's & I think that's why they pair so well with a charcoal grilled steak, & bring so much to roasted chicken.
A very interesting subject, with a long history! I also like the smoke. I bet a fine cigar would pair well also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails