Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Today Feb 8th is International Scotch Whisky Day. Drink the best!

B3A3E970-C775-4726-BB0B-ABA3D3A568EC.jpeg

A029FC67-521B-4E5F-9CC3-679BEE2E3351.jpeg

The Shoe

One Too Many
Last edited:
It’s already tomorrow over here in Japan. You must post dates like this earlier so that those a day ahead of you are not a year behI do. It has been duly added to my iPhone calendar on a yearly repeat.
You picked a beauty to celebrate with.
I’ll try to remember to look a month ahead. I do the same thing with them loaded on my calendar.

I know you like Scotch so you will want to mark April 6 as the Declaration of Arbroath going all the way back to 1320 when the Scots basically sent a letter to Great Britain declaring their own sovereign independence. No shots were fired!

RBH

Bartender
I’ll try to remember to look a month ahead. I do the same thing with them loaded on my calendar.

I know you like Scotch so you will want to mark April 6 as the Declaration of Arbroath going all the way back to 1320 when the Scots basically sent a letter to Great Britain declaring their own sovereign independence. No shots were fired!
But I bet a few 'shots' were thrown back!!!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good Wednesday evening folks. Home a bit ago and walked about with my dog while sipping a Guinness. The beer and walkabout is a relaxing wind down to a long day.

i-mMFmk56-M.jpg

Finished with my beer and I am celebrating Scottish Whiskey Day with a dram of Arbelour Casg Annamh. This is a darn fine whiskey! Spice, kick and a the right bit of dry sherry are what I enjoy on the tongue and mouth.

i-ZVQJTHP-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many

Duly added to the calendar.
Finishing off the Knob Creek. What to have next…:rolleyes:
272C4699-DFB1-4E4F-895A-83956075EEB5.jpeg

While I’ve got your attention, have you (or anyone else here) tried this?
I read some good things about it and am considering grabbing a bottle.
80D6AE6A-DF6B-47FC-B287-5AD4BCD73079.jpeg

The hat is the modern Panizza I wear to work because I don’t like it enough to wear in leisure time.

I read some good things about it and am considering grabbing a bottle.
Can't get it here; no one distributes it. From what I understand it's more like an Island Single Malt than an Islay; sea salt & briny, no Peat or smoky taste.

You might enjoy it with fish & seafood. I used to have some business dinners at McCormick & Schmick's Seafood place. They have a sea bass that was delicious & they recommend you pair it with an Island Single Malt. Only time I've drank an Island Malt.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Can't get it here; no one distributes it. From what I understand it's more like an Island Single Malt than an Islay; sea salt & briny, no Peat or smoky taste.

You might enjoy it with fish & seafood. I used to have some business dinners at McCormick & Schmick's Seafood place. They have a sea bass that was delicious & they recommend you pair it with an Island Single Malt. Only time I've drank an Island Malt.

My immediate thought from your description was “something like Talisker?” (no bad thing). My second thought was “you’ve never had Talisker!?”. Surely that needs to be remedied!
Here’s another that was recommended by the same site…
093FDF84-E3C8-442E-98ED-A4566F5DC079.jpeg

Any idea about this one?

My immediate thought from your description was “something like Talisker?” (no bad thing). My second thought was “you’ve never had Talisker!?”. Surely that needs to be remedied!
Here’s another that was recommended by the same site… View attachment 401084
Any idea about this one?
Even though Talisker is distilled on the Isle of Skye, due to the elevation among other things it has more of the profile of a Highlands Malt. I can buy Talisker 10 here & like it fine for a mild tasting Highlands Malt, but it has pricepoint competition from plenty of Highland Speysides so I don't keep it as a regular of mine.

Typical Island Malts would be Jura, Orkney, & now Arran since the distillery has reopened. I forgot I bought a bottle of Arran Robert Burns. It's NAS & young but at a price point <$40.

Deanston 12 is available here. A mild tasting Highlands Malt, it only scores about a 70. I've never bought a bottle.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Even though Talisker is distilled on the Isle of Skye, due to the elevation among other things it has more of the profile of a Highlands Malt. I can buy Talisker 10 here & like it fine for a mild tasting Highlands Malt, but it has pricepoint competition from plenty of Highland Speysides so I don't keep it as a regular of mine.

Typical Island Malts would be Jura, Orkney, & now Arran since the distillery has reopened. I forgot I bought a bottle of Arran Robert Burns. It's NAS & young but at a price point <$40.

Deanston 12 is available here. A mild tasting Highlands Malt, it only scores about a 70. I've never bought a bottle.
I just ordered a bottle of the Bunnahabhain 12. Having enjoyed my recent adventures with American whiskeys, I think it’s time to try some new (to me) varieties of Scotch.

Happy hour sometimes just means you need to get away from your hacienda for a couple hrs & have some fun. I grabbed a Stetson One-hundred (always a positive mood changer) & disappeared for a few Negra Modelos this afternoon.

37CC21CE-B988-4E10-A71B-4A52EEB0D991.jpeg

5E0CDBFB-9C8A-4512-8153-C0ED92E57592.jpeg

A775CAA6-0064-4B85-AE43-6776A1A65F60.jpeg

As the early dinner crowd started to filter in it was time for me to clear out and head for home.

7BA7C2B8-F8EB-40D2-90EC-852AB72FF8BE.jpeg

After getting everything taken care of for the evening it was time to break open a new bottle of Tequila Ocho Blanco.
6F3D47B3-581C-43F9-BF65-47090024E77A.jpeg

6EE79B2A-9EBC-40E4-A37D-8CD5087BAD69.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner